Baritone uke/Classical guitar tonal differences?

rockchic56

Reaction score
I'm pretty new to ukulele but have been playing guitar for about 16 years. I purchased my 1st soprano uke last week and really love it. It's a bit of a challenge to play due to its small size, but I have small hands, so with time & practice I'm sure I will improve. I also currently own a La Patrie classical guitar & was wondering if there is much of a tonal difference between a nylon string classical guitar and a baritone uke? I'm thinking of buying another uke & want ukulele sounds, not something that's going to be quite similar to my classical guitar in tone. Thanks in advance for any responses!

Welcome to UU. :)

Of course it depends on the instruments, but you can safely say that the tone of a baritone ukulele will have more in common with a classical guitar than an ukulele of another size. If there's a store nearby that sells ukuleles, you should go down and try out a tenor or concert for size.

Check your state's ukulele stores in the Ukulele Stores thread that I have linked below.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?16519-Ukulele-Stores-USA

A baritone uke tuned in DGBE tuning will sound very similar to a classical guitar. They're very similar in how they are built.

If a Soprano's frets are too close for comfort, try a Tenor in GCEA :)

Check out this vid that I just posted.... I start out on classical... Jose Ramirez strung with Thomastik Ropecores. Jimi is playing lead at the beginning on a tenor Halekoa uke strung with Aquilas. He plays rhythm once I switch to fiddle. It's an interesting comparison in tone but not exhaustive. I think his uke sounds quite classical when fingerpicked, but strummed, it sounds more ukey.

The sound recording is very true to live sound... recorded ambient on a Roland something-or-other. The uke is amped slightly to match volume levels with my violin. Violin and guitar are not amped.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h3oZ4POr7Y

The baritone is similar to a classical guitar because they are traditionally tuned exactly the same, less the two lower (in tone) strings.

You can always buy different strings for the baritone, for a more "ukulele sound" tuning.

Here's a thread that was being batted around yesterday: "Baritone Uke with high G string"

Though I like my baritone to sound like a baritone (and the fact that I don't own a guitar), there is more room on the fretboard. The neck is a little wider and there is more distance between the frets.

If you're considering a baritone, I really liked the Ohana I got for my girlfriend.

Top Bottom