PDA

View Full Version : My new Dolphin

Skitzic
02-10-2010, 03:41 AM
My new Dolphin came in the mail yesterday! :nana:

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn5/Skitzic/Instruments/purpledolphin.jpg

Only photo I have, taken with my blackberry so you'll have to bear with me.

I took it with me to work today (in the blizzard in case I get stuck somewhere and need something to do in the car).

I am struggling a bit trying to keep my fat fingers in those tiny little frets.

It seems bassier than my Lanikai, which is interesting. Right now I have it tuned a half step higher and I'm really enjoying it.

Boo yeah!

That is all.

Swampy Steve
02-10-2010, 03:45 AM
Please clue me in on the Dolphins. Are they just cool looking & a fun uke or real players? I keep seeing them mentioned , but Im unsure .
Steve

dentuke
02-10-2010, 04:00 AM
They are the best under 75.00 uke and cost half that ........ The novelty of them is how could such a cheezy looking thing sound so great.....They are wonderfull ukes and shuold be in anyones quiver.... I lend them out to friends...... Give them as gifts after my daughters sleep overs......

Sambient
02-10-2010, 04:34 AM
And the newer ones have a plastic body with wood soundboard. They're the poor man's Flea in a huge variety of colors.

uke5417
02-10-2010, 04:47 AM
Played one in a shop the other day ($32). Amazing for the price, just amazing.

luvdat
02-10-2010, 04:49 AM
And the newer ones have a plastic body with wood soundboard. They're the poor man's Flea in a huge variety of colors.

Plastic is one of my favorite tonewoods.

Skitzic
02-10-2010, 05:12 AM
I was unsure if I would like the plastic or not, but I do. It's different. My coworkers are enjoying. The first thing out of their mouth is 'wow, that sure is purple.'

Sambient
02-10-2010, 05:28 AM
Are you kidding? That purple could make me want a second dolphin, and I really have no need for a second dolphin.

Skitzic
02-10-2010, 05:40 AM
Are you kidding? That purple could make me want a second dolphin, and I really have no need for a second dolphin.

Bwaha I love that purple. It's almost lavender.

I was sweating a little when I got the box. There were two huge rips in the cardboard, and when I poked my finger in there I could feel uke...so I took photos of the holes before I opened it just in case there was damage. Uke was perfect though.

The second statment everyone makes is 'that part (pointing to the bridge) looks like a dolphin.'

My coworkers are so smart. :)

Andruke
02-10-2010, 06:29 AM
That's pretty awesome! Sweet color. I'm considering one though I do wish they came in concert and tenor sizes.

PaulGeo
02-10-2010, 07:09 AM
Congratulations... sure sounds like you're enjoying it.

Skitzic
02-10-2010, 07:14 AM
Yeah, most of my coworkers left, so now I'm trying to learn Killing Me Softly...

Josephineylele
02-11-2010, 01:21 PM
Nice :)

I want one! Just deciding on the color... it's a hard choice to make! Also, has anyone had problems with the paint chipping off? I heard someone mention the paint off the Dolphins chip off easily :(

luvdat
02-11-2010, 01:32 PM
Picked up a red burst Dolphin for my wife...one of her Valentine's gifts...

hawaiianmusiclover06
02-11-2010, 01:33 PM
Congratulations! I love the color of the Doplhin... purple. Such an awesome ukulele. Must sound sweet too.

Skitzic
02-11-2010, 02:15 PM
It does sound pretty sweet. The plastic was totally worth it. :)

luvdat
02-11-2010, 02:25 PM
It does sound pretty sweet. The plastic was totally worth it. :)

I wish they would make one some day with the whole body made out of plastic. Not joking. I tell you, even with those GHS strings the top is alive with vibrations all the way up the neck to the headstock.