Mandolin/Uke

Ukelid

Reaction score
I love screwing my head up, playing mandolin then ukulele, then guitar. Let's call it cranial calestetics.

every time I hear someone say they do something involving circuiting between different activities, i think of those P90X infomercials where they use the term "muscle confusion". XD

Nice thing is, the more you do it, the easier it becomes switching back and forth. Try adding some completely different instruments to the mix, such as pennywhistle (many different pitches), flute (added embouchure issues), fiddle(bowing), concertina (that push-pull thing) etc.

And of course there is also the harmonica... Comparitavely inexpensive even for good ones. And it really is a real instrument in spite of what some may say. Certainly no less real than a uke...;)

And of course there is also the harmonica... Comparitavely inexpensive even for good ones. And it really is a real instrument in spite of what some may say. Certainly no less real than a uke...;)

Ah, the harmonica. I just inherited my father's M Hohner 64 Chromonica Professional (4 chromatic octave harmonica), made in Germany - originally purchased in the early '40s. With the original wooden box.

I think the comb may need to be replaced/rebuilt. Any recommendations on someone skilled in that area?

Nice thing is, the more you do it, the easier it becomes switching back and forth. Try adding some completely different instruments to the mix, such as pennywhistle (many different pitches), flute (added embouchure issues), fiddle(bowing), concertina (that push-pull thing) etc.
Hey, Paul. As you know, I do uke, mandolin, fiddle and whistle.

That getting-easier thing... When do you reckon I can expect to see that kick in? No sign of it yet! LOLz.

Seriously, I still find myself fretting mando chords on uke and vice versa if my attention wanders for a split second.

It's all fun though. :)

try two at once. Maybe you can duct-tape a uke to your mandolin.

I remember watching James Galway play two pennywhistles at once on the Tonight Show.

I'm forever playing a d instead of a g on guitar. Now. I've tuned my guitar yo open c and my other in standard e so with the uke as well my head hurts

I'm in the same position as you are. I play guitar, mandolin and ukulele. My problem is that I like those 3 so much that When I'm playing with one, I looked at the other instruments and feel like switching every 20 min...

But man, it's fun!!!

The only thing about switching between instruments that really fazes me any more is the interval spacing.... It's a little disconcerting to go from bass to soprano uke and back. I play violin/fiddle (classical and jazz, that is), classical guitar, acoustic guitar, bass, and uke these days.

I've found that I think completely differently on different instruments, particularly if I'm actually reading music notation.

I have found a way to combat confusion when switchin between instruments. I simply play so badly on both that no-one notices if i play uke chords on my guitar or vice versa. The only downside is the repeated visits from the rspca thinking that there has to be some kind of animal torture occuring.

I go between the C tuned D tuned reentrant ukes and baritone ukes , Guitar in std and open E tunings and Harp. When we perform. Tried mado, and liked it cause the fingering was totally different for the chords but the darn neck was just too thin. Sometime switching between tunings makes my head explode, but in a good way.

I like to screw my head up with a good single malt.

I second this especially a scottish single malt at cask strength.

And then I try to play the ukulele, guitar, mandolin, or piano. If I'm feeling especially self-loathing I will get out the accordian or the theremin. The latter happens if I hate everyone within hearing range :-D

Top Bottom