New strings on and everything is ......Alright

BarbaryBill

Reaction score
UK - 30 miles from london and avoiding it when i c
I just replaced the strings on my Baritone Uke. Old ones were 10 months old. I can't believe the difference!

It really is quite astonishing how clear the uke sounds now - and bearing in mind it's not exactly a quality uke thats saying something! I didn't even notice that the old strings had dulled - I just changed them on a whim.

So here's a question, if you live with your uke every day, just how do you hear when to change the strings? Or do ukers rely on whims?

That's a good question. I've been playing stringed instruments for almost 30 years, and I guess I start noticing when strings go dead. Also, I use Aquilas, and after awhile, they get pretty roughed up. My ukes get a lot of playing time though.... every day. Every couple of months for string changes maybe?

Haha, I still have the same Aquilla's for about 15 months now. They feel kind of gritty and make a weird noise when you slid your finger over them. I would really change them, but I can't get parents approval to buy online, and they think that as long as the strings are there, I can play it.

Top Bottom