Typical Practice Routine?

mindg4m3

UU+
Reaction score
I have tried searching the forums but have not really found what i was looking for in terms of how to practice. Currently I slide though a series of chords because I am terrible at moving from one chord to the next. I then pluck a song, then proceed to strum it, then practice playing it for a while.

I have heard people mention practicing scales, but I don't quite understand what this means. I get the scale part, but why / which / how?

So! What is a typical practice session for you? Or if you have had a private lesson what did the instructor recommend you do to practice?

Okay. Keep in mind that 1. there is no right way and 2. there are a million things to practice. So don't worry about it too much - jus' play! Running through chords is great so keep doing that. Scales are good to know for theory purposes (making chords), soloing, and knowing where to look for melodies. I would start with major and minor scales.

Major: http://liveukulele.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/major-scales.pdf
Minor: http://liveukulele.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/minor-scales.pdf

The good thing is that minor scales are just a major scale started from the 6th note. So a C scale started at the 6th note (A) is an A minor scale. So you only need to learn half. Don't worry about the hard scales like C# or F#. Just do C, F, G, A, D, Bb to get going. Add the rest as you memorize those. If you want to use a scale for exercise purposes try the C scale box here: http://liveukulele.com/lessons/warmups/

A typical practice session for me is never typical. I don't ever sit down and think "ok, now is my practice time". Instead I just have my case unzipped all day and whenever I get an itch to try something I'll grab my 'ukulele (I'm homeschooled, so math can be done later if I get an urge). So instead of a session I have many little ideas!

What you might think about practicing: scales, chords, reading music, picking out simple songs by ear (I know this great one that goes "twinkle, twinkle..."!), [many more things], and finally fiddling! If I can recommend one thing to practice it's just noodling around trying things. There is no wrong way to play music. Fiddle, fiddle, fiddle.

OK, practice everything. How about common exercises / skill builders?

I have seen a few in Uke Minutes which seem to be great, any other ideas?

I don't think this is a routine, per se, but more tips on how to practice not what to practice. Does that make sense? Eh, just got off from work . . . oops, Sorry 'bout dat.

Last edited:
My practice schedule is as follows......
1) Play a little, drink a little
2) Play some more, drink some more
3) Continue playing, continue drinking
4) Realize playing is getting better, time to celebrate....drink up!!

Hi, you mentioned having difficulty changing from chord to chord.

Here's a link:

http://www.4shared.com/file/123858410/4f4615dc/Free_Songbook_Master.html

I recommend that you select a song you really like/want to learn to play well.

Create a 'Practice sheet' which will only have chord names in the order they appear
in the song. Write them out as they are phrased line by line.

Draw 'cheater' diagrams for unfamiliar chords, but only at their first occurance.

Now practice strumming each chord 4 times and focus on changing from chord to chord
seamlessly - that is, without having to stop/interrupt your strumming or looking at your
chord-forming fingers. Start out at a slow pace/tempo.

As you get more comfortable changing chords, reduce the number of strums between
each chord, to 3, then 2, then even to 1 strum per chord.

NOTE: you will NOT be playing the song, ie the melody, since you will be strumming the same
number of times between each chord change. But you will be learning to make the chord
changes more and more smoothly and in time with the pace you set.

Finally, go back to the original song sheet and lo and behold, you can now play the song
because you will be familiar with the chords and be comfortable with the chord changes,
so you will be able to focus on the lyrics and the melody.

If you need to, work slowly through the more difficult chord changes. Once you got it,
you got it.

My practice sessions are simply playing through songs I want to memorize or learn. I go over
and over and over the song vocally and ukulele-ly until I'm comfortable. NOTE: this may
take a few days, weeks, even months. But hey, it's something I want to learn and have in
my bag of songs.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Hey.....Hippie guy, Thank you for those scales. I had been looking for something like that for a while.

[...] I have heard people mention practicing scales, but I don't quite understand what this means. I get the scale part, but why / which / how? [...]
Well, playing up and down scales for the sake of it, without knowing why you're doing it, is not going to help a great deal, so you're wise to ask.

Here's an extremely simplified attempt to explain a bit of the why / which / how thing about scales:

In western music we have what is called a chromatic scale that contains all the notes we use in music. All of them.

Chromatic scale = c c# d d# e f f# g g# a a# b c'. It contains twelve semitone steps. Each note in the chromatic scale is a semitone (1 fret) higher than the last.

For various reasons, certain combinations and patterns of notes are pleasing to the western ear. One of these patterns is the Major Scale - the do re mi fa so la ti do "tune" that most will be familiar with is a major scale.

Now, most singers have a certain range within which their voices will reach. Some instruments are made to favour a certain key (Irish tin whistle, for example). In order to suit a singer or a choice of instrument a tune will often be arranged in a specific key. Common keys are G major and C major - they are convenient to play on guitar and 'ukulele. The are also quite far apart in pitch, so it is likely that a versatile singer will be able to manage a song in one or the other of those keys.

In Irish traditional music the keys of D major and G major are very common - largely because they suit the instruments used in that genre.

In bluegrass music the keys of G major and A Major are most common. They suit banjo, mandolin and fiddle well.

Depending upon the genre of music you play, and the instruments commonly used for it, or upon the pitch/range of your (or your singer's) voice, you are likely to find yourself playing in some keys more than others.

In each key, a certain selection of notes from the chromatic scale is used, and that selection is different for every key. By knowing the scale for that key you will be able to find the notes that are in the key, and miss out the notes that aren't. If you are playing a song in C major, you will mostly avoid sharp or flat notes, as there are none in that key. If you play some by accident, then they may sound out of place or out of tune.

If you know how the scale for that C major key fits onto the fretboard then you have a kind of map to the right notes. If you try to improvise a solo the scale gives you a framework to guide you. Similarly, if you play by ear, but are not 100% sure which fret will give the next note you want, knowledge of the scale will often remove uncertainty. "That fret there isn't used in the scale for this key, so the fret I want must be that next one!"

Scales in isolation are of limited use. You need to learn how they fit into the music.

The best way to learn scales is to learn the patterns they make, rather than the notes. That way you can move the patterns around and get the scales for different keys.

Once you know the patterns, you will start to recognise how melodies fit into those patterns. As you play a tune, see how the notes you fret correspond to the scale patterns you have learned. Gradually an association builds up. A partnership between ears, fingers and eyes.

As you get more experienced, you start to learn how scales work with chords, and you begin to recognise and understand the way that specific notes in a scale or chord contribute to certain flavours and effects in the music.

Scales are an important part of the jigsaw, but just a part.

Scales I would recommend learning first (without knowing about your musical genre or voice) would probably be the C and G major scales, the C and G major pentatonic scales and the Am and Em pentatonic scales. You have to start somewhere, and I find those get a lot of use.

It's a very basic explanation, oversimplified, clumsy and incomplete, but I hope it makes some kind of sense.

i have a pretty simple answer to how and when to practice:
i practice overall for about three hours a day...
however, at NO TIME do i EVER sit down and tell myself to "practice".
I (and pretty much everyone on this site, and hopefully you too) LOVE to play ukulele.
because of that, through the corse of my day i end up picking up the ukulele and just playing it, for fun.
what i do is i work on everything i can't manage... if i have troble switching between chords, i'll try to master switching to them by playing songs that include them.
if i'm having trouble picking, i'll try to play that picking over and over.
if i'm having trouble with a strum, I just keep trying with it or something similar till i actually feel it.
despite what all these wise and better ukers then i am telling you, my advice is to just go nuts.
have fun with it, enjoy what you do, and practice what you wanna practice. If something is difficult, don't just drop it, but maybe take a break and come back to it in a few minutes. In the end, you will find that you are playing better, practicing more often, and enjoying ukulele more if you just go for it, and do what makes you happy and is fun.
in having fun, you'll touch on everything you NEED to... but you'll also do so much MORE then that.
good luck in learning one of the most fun instruments out there!

I started playing on January 1st, 2010. I had no experience prior to that. What I did was gather up much of what is available on this wonderful internet .. like at Dr. Uke,, this forum and web site, Ukulele Hunt, and lots more.. and I made a practice book.. I practice at least 1/2 hour a day.. but I get so into it the 1/2 hour usually extends far beyond that.. weekends I find time for 2-3 hours .. anyway I practice the basics first .. learning/reviewing the chord charts till I can play all of the chords easily.. practicing difficult changes slowly then with more speed (like anything to a B ;0), natural chord progressions (like A to A7 to D to E7) and fingering up the scale with alternating fingers and moving from 4 to 1 strings on the same fret with index, then middle, then ring, etc..different strum patterns.. then I play a song or 2 that I feel comfortable with, then work on a song that is new and more of a challenge.. I am also learning movable chords and theory like circle of 5s. I feel it is important to know the theory of music and find it interesting.. but I will say some of it is hard for me to get my head around.. some of the clouds are lifting though.. so there you have this beginners routine.. and you know what? My wife doesn't leave the room anymore and can actually recognize the song I am playing.. and it's all just so much fun!! I hope your grin is a big as mine!

What you practice is dependent on what you want to achieve.
Practice can be more than playing a few songs.
You can work on you music theory skills anytime, you need not have a uke.
I like to break a practice session into segments. There is a law of diminishing returns when practicing.
Spend 10 to 15 minutes on any one item, I believe you will discover anything longer you will not be making any progress.
Repitition in small doses is much more effective. If I am practicing for 30 minutes, I will work on one of new songs/skills for 15 minutes and then sit and play for fun for the remainder.
During a longer session I might do something new for 15 minutes, play songs I know for a while and then either go back to what I did first or move on to something else I am trying to add.
For me to really learn a song, I need to play it probably close to 150 times. When I play with friends or a gig I do not use music, I play from memory.

For me to really learn a song, I need to play it probably close to 150 times. When I play with friends or a gig I do not use music, I play from memory.

while it is nice and good to not need to be reading your music, don't think that its absolutely necessary to do it this way.
i play gigs a couple of times a week, and i always bring my music.
you still ned to know the song and the switches, but it will cut down on pure amount of time you need to spend on a song. once you've played it perfectly three or four times you have the ability to move on.

NOTE: this is not a criticism on sailinguke or his methods. its simply pointing out for the original poster that its not absolutely NECESSARY to do it that way.
no negativity is trying to be expressed here!
:D

I have 6 distinct types of practice:

1) Practice what I know
This is simple. I run through set lists of songs as if I were performing them. Usually 3-4 songs at a time. I do this to memorize and polish things I already know how to play.

2) Learn a new song
This is also simple - I just run the progression and sing along - then add any fills or intro etc I want. This often eventually leads to me putting the song in rotation up in #1. You can learn some amazing things by taking practice one song at a time.

3) Learn/Try a new technique
This could be a style, and particular progression, or a scale. For example – Say I want to brush up on delta blues… Ill find a few patterns that work, lay down a rhythm track and then practice scales over it. Lately I’ve been focused on flamenco and minor blues… so I don’t do anything as specific as a song – but I’ll practice and improvise specific techniques and scales that fit. I use video, audio, and or a loop station to help me see and hear what I’m doing and compare it to where I want it to be.

4) Song writing
For me, this is where it all comes together. I take bits from #3 and put them together with lyrics I’ve also been working with. Then I add, subtract, change and generally monkey about with it until I like it. Again, I use video and/or audio to capture what I’m working on so I can put it down and pick it back up later (a very important step). Once I’m done with the song I either record it and promptly forget it (most often), or it goes into #1 above.

5) Jamming alone and jamming with others
This is huge. I learn FAR more by this process than any other. I play with others at least once a week – if not more. This is absolutely invaluable for performance and for understanding how the parts of music work together. I also noodle and jam alone for hours every day. This is where I find the components for #3 and #4… without it everything just stays the same. I am always doing this in one form or another. I even play while watching TV and try to jam along with the music. It makes my wife crazy, but it’s all practice.

6) Listening to great music WITH interest
You can’t play well if you can’t listen well – and you sure can’t write well if you don’t know what good writing is to you. So every single chance I get, I have music on – new music to me preferably. Things I’ve never heard, or things that I haven’t figured out yet. What style is it? What key is it in? What rhythm do they use? What time signature? What is that sound, that instrument? Why did that bit make me cry like a nine year old girl? How do they do that?

That’s what works for me. I’m still not a great player – but I’m miles beyond where I used to be before I figured these out, and I get better in a very perceivable way.

Last edited:
This thread is full of win! Thanks everyone for the great posts.

I have been following many of the suggestions since the thread started, and I believe I am improving steadily. What has been working for me as a noob is the suggestion to make cards of the chords in the song and try transitioning through them. I will play the same chord 4 times, and switch to the next, to the next. It is awesome to read how everyone practices because it gives me ideas for when I feel stuck.

What do you guys do for finger picking practice?

on that one there is no substitute for just doing them OVER AND OVER...
sorry to say it, but its true

What works for me

I have to agree with Uncle Rod. I find a song at " Musicteacher2009", that's Mike Lynch. You get the melody, the words, the strum technique and the chords. I then enter the words and chords on a MSFT Word. Then I practice the chord progression one strum per chord until I have it down pat. Then I hum the melody and strum along. When I have that all down, then I work on the words. This works for me. I learned on the song "Mr. Bojangles". My big problem is I have a terrible voice so most of my singing is in the shower where the acoustics helps a lot. Just don't turn the water on unless you have a plastic Uke.

" Don't Squat With Your Spurs On" --Bender

Okay. Keep in mind that 1. there is no right way and 2. there are a million things to practice. So don't worry about it too much - jus' play! Running through chords is great so keep doing that. Scales are good to know for theory purposes (making chords), soloing, and knowing where to look for melodies. I would start with major and minor scales.

Major: http://liveukulele.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/major-scales.pdf
Minor: http://liveukulele.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/minor-scales.pdf

The good thing is that minor scales are just a major scale started from the 6th note. So a C scale started at the 6th note (A) is an A minor scale. So you only need to learn half. Don't worry about the hard scales like C# or F#. Just do C, F, G, A, D, Bb to get going. Add the rest as you memorize those. If you want to use a scale for exercise purposes try the C scale box here: http://liveukulele.com/lessons/warmups/

A typical practice session for me is never typical. I don't ever sit down and think "ok, now is my practice time". Instead I just have my case unzipped all day and whenever I get an itch to try something I'll grab my 'ukulele (I'm homeschooled, so math can be done later if I get an urge). So instead of a session I have many little ideas!

What you might think about practicing: scales, chords, reading music, picking out simple songs by ear (I know this great one that goes "twinkle, twinkle..."!), [many more things], and finally fiddling! If I can recommend one thing to practice it's just noodling around trying things. There is no wrong way to play music. Fiddle, fiddle, fiddle.

Pardon my ignorance but are these scale charts for standard tuning with a high G or Low G? They don't sound right to me when I play them,but I'm not so good so it might just be me.
Thanks,
Ross

Low G. I wrote them out so that the scales go from low to high - with a low G for everything on that 4th string. Because the C string is the lowest on a high G strung 'ukulele it didn't make sense to me to use tab for that when I hit the G scale. So if you do have a high G string, just use the second scale so that it fits from low to high.

The only thing I would add which I can't remember reading is:

Spend some time just working on your right hand technique. Some very cool ukulele sounds come from doing very simple things with your left hand, while your right hand goes mental. For now, just try strumming with your index finger, your whole hand and your thumb. Then try some arpeggio patterns - that just means keep on a chord and pick the strings one at a time. You can get a lot of different sounds out of one single chord progression.

Keep it up! Sounds like you're doing really well. And keep having fun. When it's not fun, music dies.

Top Bottom