Tuning for 8 string ukulele

drfrancov

Reaction score
So I bought an 8 stringer!...Just a cheap Lanikai...came with Aquilas gGcCeeaa...I don;t like how it sounds...so i changed the tuning to ggcceeaa and i like a lot!...Anyone has any experience/ideas about this tuning on an 8 string tenor?

So, no octaved pairs? How does it sound different from a standard four string uke, then? I wish I could hear it....

So I bought an 8 stringer!...Just a cheap Lanikai...came with Aquilas gGcCeeaa...I don;t like how it sounds...so i changed the tuning to ggcceeaa and i like a lot!...Anyone has any experience/ideas about this tuning on an 8 string tenor?

drfrancov. Hey...you're doing what your're supposed to do. Play it how you like it. But just a little termonology correction....you are still "tuning" it the same. GCEA. Like mailman had said, you removed the octive strings. I have a Kala 8-string and have it strung with the Octaves. Maybe you should try using a dff brand of strings like Worths.

Hello from Argentina! I have a 8 string Lanikai, and i dont know much about music, so i cant really undestand what you mean by octaves. I have it tuned like this GG CC EE AA, how can i go up or down an octave in G or C? I have a guitar tuner but i cant really know how to do it.
Thanl you for your time!

Hello from Argentina! I have a 8 string Lanikai, and i dont know much about music, so i cant really undestand what you mean by octaves. I have it tuned like this GG CC EE AA, how can i go up or down an octave in G or C? I have a guitar tuner but i cant really know how to do it.
Thanl you for your time!

When it was tuned GgCceeaa the G and C strings were octaves. One was lower than the other. Now u have it strung in pairs.

So, after I posted this I tried the gGcCeeaa for a while...And it is growing on me...I like it!...Very powerful sound!

I'm using a GgCceeaA - sounds really great (my 6 string is gCceaA, so I took a low A from my six-stringer)). The low G is wound, but the low A is nylon. A lot of fun playing mad jazz chords. Just wondering if it would be possible to octave the e string. Any ideas?

I'm using a GgCceeaA - sounds really great (my 6 string is gCceaA, so I took a low A from my six-stringer)). The low G is wound, but the low A is nylon. A lot of fun playing mad jazz chords. Just wondering if it would be possible to octave the e string. Any ideas?

I was curious about this -- I've been wondering why the A strings are typically octaved on a six-string but paired on an eight-string. Do you have any sort of sound sample? I's still waiting for my Pono refurbished six-string, so I don't currently have easy access to a low A string, but I'm curious to hear what octaved A strings sound like on an eight-string ukulele.

I was curious about this -- I've been wondering why the A strings are typically octaved on a six-string but paired on an eight-string. Do you have any sort of sound sample? I's still waiting for my Pono refurbished six-string, so I don't currently have easy access to a low A string, but I'm curious to hear what octaved A strings sound like on an eight-string ukulele.

sorry I don't have a sound sample (yet) I guess a low G string would work as a low A...

You could try a high E string from a charrango set (which has 3 high E strings).

- FiL

so is an 8 string traditionally tuned like my Kamaka came, gGcCeeaa, or GgCceeaa, and does it matter other than the nut slots being different? seems like folks are doing it both ways here.

I don't think it really matters (unless you start fingerpicking maybe) - important bit is the G and C are octaved whereas E and A are unison.
A quick search around the web brings up more mentions of gGcC than GgCc. Might be a reference to re-entrant tuning (high note comes first).

Last edited:
Top Bottom