Q- fret position markers

Ron

Reaction score
whaddya call 'em? You know the dots on the fret board.
My chum has a Kala archtop which doesn't have them on the finger board where he likes them. Any one ever used those stick on ones? Other ideas? Short of having the actual skills to inlay them, of course.

I've never used the stick on ones but I have used a wood/carpenter's pen (can't remember what they're really called) to make little dots on the fretboard of my bass guitar. They are non-permanent and easily removed without leaving a mark. This was a trick I picked up from a violin player who used it to mark her finger positions when she was learning.

whaddya call 'em? You know the dots on the fret board.

This is clever. They are called "fret dots". :D

You might try just some little office stickers (the red, green, blue, and yellow ones). I don't get why some 'ukuleles get dots in different places. I had a Hula Ukes that had one on the 9th instead of the 10th fret. I got used to it eventually, but hello? 5th, 7th, 10th, 12th is what I think the standard should be.

I put some skull and crossbones stickers on my beater . I got them on Ebay and they are made for guitars. They look cool and appear to be mother of pearl inlays. It's hard to tell they are stickers.

Attachments

• CIMG3101.jpg
    CIMG3101.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 33
  • CIMG3100.jpg
    CIMG3100.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 18
You can see the ones I put on my Fluke here in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMveoH1-_t0

I got them from this eBay seller.

He also has a website.

He has fret markers especially for ukuleles, but he has lots of other cool stuff too! Also, he has great customer service--if anything isn't right, just let him know and he'll make it right immediately. I'm not connected to him in any way, just a happy customer. :)

I have other fret markers I've bought and some other doodads--I just haven't gotten around to blinging up my other ukes yet. :)

ALSO: check out this thread!

CountryMouse

I go the cheap -- read:inexpensive -- way. Nail polish. Don't the stickers eventually wear off?

I go the cheap -- read:inexpensive -- way. Nail polish. Don't the stickers eventually wear off?

I can't use nail polish--skin allergy to lacquer. I don't know how long the stickers last, but they go on good and tight. Look pretty, don't feel weird. Not that expensive. :)

CountryMouse

Top Bottom