wondering what to choose!

VivleUke

Reaction score
Im just starting playing Uke, the problem is that the Uke that i got costed less then 30$ and it's just not playing well...
I've read many thread about youre picks for a beginner, but didnt saw anything about the Fluke or the Concert size flea, is it any good?
Since the music store in Canada only have those cheap 30$ Uke and only Soprano size uke, i cannot try them so...it's a bit annoying!
What you think is it a good Uke for a Beginner?
Thanks!

I think the Fleas and Flukes are good buys. They're of consistent quality, and I haven't heard anything bad about them. The only negatives I hear are from uke purists or those who believe they're too expensive.

Can I ask how much you're looking to spend?

Hi VivleUke, welcome to the forum!

For the Flea/Fluke, please have a peek at our 'REVIEWS' section, which currently has 1 review on a Flea, and 2 on the Fluke. That should be a good place to start. You'll also find reviews on a number of different brands and models. Our review section is new, and still growing, so check back often.

I own one of each and they have served me well for several years now. The fluke was my first uke, and the flea my second, they are both a little beaten, but still play nicely and I'd buy them again. I have written reviews for both of these, but admittedly have lagged on taking the picture so I have not yet submitted them. Overall, the reviews are favorable. Since we're on the subject, I'll effort to get off my duff and get them buttoned up and sent in quickly :rolleyes:.

BTW, fellow UU member Plainsong has been having a great time with her new Koa Flea, but I don't see her review up there yet (nudge) :uhoh:.

Have fun!

My Fluke has gotten more use then my shoes from me. Great sound for a better price.

I also have a Flea which I got after the Fluke. It is the perfect travel uke and the durability is wonderful.

I'd recommend either of them to a beginner. If you are more of a 'purist' who doesn't want a plastic back then I'd recommend a Bushman Jenny. I don't have one, but I have played them and have not had a bad experience thus far.

Hope that helps! :music:

Ok thanks for all your help, i was looking something around 200-300$
Im also considering a Bushman Jenny, since its in my price range, but i like the look of the Fluke a bit more then a traditional Uke.
Any other suggestion in that price range?

Bushman is a good choice. So is Lanikai, Kala, and Koa Pili Koko. Let us know what sound you're going for! Bright or mellow?

Hi Vivleuke,
Welcome to UU. Anyway, my advise to you is to go try and play one of those ukes if you can find the opportunity. Strum the Flea, strum the fluke, strum other ukulele too. If you were to only play the flea or fluke and not hear anyone else strum or play a different make of uke then that would be okay, but if you continue to play and get involved with the uke, you will definately end up hearing what other brands of ukulele there are and end up spending more to get a different sounding uke. Don't make a rush decision. Again, pick up some ukulele, see how they feel in your hand, strum it, does the instrument sound full to you or twangy. Browse through our forums. There are hundred's of others come here and ask the same question. Good luck in your quest. Aloha, Dino

Hi Vivleuke,
Anyway, my advise to you is to go try and play one of those ukes if you can find the opportunity.

That's THE best advice. Getting the opportunity to try your uke before you buy it will guarantee you the best fit for you.

I was looking for maybe a more Mellow sound
And yeah the problem is that there's not a lot of store in my town that sells Uke! So trying to play on other Uke is problematic!

Be sure to check out a bunch of similar threads in the Uke Talk section as well, that will give you something to compare / define your wishes. Perhaps there is some useful info for you to profit from.

I think the "fun factor" is very important with the Flea/Fluke and maybe you pay a little extra for that (at least that's what some people say), but playing the ukulele is mainly about having fun, or in other words: get yourself a uke that you can love.

Go check out shops in your vicinity and see what they have. If there is little choice, buying online may not be a bad choice either if you go with one of the reputable sellers. You'll find out who they are soon enough by reading some more threads here (trying not to advertise until I have experienced the legendary good services myself;)).

Hey thanks to everyone for your help
Im gonna look in the review section!
Thanks again!

You can always try online and the downside is you won't be able to physically play it. A lot of the members here have purchased from MGM and have nothing but good things to say about his service. He maintains an outstanding inventory and he will probably have something in your price range. And he is a member of UU . . .

Music is as good as the player!

I am a newbie to the uke too. Started in Feb. on our trip to Hawaii. Bought myself a "cheap" Kala KA-S mahogany with rosewood fret for $59 and it has been great so far, of course what do I know! I have been playing nearly everyday since and hoping to upgrade my uke too but I think I will have to practice more and make better music first! Love UU, check it out at least once a day and learning lots.
Thanks guys.:D

I've owned a toy Mahalo (I'm sure thats the $30 soprano uke that you will find in most Canadian stores, at least for us out west.) and it was neet to tinker around on, but if you want to grow and learn to play more than novelty songs, you should go with your plan to start a bit higher. I've been talking to MGM for a while about some little issues with my uke and some suggestions about strings and whatnot and he is really helpful. He ships to Canada plenty, so you might want to talk to him about your purchase. Since you dont have great music store resources in your town, buying from MGM means you get top quality instruments with top quality set-up so you wont have anything to worry about.

Its the best when you can play carefree straight out of the box. Just something to think about.

I'm in a small Canadian town too and I know the frustration trying to convince the local music stores I'm serious about ukes. They have $10 toy ukes for kids, and their upscale version is the same $30 model you see. Big deal here was the 'Flying V' model. I'm always bemused that every guitar hanging up in the stores is always in tune, but not a single uke is.

When I ask if they can get something better, they scratch their heads, paw through catalogues and show me a $35 or $40 model, which seems to be the $30 model with gold-plated tuner knobs. I don't think any of the major manufacturers have Canadian distribution.

The store owners know nada about ukes. They can tell me everything about guitars, basees, drums, amps, synthesizers - but on ukes you might as well be asking about ouds or bouzoukis. They're slightly contemptuous if you press them to look for something better, even when you express a willingness to pay a good price - as if you can't be a real musician unless you buy a big instrument. Why bother with a ukulele when you can own this Fender Strat copy for only $299? Here's a Washburn acoustic, my best seller. Take this one for $399. You'll be happier because it has more strings.

One seller finally pulled up an Ovation catalogue and showed me the Applause. Not in stock, mind you, but I could order one, sight unseen, if I wanted to pay for it up front. No, didn't know anything about it. But it's made by Ovation, so it oughta be good... nah never even heard one at the trade shows. Who looks at ukes when there are guitars to be fondled and tried?

Don't even try to get into a conversation about ukulele innovations like solid-body electrics or the Flea/Fluke. Or talk about koa versus mahogany or spruce wood tops. They go all glassy eyed.

I try very hard to buy local, to shop in stores in my town. But I had to get my ukes online (three through MGM), and my Fluke through another seller. I can vouch for Flukes as a fun, durable and good-sounding instrument.

Ok so i finally chose a Bushman Jenny Concert size, and i can't wait to receive it!
I talked to John last week and they are pretty busy there, i hope that the flood didnt affect them at the music workshop!
So i'll post a pics and write a review when i'll receive it! :)

Congrats! What's your next uke gonna be?

Haha im not there yet, but still im starting to think about buying a Lanikai Tenor or a Tenor Fluke...:)

Top Bottom