What do I need to know about 6/8 string ukes?

wheelgunner

Reaction score
In my quest to build the perfect (for me) ukulele I have been thinking about building a 6 string or an 8 string tenor. What kind of things might rise up to cause me problems unique to those styles?

The added strings add more latent energy, which can be good or bad. You'll need to build slightly heavier for a six string, and a little heavier than that for an 8. You also need to figure out how to fit 6-8 tuners on a head stock, without it getting hideously large. There's plenty room for four, but adding just two starts cramping things up and measurements become very critical. Other than that, they aren't much different from their four stringed brothers.

Tricksy...

I'm confused Pete. Are you meaning that I am tricksy or that you are tricksy or the 6 string or 8 string ukuleles are tricksy or was Tricksy the name of a fan dancer you once knew in Liverpool?

Thanks for the insight Paul. This is one of those things I've just got to try. A map of the minefield is handy, though.

I only had time to put up a cryptic and thinking mans comment. I shall expand...

I cut my teeth on 6 and 8 string tenors back in the mid 1990's. They had slotted headstocks using Schaller mandolin tuners. I made standard single hole and twin pukka models and they sold very well or so I am told. But, as Paul said, you have to build slightly heavier than a standard 4 string and you have to get that bridge plate right! They are also a devil to play well - especially the 6 with it's bass string in the first course. Tricksy to make, tricksy to play.

Top Bottom