I came clean, and I'm lovin' my new Fluke!

portlandjosh

Reaction score
Well, I decided to come straight out with the fluke purchase with my wife and she took the news pretty well. (More on my sneaky purchase in this thread.) One of the upsides (she hasn't admitted it yet, but she will) is that now we can play together at the same time. That'll be good, 'cause she hasn't been as motivated as I have to play and learn.

So, my conscience is clean! And, I am loving this mango fluke. What a huge sound it has! I took of the low g Hilos and put on high g aquilas, and it's got a booming voice.

I definitely want to get the pegheds instead of the frictions at some point, but that'll wait. Also, anyone get the custom fluke hardshell case? With the kiddos, I will need a hardcase eventually...

Cheers!

Enjoy!
I'm glad she took it well. You got a terrific deal and it is great to share playing with your partner.

Happy St. Valentine's Day to both of you. The origins of that celebration are also a beautiful story.

I've got a mango Fluke, too - I love it! I went to a uke get-together this week and loaned it to somebody for the evening, and it was great to get to hear it from a listener's perspective. It's a wonderful sounding instrument!

I've got a mango Fluke, too - I love it! I went to a uke get-together this week and loaned it to somebody for the evening, and it was great to get to hear it from a listener's perspective. It's a wonderful sounding instrument!

Today I PM'd someone on this very subject. There's nothing like hearing someone else play your ukulele to let you know...the rest of the story.

I always feel much better when my wife knows about the purchase before-hand, but sometimes it just happens - you find that item you can't live without. I guess it's one of those "forgiveness is easier than permission" kind of things...

Glad you have a wonderful wife. Bob (my husband) is pretty awesome about my ukulele playing. He did not want to play a ukulele, but he did buy a few harmonicas. I can't wait until we can play Moon River together.
Happy Valentines Day.

One of the upsides (she hasn't admitted it yet, but she will) is that now we can play together at the same time. That'll be good, 'cause she hasn't been as motivated as I have to play and learn.
I convinced my guitar-wanting girlfriend that the baritone was tuned to the same chords. We started playing together, and later bought her a guitar (or two), and now she's back with the ukulele.

Can't tell you how much the music means to me. Goofy beginner duets, stumbling over lyrics, learning and sharing.

Happy Valentines Day!

This is great stuff! I bought my wife a red burst Dolphin for Valentine's Day (along with some other gifts). I'll give it to her on Sunday. This is a lady who took piano lessons 3 days a week for 10 years while growing up. When we first got married, I bought her a decent Casio keyboard with a bench etc... and yeah she practiced/played but it never took off. Flashbacks to somewhat forced lessons, etc...but with the ukulele (which her dear Mom also played) she spontaneoulsy starts strummin', happy to show me what she learning...and yes, playing together...

It all started with a Christmas gift ukulele...hey, everyone, get your significant other a ukulele not just for any special occasion but simply because...(MGM will read this and applaud).

My wife is the same way. She took lessons as a girl, and played beautifully before we got married. Her mother gave us the old piano, and it has sat in our house unplayed for close to 30 years now. My oldest son now "owns" it, along with my old trumpet. What a shame we grow tired of these things sometimes.

One of the upsides (she hasn't admitted it yet, but she will) is that now we can play together at the same time.
So, my conscience is clean!

Priceless! My first uke was actually a gift for my wife who said she might want one one evening after too many glasses of wine. Naturally, I ordered one on ebay the next morning before she woke up. When it arrived, she asked me to send it back. Of course I kept it and really knew all along it would be for me. Amazing how we arrive at the clean conscience!

Top Bottom