Open Mics?

Craig

Reaction score
How many of you all, or as my mother who is from the South says, "ya'll," play open mics? I'm trying to get my performance chops up again and may pursue this venue again.

I play an open mic that I host 3 times a month. I'll usually hit up some others too. I like playing open mics. Depending on the venue, you have to earn your respect.

It's a different animal for sure when you're playing live as opposed to when you're just jamming at home. You don't let yourself get too lax when you play out a couple times a week, and you're always thinking of new tunes to do.

I highly recommend it.

Heya Craig! (I just noticed you were that Craig. How you doing?)

Check out openmikes.org. It's a fabulous resource.

I just searched it for open mikes within 25 miles of Culver City. There's over 80 listings. It's an embarrassment of riches.

And as an aside... I'm a firm supporter of it being "open mike" rather than "open mic." Give Mike, dammit a read. It's by Dr. Samuel Bayer (PhD in linguistics) and I believe him. Plus, it's funny.

Last edited:

And as an aside... I'm a firm supporter of it being "open mike" rather than "open mic." Give Mike, dammit a read. It's by Dr. Samuel Bayer (PhD in linguistics) and I believe him. Plus, it's funny.

He's funny! English is a strange language.

Where do you play? You're not toooo far away from me.

I attend Shippensburg University and play in Carlisle, PA most of the time. When I'm not at school I'm with my family in the Lehigh Valley's Allentown/Bethlehem area.

HH-- I've always thought that "mic" looked wrong somehow. Thanks for giving me an argument for "mike."

Top Bottom