Here's a shout out to mad man Pete Howlett

Matt Clara

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Several months ago, I mentioned I was interested in building a yew-kulele, but couldn't find any yew. Pete Howlett said he'd send me some, and he did. I received it just today. I was blown away to find the sides already bent, neck and tail blocks shaped and glued in place, and all in a single layer form no less. The top was cut to shape and had the sound hole, too.
petehowlettyewkit.jpg
He even threw in some of his triangular kerfed lining, though it didn't survive the trip as well as the rest of the kit!

Just minutes after I opened the box and took the above photo, my wife came home. I was gushing to her about Pete's generosity when I turned the top over to find a rosette already in place. As I said to Pete in a PM I sent earlier this evening, I nearly wept. ;)
petehowlettyewkittop.jpgpetehowlettyewkitrosette.jpg

Thanks Pete--you're generous to a fault.
Need any padauk?
:)

Wow! That is to cool. Just another example of how this forum will always outshine the rest. Dang, I like this place and all of the members.

If one considers the amount of extra work Pete has done for all the beginners (which he does not have to do) all the videos he produces for everyone's benefit, stimulating many to try and build, not keeping all his building skills to himself. Bulletin Boards benefit having him frequent here, in short Pete sparks / ignites ideas/ increases readership/stimulates tool sales, or if they are not his ideas, he filmed them for everyone's benefit. His work was tidy, and the instrument demos sounded good. It is for that reason that I support him. I understand that there are other fantastic builders, but their youtube exposure was simply not as frequent (abt 2 years ago) the way Pete was churning out clips on youtube. Good for you Matt Clara, and if I am punting for Pete,(yes I am) I would like him to benefit from this .

Sorry to burst your bubble Matt but the kerfed linings were the detritus from a session using Tree of Heaven wood or Ginko to give its commercial name... Makes nice lining - light and slightly aromatic.

What's all this!..people saying nice things about our Pete ???? instead of the usual insults and arguments....Has he hired Max Clifford ??;)..or are we seeing his better generous side...that I've always known about.:D:D:D

I want a yew-kulele! That grain beats any spruce or cedar I have seen so far.
Here's some Yew..but the only way you can get some wood off this one is to wait untill it blows over in a storm..it's about 5000 years old.
w-runnymede-yew_tree-gallery_pictur.jpg

As a relative newcomer to the forum, I'll join in on the Pete love-fest. It was Pete's YouTube videos that first captured my attention and drew me to this forum. I'm a full time seminary student (at age 51) and have spent many, many study breaks reading the forum and planning a build. I finished my first build over the winter break and now I'm hooked. Pete's honest, skillful, and passionate contributions to this forum spur me on. Thanks Pete!

It's time to stop you guys - I'm humbled. However, I am fairly sure that my stuff just makes the spark; it's you that makes the fire. And remember what Newton said about making achievement on the shoulders of Giants - Chuck, William, Dave, Pete, Tony, Bob, Joel, my old college lecturer and too many to name here from all fields of craft - I've stood on them all.

And Ken - this forum, thankfully, isn't a shark pool. The great thing about this forum is it is not overpopulated with cynics. Generally most people post here because they want to learn and not to boast of their own knowledge however poorly or well obtained. They post to share rather than strut around the yard... and they are discreet enough to notice when others have feet of clay, treating them with respect. It truly is a place of gentlemen/women...

nice post, Pete. Anyone who doesn't have a Howlett ukulele should definitely put it in their plans. It's a quality instrument that you will keep and pass down to the next generation.

and, I'm a cynic and I stil like Pete's ukuleles.

I've always very much appreciated those who are willing to share what they know and Pete's instructional youtube videos are a great resource. Thanks lots, Pete.

dang matt you got lucky ! pete is a real good guy and wants to see people succeed in their uke building it seems. i watch petes videos religeously and man does he make it all look easy ! he is one of my uke building idols !

i have still yet to start my ukulele building sadly :( .. i am scared to try the neck i dont think it will come out good at all .. and i really want a quality and acurate bender.. these things are holdin me back big time !

so who wants to send em to me ? lolol jk jk but seriously you guys are good peoples and make me love this site

Top Bottom