Lyle Lites Easy Chord solos book

Gipserio

Reaction score
Just received this book from Amazon. I've hardly had time to have a go at it yet, though it looks about the right level for me so it should be useful. I'm a little disappointed with the CD though, the songas are played with a bass backup, and the uke has low G tuning. I think having a bass on the cd makes things more confusing as you cant get yours to sound like the recording.

And the Low G tuning I find a little below the belt, as the book is advertised as for standard tuning. You can play 'em in high G, but it will sound different.

Anyone used this book?

Regards to all ukers

I have it too. I think it' set up with the uke on one side and the bass on the other. So you might try adjusting your balance to get rid of the bass.

There's actually a DVD now that covers some of the songs from that book. I think it's called "Lyle's Style".

I don't know what to think about Lyle's playing though. IMO, he plays like a bass player (which he was for years). So, the chords seem to hit right on the beat all the time, making it sound a bit static and sterile. Plus, it sounds like he's strumming with a pick.

At the same time though, he's a genius with chords.

Jason

(Edited to say "bass player" rather than "bass play")

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Jason. Have you seen the DVD by the way? I wonder if there's anything to be learnt.

Good idea about getting rid of the bass.

I have not seen the DVD. It sounds pretty good from the description at FMM, but it's $30.00. No reviews on Amazon yet.

We'll see.

Jason

I have it too. I think it' set up with the uke on one side and the bass on the other. So you might try adjusting your balance to get rid of the bass.

There's actually a DVD now that covers some of the songs from that book. I think it's called "Lyle's Style".

I don't know what to think about Lyle's playing though. IMO, he plays like a bass play (which he was for years). So, the chords seem to hit right on the beat all the time, making it sound a bit static and sterile. Plus, it sounds like he's strumming with a pick.

At the same time though, he's a genius with chords.

Jason

I don't have this specific book and CD but I the the Lyle Ritz Solos (15 Chord Solos) and the bass and ukulele are not isolated into different chanels. As for your comment about playing with a pick, I have seen a few videos of him playing some of his more well-known tunes and he was not using a pick in any of them.

Hope some of this is helpful.

I just listened to parts of a few tracks from the CDs I have.

Lyle Lite has most of the bass and other instrumentation on the left channel, and mostly uke on the right channel. If I listen to just the right channel (right earbud, actually), I hear mostly the solo uke, with just a hint of bass.

For the orange book, there doesn't seem to be any separation at all. It sounds like both channels are the same.

As for the pick, I just noticed that in Lyle Lite, it sounds like a rubber pick or something. It could very well just be the way he has his nail cut and/or his strumming technique.

Jason

Top Bottom