PDA

View Full Version : Canada's ukulele junky!

guitarjunky
02-11-2010, 03:27 AM
To all Canadian members, just want to let you know that we are THE place to get a uke in Canada.

We are a Kala, Pono, Ko'olau, KoAloha, Eleuke, and soon Anuenue and Fluke and Flea ukulele dealers with always at least 50 ukes in stock.

We ship everywhere and our prices are competitive.

Check us out at www.guitarjunky.ca

Aloha!

guitarjunky
02-21-2010, 01:55 PM
Can it get sexier then this?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4070/4348216539_ba9e2e020c_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4048/4348217693_0a7131f49f.jpg

Sambient
02-22-2010, 02:13 AM
That's a pretty good looking ukulele!
Can I make a suggestion? Since you're here on Ukulele Underground to sell your wares, it would be very cool if you would support this fantastic site as one of the advertisers on the homepage. I say this only as a fan of this forum, not a representative at all. I just personally get a bad taste in my mouth when someone is here only to try to sell, not as a participating member of the community.
There are posters here who are merchants as well. They're also very helpful in the forum, regular contributors to the dialogues. "One of us".
I invite you to really jump in with both feet.

Just my opinion/two cents. With a gut instinct that I'm not alone in thinking like ths.

sukie
02-22-2010, 04:38 AM
Just my opinion/two cents. With a gut instinct that I'm not alone in thinking like ths.

Nope. You're not alone. there are a few others in the same position.

Guitar junkie -- looking forward to reading your wisdom.

grammy
02-22-2010, 09:46 AM
run a comp and give one away, best way to introduce yourself and to drum p positivity.

itsme
02-23-2010, 10:17 AM
I just personally get a bad taste in my mouth when someone is here only to try to sell, not as a participating member of the community.
Same here.

My understanding was that the Marketplace was for individual members to sell individual instruments, not for dealers to advertise. And per the sticky about How to Sell here, you must include a price.

guitarjunky
02-23-2010, 10:58 AM
I absolutely agree with all of you!

Thanks for pointing the light to me :D

Who should I contact to sponsor the site?

itsme
02-23-2010, 12:39 PM
Who should I contact to sponsor the site?
You could at least have gone to the main UU site where you'd see they have a link to Advertise With Us (http://ukuleleunderground.com/advertise/) at the bottom of every page. :rolleyes:

Melissa82
02-23-2010, 12:42 PM
If I was still in Canada I'd be all over this, lol

guitarjunky
02-23-2010, 12:54 PM
Sorry for this... I am trying hard to promote ukulele in Canada, which is not easy...

But I will for sure try to show that I am not only doing it for the buck...

guitarjunky
02-23-2010, 12:54 PM
You could at least have gone to the main UU site where you'd see they have a link to Advertise With Us (http://ukuleleunderground.com/advertise/) at the bottom of every page. :rolleyes:

Thanks! I willdo that.

guitarjunky
02-23-2010, 01:17 PM
Oh and yes I will run a competition... The first Canadian Uke Grand Prix! I am going out of town for a few days, but will annonce it within the next two weeks and will try to make it interesting...

Nichod
02-23-2010, 03:57 PM
No need to be so harsh on them! As long as they don't spam the forum, I'm personally fine with seeing an occasional update on sales and the like. But might be nice to have a separate business marketplace. Would be useful I think.

grubblybubbly
02-23-2010, 04:30 PM
No need to be so harsh on them! As long as they don't spam the forum, I'm personally fine with seeing an occasional update on sales and the like. But might be nice to have a separate business marketplace. Would be useful I think.

i agree. it's hard to find ukes in canada from canada.

Sambient
02-23-2010, 04:48 PM
Understand please I was suggesting this vendor be more involved with Ukulele Underground.
I'm delighted to see this guidance being taken to heart and look forward to our new friend being part of our community.

guitarjunky
02-23-2010, 05:42 PM
Understand please I was suggesting this vendor be more involved with Ukulele Underground.
I'm delighted to see this guidance being taken to heart and look forward to our new friend being part of our community.

tahnks for the vote of confidence... I appreciate it.

I will try to be a true part of the community.

And if anyone has some suggestions to help me create an exciting comp (the Canada Uke Grand Prix!) I am all ears.

cheers

dkcrown
02-24-2010, 01:23 AM
tahnks for the vote of confidence... I appreciate it.

I will try to be a true part of the community.

And if anyone has some suggestions to help me create an exciting comp (the Canada Uke Grand Prix!) I am all ears.

cheers

Glad to see your desire to be part of the community, AND to promote the uke in Canada. It is a fantastic place, welcome.

In regards to the contest, how about something trivia related to the Olympics? Overall, you guys have done a great job hosting them. Or how about the best or most original rendition of Oh Canada? IMO one of the gteatest national anthems in the world.

guitarjunky
02-24-2010, 01:31 AM
Glad to see your desire to be part of the community, AND to promote the uke in Canada. It is a fantastic place, welcome.

In regards to the contest, how about something trivia related to the Olympics? Overall, you guys have done a great job hosting them. Or how about the best or most original rendition of Oh Canada? IMO one of the gteatest national anthems in the world.

Thanks for the suggestions! I want this to survive the Olympic Games so, maybe a comp for the best Instrumental or the best song? This would be a yearly Grand Prix... The Uke Canadian Open or the Uke Canadian Grand Prix (we are a formula 1 city!)

guitarjunky
02-24-2010, 03:14 AM
Another question... Would it be usefull for me to post simple video sound bits of the ukuleles I have to help the community hear different ukes? Kind of a video library for the forum?

ambrose
02-24-2010, 05:18 AM
Another question... Would it be usefull for me to post simple video sound bits of the ukuleles I have to help the community hear different ukes? Kind of a video library for the forum?
MGM and others do this but it has come up on this and other forums that most streaming video comparisons are only useful to a point. Often the audio is not great, and even if it was, streaming audio sucks. If one is going to the trouble to record instruments for comparison purposes they should record full resolution audio with high quality mics, transparent preamps and converters and the same recording environment and player. This can be done at the same time as video. Archive and other sites host audio for free if it's creative commons license, plus the clip would only have to be 20 seconds or so. Even at 24bit 48k the files would be manageable in size.

Of course one doesn't have any control over what playback setup people are using but this is the next best thing to actually trying out an instrument. A video shows you what it looks like and no more.

guitarjunky
05-11-2010, 01:57 PM
Just want to let you all know that we have several new Koaloha ukes coming shortly and also that we are now a very proud BIG ISLAND ukulele dealer and that we have some of there beauties on the way!

We are also trying to be more involved in the uke community by sponsoring some local uke events and will be soon starting a new exciting context on UU! If you have ideas for an exciting contest, let me know!

All the best from MOntreal

ichadwick
05-12-2010, 03:20 AM
There aren't a lot of uke sellers in Canada, true. At least of quality ukes (it's easy to get Mahalo and similar brands). So we do appreciate your effort to bring them in.

guitarjunky
05-12-2010, 09:09 AM
There aren't a lot of uke sellers in Canada, true. At least of quality ukes (it's easy to get Mahalo and similar brands). So we do appreciate your effort to bring them in.

Thanks vor the vote of confidence. Right now we try to keep at least 100 different ukes in stock (and growing), but not one toy!

ichadwick
05-18-2010, 07:25 AM
Drooled over your selection and hemmed and hawed, but finally ordered the U-bass. Was a bit iffy whether I'd really get as much out of it as I would a regular uke. But time will tell...

the52blues
05-18-2010, 11:42 AM
If you have ideas for an exciting contest, let me know!

Well certainly the songs should either be by a Canadian artist (Gordon Lightfoot, Bruce Cockburn, Triumph etc.) ORRRRR written by yourself as a Canadian about this wonderful country....that up to now was totally devoid of good ukuleles!!!

ichadwick
05-18-2010, 12:41 PM
...a Canadian artist (Gordon Lightfoot, Bruce Cockburn, Triumph etc.)...
Triumph? In the same sentence as Bruce Cockburn? Sheesh.
What about Leonard Cohen? Joni Mitchell? Neil Young? Ian Tyson?

guitarjunky
05-18-2010, 01:44 PM
Drooled over your selection and hemmed and hawed, but finally ordered the U-bass. Was a bit iffy whether I'd really get as much out of it as I would a regular uke. But time will tell...

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

adam2180
05-19-2010, 03:00 PM
I bought a Koaloha Soprano from guitarjunky with out any problems, I received excellent service!

guitarjunky
05-25-2010, 04:23 PM
I bought a Koaloha Soprano from guitarjunky with out any problems, I received excellent service!

thanks for the good words!

Just received a few new KoAloha... What amazing ukes they are!

the52blues
05-25-2010, 04:30 PM

Did you just sheesh me? Hmmmmm. I grew up with Triumph....and April Wine...FYI I played trumpet for Lighthouse in 71. (I filled in for Paul Adamson while he was sick)

Chris Tarman
05-25-2010, 05:21 PM
Did you just sheesh me? Hmmmmm. I grew up with Triumph....and April Wine...FYI I played trumpet for Lighthouse in 71. (I filled in for Paul Adamson while he was sick)

Hey, don't forget Rush! A ukulele arrangement of "Limelight" or "Spirit of Radio" would be pretty damned cool.

Chris Tarman
05-25-2010, 05:21 PM

Well, they ARE Canadian. I think that was the point.

guitarjunky
05-26-2010, 04:37 PM
Just received the brand new Airline electric tenor ukulele . The KOA top and chambered mahogany body combine with the Piezo pickup to give you a truly authentic Ukulele tone and playability. Great fun, great for the stage or to play with your favorite amp...

will post pictures soon!

Chris Tarman
06-01-2010, 02:30 PM
You should TOTALLY run the Canadian Grand Prix contest. Last night I had a really great idea for it! Beauty, eh?

guitarjunky
06-01-2010, 04:55 PM
You should TOTALLY run the Canadian Grand Prix contest. Last night I had a really great idea for it! Beauty, eh?

I'm all ears!

Chris Tarman
06-01-2010, 05:08 PM
I mean I had a really great idea for what my submission might be, not how the contest should be set up, lol. So my submission idea is top-secret for now!

ichadwick
06-02-2010, 02:54 AM
Just received the brand new Airline electric tenor ukulele .
Still looking for the pictures....

guitarjunky
06-02-2010, 01:31 PM
I mean I had a really great idea for what my submission might be, not how the contest should be set up, lol. So my submission idea is top-secret for now!

ahhhhh, got it! We will have a new edition of the Montreal Uke Grand Prix inext fall!

guitarjunky
06-02-2010, 01:32 PM
Still looking for the pictures....

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4071/4664253963_3fe82ea8ba_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4019/4664878718_8a32de09a7_b.jpg

sexy!

more details here (http://guitarjunky.ca/spip.php?article1057)

Chris Tarman
06-02-2010, 05:17 PM
ahhhhh, got it! We will have a new edition of the Montreal Uke Grand Prix inext fall!

Ok, that gives me plenty of time to work on it, and figure out how to make a decent video and post it, etc.

guitarjunky
06-03-2010, 05:32 AM
Which is the best brand of ukulele banjo? I would like to start selling those, I find them very cool!

ichadwick
06-04-2010, 02:48 AM
[QUOTE=guitarjunky;384508
sexy!

more details here (http://guitarjunky.ca/spip.php?article1057)[/QUOTE]
You simply gotta get a Toronto outlet so I can go to your store and try these things. It's driving me crazy to look at your pictures and not be able to hold one and play it.

I was in Toronto at Steve's Music on Queen St W last weekend and they were ENTIRELY sold out of ukes. Not even one. Not even a bright-green, sequined Mahalo!

ichadwick
06-04-2010, 02:50 AM
Which is the best brand of ukulele banjo? I would like to start selling those, I find them very cool!
Best is a pretty subjective thing. I'd create a thread under Uke Talk and get some opinions.

Meanwhile - when are you going to bring in Risa and some resonator ukes (tenor, of course)?

guitarjunky
06-04-2010, 03:45 AM
You simply gotta get a Toronto outlet so I can go to your store and try these things. It's driving me crazy to look at your pictures and not be able to hold one and play it.

I was in Toronto at Steve's Music on Queen St W last weekend and they were ENTIRELY sold out of ukes. Not even one. Not even a bright-green, sequined Mahalo!

Or you should simply do a week end get away in MOntreal some times! :-)

guitarjunky
06-04-2010, 03:46 AM
Just got a shipment of Big Island Honu ukuleles... Oh My God! The Koa wood is unbeleivable!!!

Will bring more pics soon!

ichadwick
06-05-2010, 01:45 AM
Or you should simply do a week end get away in MOntreal some times! :-)
Might be worth the trip - maybe in the fall -do you have a retail store as well?

guitarjunky
06-05-2010, 08:25 AM
I have a showroom by appointment with over 100 ukes in stock... and growing!

Nuprin
06-05-2010, 11:47 AM
I have a showroom by appointment with over 100 ukes in stock... and growing!

I live a little south of Montreal (Burlington, VT)...might have to make a trip north of the border to take a look!

fumanshu
06-05-2010, 12:46 PM
ichadwick wrote:
Might be worth the trip - maybe in the fall

If you ever come to Montreal, you can drop by to the Ukulele Club of Montreal, it will be nice to meet some Canadians fellow uke players!!! We're the cornerstone of anything related to uke in the city...so just come and meet some uke passionate players in the city!

ichadwick
06-06-2010, 01:37 AM
You got a date! Well, it'll be a foursome... me, my wife, my uke... and the club... okay maybe more than one uke...

fumanshu
06-06-2010, 02:29 AM
Ichadwick wrote:

You got a date! Well, it'll be a foursome... me, my wife, my uke... and the club... okay maybe more than one uke...

Hi Ian, just let us know when you will come, at the speed that things are going, we will probably have 1 meetimg per week!!! It's actually what we are doing right now, 1 meeting per week... I have such a nice group of motivated members that they want me to maintain that frequency for our meeting.

Since we're those who promote the most ukulele in the whole province of Quebec, we want to have things well organized. We working on having store-showroom for high end ukes only, uke class, etc...
So, yeah you're always welcome to meet us at the club when ever you want!

misteruke
06-06-2010, 02:33 AM

Beansprout makes a really nice banjo uke. http://thebeansprout.com/
Aaron and Heidi are active members of this forum. Youtube is full of people playing their Beansprout if you want to hear one in action.
peace,
Bill

ichadwick
06-06-2010, 02:49 AM
So, yeah you're always welcome to meet us at the club when ever you want!
Thanks. Might be a nice road trip, driving to Montreal. Six, maybe 7 hours each way.

I added a link to your Web site on my Canadian page, by the way.

fumanshu
06-06-2010, 04:13 AM
ichadwick wrote:
Thanks. Might be a nice road trip, driving to Montreal. Six, maybe 7 hours each way.

I added a link to your Web site on my Canadian page, by the way.

Well 6-7 hours it's not too bad...specially if you are accompagnied by someone... I was going to Toronto's store 12th fret a few weeks ago to buy a Luis de Mesquita flamenco guitar but it was sold already.

By the way, if you ever need help for a place in Montreal or whatever, let me know, I'll help you.

Thanks for adding us to your Canadian page!

guitarjunky
06-13-2010, 12:32 PM
The Big Island-Honu ukes are in... WOW!
Here are a few samples...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4059/4697065498_3a302fb9c9.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4054/4697048588_f6228c6287_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4039/4697042356_b4f61880c0.jpg

KevinV
06-13-2010, 03:15 PM
That top one is absolutely stunning!

guitarjunky
06-13-2010, 03:53 PM
yes, this is AAA grade koa... and it sounds as good as it looks...

guitarjunky
08-23-2010, 01:41 AM
Now in stock... aNueNue aNN-BU2 Banjolele - Concert Banjo-Ukulele with hardshell case (http://guitarjunky.ca/spip.php?article1088)

Very cool, very pretty!

guitarjunky
09-22-2010, 01:42 PM
Received 7 new EleUke!!! Cool solid body ukes!

Waiting to receive a new stock of Fluke&Flea including some solidbody as well... Canada is going uke crazy!!!

ichadwick
09-23-2010, 03:24 AM
Any idea when the SB Flukes will be arriving?

mokai
09-23-2010, 07:03 AM
cool, I haven't seen these spruce top Kala acacia tenors before

http://www.guitarjunky.ca/IMG/jpg/IMG_9238.jpg

guitarjunky
09-23-2010, 12:53 PM
Any idea when the SB Flukes will be arriving?

It's in the mail!

guitarjunky
09-23-2010, 12:54 PM
cool, I haven't seen these spruce top Kala acacia tenors before

http://www.guitarjunky.ca/IMG/jpg/IMG_9238.jpg

Quite pretty and lovely sound! More info here: http://guitarjunky.ca/spip.php?article1102

guitarjunky
09-25-2010, 03:48 AM
It's in the mail!

Flukes and Flea ukes, including the solid body just got in!

guitarjunky
09-29-2010, 01:51 AM
Just received 14 different EleUke elec tric ukes... Cool!

v30
09-29-2010, 08:08 AM
Wow you've got some quality uke's there for reasonable prices. In this province, all you can find for ukes are overpriced low end stuff. I'll be in touch when I come up with the funds for that Koaloha concert :drool:

guitarjunky
09-29-2010, 10:12 AM
Wow you've got some quality uke's there for reasonable prices. In this province, all you can find for ukes are overpriced low end stuff. I'll be in touch when I come up with the funds for that Koaloha concert :drool:

Thanks! We are trying to do as much to help the monnunity over here in Canada and try to offer fair prices to all...