necessity of a case for EVERY uke / humidity questions

rasputinsghost

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a Mainland soon but also want to not blow money on an expensive hardcase. Will a simple humidifier (like a Herco) work in a lightly padded gigbag or do I have to bite the bullet on a hardcase?

The hardcase will only protect against physical bumps and bruises better than a gigbag. If there's a humidifier in either, you should be fine, but that being said, most hard cases have a physical compartment inside the case where you can keep the humidifier with out it bumping around and knocking into your uke.

most hard cases have a physical compartment inside the case where you can keep the humidifier with out it bumping around and knocking into your uke.

I wasn't sure that keeping the humidifier in the compartment would be adequate for humidifying the whole case. That's good to know. Can't really test it right now as I'm struggling to keep my indoor humidity below 70%! Ah, rainy Portland.

Cheers!

The hardcase will only protect against physical bumps and bruises better than a gigbag. If there's a humidifier in either, you should be fine, but that being said, most hard cases have a physical compartment inside the case where you can keep the humidifier with out it bumping around and knocking into your uke.

Are you sure? If you keep it in the compartment, how does that provide humidity? The compartment isn't for that I'm pretty sure. It's for things like uke thongs, tuners, picks, strings,etc. Maybe for storing the humidifier whilst traveling with the uke, but surely not for regular storage?

I have used the Hercos for years ukulele & guitars. I have always kept them in the case compartment.
I have a hygrometer and themometer that I move from case case to case once in a while to monitor what is going on.
The RH routinely stays betweem 40% - 50%. Judging from my experience using the compartment works.
I suggest a hard shell case, even one of the lightweight foam are more protection than just a gig bag.
There are times that toting the uke in a gig bag is more convenient, so I have one that I can put any uke I have in for those times.
A good case protects your ukulele investment.

I wasn't sure that keeping the humidifier in the compartment would be adequate for humidifying the whole case. That's good to know. Can't really test it right now as I'm struggling to keep my indoor humidity below 70%! Ah, rainy Portland.

Cheers!

With the humidity in your home at 70% I'm not sure you need to be using a humidifier in the case. I live in Hawaii and was told that I do not need to use case humidifiers because our RH is pretty high all the time.

Can someone correct me if I am wrong?

With the humidity in your home at 70% I'm not sure you need to be using a humidifier in the case.

Sorry if I was confusing, I am NOT humidifying my ukes in this weather. I'm running a dehumidifier in my house and still can't get it down much more than 65-70%. I anticipate that I will have to humidify a bit in the summer when it dries out here, but certainly not right now. Anybody use dessicant packets inside their cases during humid months?

For only a slight bit more than a gig bag you can get a foam case. Great protection and much more economical than a hard case. Empire Music has good cases; that't where I got mine.

Ralphk

Putting a humidifier in the accessory case probably won't do much. I use Oasis humdifiers and place them between the strings in the soundhole at an angle, as the length of the humidifier is too long to place upright. As long as it is filled correctly, there is little chance of leakage/damage. That said, Oasis has started making a soundhole version for uke. Basically just a scaled down one. Ukulele's are more prone to dryness cracks then guitars because the wood is so thin. At least on good ukes. Also koa is pretty brittle and cracks easily I'm told. Mahogany is a bit better and rosewood better yet for crack resistance. I have a Martin (mahogany), Kumalae (Koa) and a couple of Harmony ukes. All are old and all have some cracks from previous owners but so far so good with me. I check them pretty much daily. So I humidify in the case all winter. This is in Toronto where winter humidity inside can get well below 20%.

Sorry if I was confusing, I am NOT humidifying my ukes in this weather. I'm running a dehumidifier in my house and still can't get it down much more than 65-70%. I anticipate that I will have to humidify a bit in the summer when it dries out here, but certainly not right now. Anybody use dessicant packets inside their cases during humid months?

I would not use desicant at all, ever!

Also, FWIW, the luthier at Sprucehouse in Eugene says he doe s not think humidifiers are necessary in our climate.

Also, FWIW, the luthier at Sprucehouse in Eugene says he doe s not think humidifiers are necessary in our climate.

I'm more concerned about needing to dehumidify 'round here. If I were back in Minnesota, it'd be another thing!

I don't think too much humidity is ever a bad thing unless your uke is sitting in a puddle. I live at the beach, it's always wet here. I own 13 uke made from everything from plywood to koa. Most of them are hanging on the walls of my living room and have been for the last two years. No crack, bubbles or soggy spots. I also know three music stores within a 5 mile radius of me that carry lots of ukes, one is exclusively ukes, thousands of dollars worth of ukes all hanging on the walls, no humidifiers or dehumidifiers necessary.

I have two ukes with two hard cases and both have a humidifer in them. Dry air from furnace puts the humidity around 30% in the house. I even have a whole house humidifier going. To me it is not worth taking a chance, and the easy solution is to put a humidifier in each case.

Top Bottom