Cordoba discontinued rope inlay binding?

vermontcathy

Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed that Cordoba seems to have discontinued their rope inlay binding, which I think is so beautiful? Here's what the soprano used to look like:
http://www.ukes.com/images/cordoba-25skbody.jpg

But here's what the online stores seem to have now:
http://folk-instruments.musiciansfriend.com/product/Cordoba-25SK-Soprano-Ukelele?sku=512783

Anyone know when this change was made? I had been considering a Cordoba for a while. I just ordered one from one store where the description said rope inlay binding... we'll see what I get. No stores near me sell Cordobas.

WOW, that's terrible! So if I get one that does have the rope binding, it was made in Portugal? And yet the price is the same as it used to be! Maybe I should by the 2nd (and last) one that I saw online with the rope binding - could become a collector's item.... And I wasn't sure if I wanted a soprano or concert. I already have a Fender tenor and played a Cordoba concert in the summer (got the Fender, my first, in June). I'm still not positive... maybe I should snatch up a concert with the binding if I can find it...

OH, and MGM, I just bought a leather pic from you on eBay (week or so ago). I love it, for when my finger is raw from playing hard. The plastic picks my hubby has sound terrible on the uke.

Musician's Friend and Sam Ashe product descriptions still say made in Portugal (though picture and description no longer say rope binding)...

Man!!!!!! That is terrible.... I liked the mistique of the portugese uke craftmanship...even though qc was sometimes questionable...... I prefer the Lehuas over the Cordobas even though they were made in the same factory....Will Lehuas be made in China also?

It still may be made in portugal and i may be wrong but my eyes hands and ears and construction say China all over it

especially on some of the other non supposed Portugese Koa LOL models.

It still may be made in portugal and i may be wrong but my eyes hands and ears and construction say China all over it

Is this in comparison to earlier Cordobas you've tried, or no? I mean, did you say to yourself, "compared to earlier Cordoba ukes I've tried, this feels like it's made in China" or just "this feels like it's made in China" with no other reference?

I thought that the concert I tried this past summer had a rope inlaid binding also, but I can't find any photos of one with a rope binding (unlike with the soprano). Is it my imagination? If it did, but now the new model doesn't, I may snatch up a concert, until I know whether I want a soprano or concert, but if the concert never had the rope binding, then it's less of a concern (unless they have changed from being made in Portugal to China, though all the websites still say Portugal).

Top Bottom