On flashy instruments

ukulelearp

Reaction score
The first "real" ukulele I bought (after my $40 Hilo) was a laminated Koa tenor. It has a gloss finish, chrome tuners,and abalone binding and soundhole rosette. At the time I preferred the glossy, flashier look. I think after I kept playing my taste shifted toward much more simple instruments. I just bought a Koa Pili Koko tenor that has almost zero aesthetic add-ons. No binding, no rosette, nothing. That same theme carried with my guitars, since I just bought a satin finish acoustic with no binding. I seem to now lean toward simpler, more understated designs. That's why I can never warm up to the Koalohas, though I'm sure they sound amazing.

So, what do you prefer? Flashy or plain?

I am in the same boat however I absolutely love Koaloha and can't wait to get one on my next trip to Hawaii. When I shop for a uke I'm more interested in contruction, types of woods used, and beautiful wood grains. All the other "bling" doesn't really matter to me. I like the "less is best" approach.

I have and like both. Depending on the crowd I'm playing for I use both. I've played at a local area winery and had my most flash Ukulele and I believe I got more tips that way.
I just like playing so what ever is closest is the one I use.

The first "real" ukulele I bought (after my $40 Hilo) was a laminated Koa tenor. It has a gloss finish, chrome tuners,and abalone binding and soundhole rosette. At the time I preferred the glossy, flashier look. I think after I kept playing my taste shifted toward much more simple instruments. I just bought a Koa Pili Koko tenor that has almost zero aesthetic add-ons. No binding, no rosette, nothing. That same theme carried with my guitars, since I just bought a satin finish acoustic with no binding. I seem to now lean toward simpler, more understated designs. That's why I can never warm up to the Koalohas, though I'm sure they sound amazing.

Perhaps you should check out the Pikake KoAlohas. Satin finish, straight cut fretboard, no bindings, rosettes, or purflings. Just that magnificent KoAloha sound.

Attachments

• Koaloha Christmas 018.jpg
    Koaloha Christmas 018.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 31
  • Koaloha Christmas 012.jpg
    Koaloha Christmas 012.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 45
  • Koaloha Christmas 010.jpg
    Koaloha Christmas 010.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 43
  • Koaloha Christmas 015.jpg
    Koaloha Christmas 015.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 34
Perhaps you should check out the Pikake KoAlohas. Satin finish, straight cut fretboard, no bindings, rosettes, or purflings. Just that magnificent KoAloha sound.

That's a beautiful stand for that KoAloha. Make it yourself?

As for the original question, I tend towards the more conservative.

I'm all for blinging responsibly. A few inlays here and there are nice, and some pretty wood is a plus. But there needs to be a balance. Abalone purfling looks great on plain-looking wood, but it's way too busy-looking on especially curly koa.

I don't find KoAlohas flashy in general. The Sceptre and Juke, maybe. But the pointy headstocks and bridges don't bother me.

That's a beautiful stand for that KoAloha. Make it yourself?

As for the original question, I tend towards the more conservative.

Thanks Paul. I did make it. I had a couple of threads about my stands back in December. Uke stands part one and uke and music stands part2. I don't know how to attatch the threads here, Maybe the mods can help me out.

I should add that for whatever reason I prefer straighter-grain Koa. But one blinged-out feature I LOVE is vine inlay on the fretboard.

Thanks Paul. I did make it. I had a couple of threads about my stands back in December. Uke stands part one and uke and music stands part2. I don't know how to attatch the threads here, Maybe the mods can help me out.

I'm not a mod but I found it...http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?22856-Uke-and-music-stands

The only way I search the forums now is to go to google and enter in the search box site:ukuleleunderground.com/forum and then the search terms I want, in this case it was site:ukuleleunderground.com/forum dkcrown stand

Those stands do look great. :)

As to the OP's original question, I guess I like both equally. I certainly have some "blingy" ukes like my PS and Kanile'a K2, but I actually deep down probably still think my satin finish Kamaka looks the most traditional. Oh heck, I'm just indecisive on everything!

Last edited:
I like both worlds. It depends on the song I'm playing. Some songs call for a simple uke, some call for the purple dolphin. It all depends.

I'm all for utilitarian ukes - plain Janes as it were - but there is something to be said for ornamental showmanship, too. If I could afford it, I would love to have one of Chuck Moore's most heavily inlaid, bookended koa masterpieces, just for the pure drool factor, if not the wonderful sound and playability.

I'm not a mod but I found it...http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?22856-Uke-and-music-stands

The only way I search the forums now is to go to google and enter in the search box site:ukuleleunderground.com/forum and then the search terms I want, in this case it was site:ukuleleunderground.com/forum dkcrown stand

Those stands do look great. :)

As to the OP's original question, I guess I like both equally. I certainly have some "blingy" ukes like my PS and Kanile'a K2, but I actually deep down probably still think my satin finish Kamaka looks the most traditional. Oh heck, I'm just indecisive on everything!

No offense Staci but your Kamaka is the bling, blingiest of your heard! Get a brush for those curls!

No offense Staci but your Kamaka is the bling, blingiest of your heard! Get a brush for those curls!

LOL! It is definitely curly, but I guess I think of the PS as more bling due to its unusual shape, and the Kanile'a as more bling because it has the binding, gloss and gold tuners. But yes, the Kamaka does have a bit of curl to her. ;)

I like both worlds. It depends on the song I'm playing. Some songs call for a simple uke, some call for the purple dolphin. It all depends.

Right on! It could almost be a threat: "don't make me get the purple dophin!".

alec534 said:

Well, sound is most important to me. If it looks good but sounds bad, it still sounds bad. If it looks bad and sounds good, it still sounds good. That said, there are some big-time-bling 'ukuleles that sound great (Chuck's come to mind). Personally I'd rather have people sit and listen to my music than say "wow check out his uke!". So I guess I'd take plain, but it would be sick to have my name inlayed somewhere.

LOL! It is definitely curly, but I guess I think of the PS as more bling due to its unusual shape, and the Kanile'a as more bling because it has the binding, gloss and gold tuners. But yes, the Kamaka does have a bit of curl to her. ;)

I'd say the Kanile'a is the least flashy of your instruments. But they're all great looking!

Personally, I tend to go for at least a binding, whether it's fancy or plain. My guitar has a simple black binding and a few circles around the soundhole, while my ukulele has off-white binding and abalone purfling/rosette. Other than that, anything is fine with me as long as it's not -too- flashy. But like others have said, sound matters more.

The most bling I have and can tolerate is my Mainland with rope binding, pretty and practical. My custom S&J Milo wood could have had any bling I wanted but I wantede and got a player. I let the wood itself and it's sound do the talking.

Well, here I am to introduce a third concept: familiarity. I like the comfort of a familiar instrument, whether it blinks or is invisible. Having said that, it takes time for any instrument for become familiar, and so it is not a buying point.

Top Bottom