Bending machine slats

Stephen,
I was wondering the same thing myself when contemplating building a bending form ...before I built my rocket ship pipe bender. I was going to use some 22 gauge steel and then I thought ...does it need to be spring steel so it doesn't take a permanent set when bent? I'm still planning on building a conventional bending form ...just so I can get up to that 17 jigs number. :>) scott

I got a cheap stainless pedal bin..and cut it into sheets..it was enough material to make two Fox type benders..and it was cheaper than the sheet steel from the stockists.
uke015.jpg

Last edited:
Scott, when you build jig number 11, you're buying the beer!

Thanks Timbuck, we have a few of those cans here at work... or rather had!!

I built that bending thingy all out of scrap bits..The stainless bin was thrown out by a nieghbour..The 18mm plywood came from a sheet that I found in a carpark (after a stormy night)..The springs were from a scrap washing machine..and the heat source was an old halogen security sun flood..I had to buy a new bulb Tho'..all the rest came out of my scrap box..up to now it's produced about 60 pairs of soprano sides...Oh! and I keep an eye on the temperature with a "meat thermometer" pushed through a hole drilled in the side.

Last edited:
I built that bending thingy all out of scrap bits..The stainless bin was thrown out by a nieghbour..The 18mm plywood came from a sheet that I found in a carpark (after a stormy night)..The springs were from a scrap washing machine..and the heat source was an old halogen security sun flood..I had to buy a new bulb Tho'..all the rest came out of my scrap box..up to now it's produced about 60 pairs of soprano sides...Oh! and I keep an eye on the temperature with a "meat thermometer" pushed through a hole drilled in the side.

I think you pointed out once before, even new the trash bin cost something like nine pounds. Say Ken, sixty sopranos is a lot--do you have a website where you offer your work for sale?

I think you pointed out once before, even new the trash bin cost something like nine pounds. Say Ken, sixty sopranos is a lot--do you have a website where you offer your work for sale?
No! I just put them on E-bay when done...It's only an addictive Hobby....My next one will be the best yet! I hope

Top Bottom