PDA

View Full Version : Tuning for 8 string ukulele

drfrancov
02-10-2010, 10:27 AM
So I bought an 8 stringer!...Just a cheap Lanikai...came with Aquilas gGcCeeaa...I don;t like how it sounds...so i changed the tuning to ggcceeaa and i like a lot!...Anyone has any experience/ideas about this tuning on an 8 string tenor?

mailman
02-10-2010, 02:34 PM
So, no octaved pairs? How does it sound different from a standard four string uke, then? I wish I could hear it....

Dino
02-10-2010, 03:11 PM
So I bought an 8 stringer!...Just a cheap Lanikai...came with Aquilas gGcCeeaa...I don;t like how it sounds...so i changed the tuning to ggcceeaa and i like a lot!...Anyone has any experience/ideas about this tuning on an 8 string tenor?

drfrancov. Hey...you're doing what your're supposed to do. Play it how you like it. But just a little termonology correction....you are still "tuning" it the same. GCEA. Like mailman had said, you removed the octive strings. I have a Kala 8-string and have it strung with the Octaves. Maybe you should try using a dff brand of strings like Worths.

DrFacs
03-22-2010, 02:47 AM
Hello from Argentina! I have a 8 string Lanikai, and i dont know much about music, so i cant really undestand what you mean by octaves. I have it tuned like this GG CC EE AA, how can i go up or down an octave in G or C? I have a guitar tuner but i cant really know how to do it.
Thanl you for your time!

haolejohn
03-22-2010, 03:10 AM
Hello from Argentina! I have a 8 string Lanikai, and i dont know much about music, so i cant really undestand what you mean by octaves. I have it tuned like this GG CC EE AA, how can i go up or down an octave in G or C? I have a guitar tuner but i cant really know how to do it.
Thanl you for your time!

When it was tuned GgCceeaa the G and C strings were octaves. One was lower than the other. Now u have it strung in pairs.

Paul December
03-22-2010, 03:50 AM
Really? ... I absolutely love the sound of gGcCeeaa

drfrancov
03-22-2010, 03:53 AM
So, after I posted this I tried the gGcCeeaa for a while...And it is growing on me...I like it!...Very powerful sound!

januke
07-09-2012, 11:41 AM
I'm using a GgCceeaA - sounds really great (my 6 string is gCceaA, so I took a low A from my six-stringer)). The low G is wound, but the low A is nylon. A lot of fun playing mad jazz chords. Just wondering if it would be possible to octave the e string. Any ideas?

mds725
07-09-2012, 11:47 AM
I'm using a GgCceeaA - sounds really great (my 6 string is gCceaA, so I took a low A from my six-stringer)). The low G is wound, but the low A is nylon. A lot of fun playing mad jazz chords. Just wondering if it would be possible to octave the e string. Any ideas?

I was curious about this -- I've been wondering why the A strings are typically octaved on a six-string but paired on an eight-string. Do you have any sort of sound sample? I's still waiting for my Pono refurbished six-string, so I don't currently have easy access to a low A string, but I'm curious to hear what octaved A strings sound like on an eight-string ukulele.

januke
07-10-2012, 09:19 AM
I was curious about this -- I've been wondering why the A strings are typically octaved on a six-string but paired on an eight-string. Do you have any sort of sound sample? I's still waiting for my Pono refurbished six-string, so I don't currently have easy access to a low A string, but I'm curious to hear what octaved A strings sound like on an eight-string ukulele.

sorry I don't have a sound sample (yet) I guess a low G string would work as a low A...

FiL
07-13-2012, 08:29 AM

You could try a high E string from a charrango set (which has 3 high E strings).

- FiL

strumsilly
08-04-2012, 02:56 AM
so is an 8 string traditionally tuned like my Kamaka came, gGcCeeaa, or GgCceeaa, and does it matter other than the nut slots being different? seems like folks are doing it both ways here.

Louis0815
08-04-2012, 04:54 AM
I don't think it really matters (unless you start fingerpicking maybe) - important bit is the G and C are octaved whereas E and A are unison.
A quick search around the web brings up more mentions of gGcC than GgCc. Might be a reference to re-entrant tuning (high note comes first).

strumsilly
08-04-2012, 06:01 AM
that's how the new Kamakas seem to come

UncleElvis
08-04-2012, 03:12 PM
that's how the new Kamakas seem to come

I wouldn't know... why don't you send me yours and I'll verify? *grin*

strumsilly
08-05-2012, 02:51 AM
I wouldn't know... why don't you send me yours and I'll verify? *grin*
mines not new, but has been played in. koa neck fretboard, and bridge
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb376/avm1/kamakasunset.jpg