Stew mac Tenor sound clip

Sweet. How'd you do gloss?

Thanks for sharing. Sounded good and looks good too.

That turned out very nice.
Id love to hear more about how to apply the finish you used.
Dan

That looks fab. 2 things - when demoing learn to keep the instrument still; it's hard to get a good view of what you have done if you keep moving it around. Now to the build: you did a really great job of customising the heel - I can see it has been recarved; something that is essential with the Stewmac kits if you want to improve what you are given... So why didn't you do something with that clunky bridge? I know it is too late now but one way of making a really superior job is to gently round the wings of the bridge so it looks more like the classical guitar cousin it is trying to emulate. And if you further want to enhace, make a pinbridge - you want blanks I can supply...

I hope you don't see this as criticism because it's not. From the video this looks a great build - clean, thoughtful with enough customisation to lift it from the ordinary. Well done!

"My playing sucks!"
Well thats depressing, you play it a lot better than i can! Lovely build well done, i look forward to seeing your next one from scratch. By the way, I usually hate abalone, however you've managed to make it look great, doesnt dominate the uke; but perfects it in my opinion!

That turned out very nice.
Id love to hear more about how to apply the finish you used.
Dan
I put 4 coats of stew macs sanding sealer on it and then level sanded it. Followed by the lacquer 3 to 4 coats a day until I had 3 cans worth on. then I let it cure for 7 days . Then i buffed it I followed william Kings method He explains on his web site. http://chantus.com/journal/index.php?/archives/P2.html
I do recommend maybe using some kind of grain filler you cant see it in the video but there are a few tinny pin holes showing threw form the grain. May be a couple more coats of sealer might have taken care of it

That looks fab. 2 things - when demoing learn to keep the instrument still; it's hard to get a good view of what you have done if you keep moving it around. Now to the build: you did a really great job of customising the heel - I can see it has been recarved; something that is essential with the Stewmac kits if you want to improve what you are given... So why didn't you do something with that clunky bridge? I know it is too late now but one way of making a really superior job is to gently round the wings of the bridge so it looks more like the classical guitar cousin it is trying to emulate. And if you further want to enhace, make a pinbridge - you want blanks I can supply...

I hope you don't see this as criticism because it's not. From the video this looks a great build - clean, thoughtful with enough customisation to lift it from the ordinary. Well done!

Thank you Pete. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. Any advise form a great builder helps that is why I hang around on this forum for help and advise

Thanks for explaining the process you used. It turned out very nice. Have you done it before or was this the first time ??
Dan

Thanks for explaining the process you used. It turned out very nice. Have you done it before or was this the first time ??
Dan

It was my first attempt it was a learning experience. thats why I recommend using some kind of grain fill the mahogany has a lot of pours

Im impressed, I wish I could do that . Very pretty looking & sounding Ukulele. I personally DONT think your playing sucks. and I bet you play even better when that stinking red light isnt looking at you. I know I lose 50 iq points when I see the one on my flip.
Steve

I put 4 coats of stew macs sanding sealer on it and then level sanded it. Followed by the lacquer 3 to 4 coats a day until I had 3 cans worth on. then I let it cure for 7 days . Then i buffed it I followed william Kings method He explains on his web site. http://chantus.com/journal/index.php?/archives/P2.html
I do recommend maybe using some kind of grain filler you cant see it in the video but there are a few tinny pin holes showing threw form the grain. May be a couple more coats of sealer might have taken care of it

It sounds sweet and it's beautiful. You play great, two of my favorite songs. Thanks for the awesome link too.

Top Bottom