Build a uke...

Projectbronco

Reaction score
Kind of a cool idea, but for the price it seems you could buy a relatively nice used one. Or you could factor in how much your time is worth and decide whether you want to spend $40-50 for a Melokia or a KPK which are also solid.
I do like the idea of building your own though. I just can't get past the practicality of it right now...maybe someone else can. ;)

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Kits/Ukulele_Kits/Tenor_Ukulele_Kit.html?tab=Pictures#details

You could buy a fairly nice uke for what the kits cost, especially if you put any value on your time. That said, there are some things you get with a self-built uke you don't get with one bought off the shelf. While showing one I built (from scratch not a kit) to a friend of mine he commented on how cool it must be to make music on something you built yourself. It's sort of like cooking with vegetables you grow in your own garden. Also, you can make EXACTLY what you want, not buy something that is just really close. If I want a 1.4" nut width instead of a 1.375" I can make one. If I want the scale length to be 15.625" instead of 15" that's what I make. Paying a professional luthier to make exactly what I want would cost a BUNDLE.

you can add as much "bling" as you want for very little cost. When I was in my banjo building phase, I made one with a mother-of-pearl vine going all the way up the neck - that would have been hundreds of dollars to have done otherwise.

Their banjo and mandolin kits do save you considerable bucks, actually the guitar kits, too. I guess that proves ukes are a great value.

Wow, really good points! I especially like the cigar box uke idea. Though for my first uke, I will buy a manufactured one. (Hopefully this weekend).
This forum is definitely a wealth of knowledge.

Sopranos from grizzly are cheap and just as good as any $50-100 soprano I've played. Very easy to glue up compared to stewmac's.

Sopranos from grizzly are cheap and just as good as any $50-100 soprano I've played. Very easy to glue up compared to stewmac's.

Is that a solid wood uke too?
Nevermind, solid would be too good to be true.

I would very much like to do a kit like this. If Grizzly's uke is solid, I think that would be the way to go. I think building your own uke gives enough experience to be able to repair your other ukes if need be.

Last edited:
Nevermind... I listened to some sound samples and for the amount of work put into it, they don't sound amazing. I think I'm better off saving money for an Ohana or Mainland.

Top Bottom