Baritone Uke with high G string

reckomstance

Reaction score
I have large hands and I'm just wondering if anyone knows how a baritone Uke would tune up to GCEA with a high G string. Another consideration is that I see some great deals on baritones, since they seem less popular.

Any thoughts appreciated ;)

I imagine you could do it, even if you took a 2nd high E and used if for a high G.

On a second note, I've seen dudes with some honking large stone-working hands play a meaaaaaaaaaaaan mandolin...I'm sure you could make a tenor work.

I recommend buying the right strings.
Aquila should have high G CEA strings for Baritone. Using the wrong strings may result in too much tension, and pop goes the bridge.
Make sure you use strings intended for Baritone scale length. I tried putting Tenor strings on my Baritone once, and it did not like it...

Other than that, you'll end up with an especially loud Ukulele with a bit more bass tone mixed in.

Aquila does make a gcea set for baritone in high g, I got mine from MGM. He also sells a single low g string to go that way. I have mine in low g and really like the sound.

I have a solid mahogany Kala baritone that I put Aquila gcea strings on and it sounds great-really sings. I wouldn't hesitate to try them.

Definitely get the proper strings. It wasn't the bridge that popped on mine - the whole darn neck started to pull away from the body!

I agree with kenikas, low G is a better sound on the bari.

I've got a cheap old baritone, of unknown origin, that sounds rather dead. I can HIGHLY recommend the Ohana Baritone. I got one for my girlfriend and I loved the way it played and sounded. Now I've got to buy another!

Last edited:
WS, that was wonderful my man, you are very talented. AND, that's exactly what I wanted to know..........you CAN indeed use a high G on a Baritone. That's a unique sound you have there, don't change a thing. :)

WS, really nice video. I'm waiting for Mainland to replenish its baritones, and it was nice to hear what a baritone strung for GCEA tuning sounds like.

Top Bottom