Nails, pick, or both?

gray53

Reaction score
Should I practice picking with just my fingernails (and risk having one break) or with just a pick (and not being able to pick fast), or with both (and having two learning curves)?

Are you talking about picking individual notes, or strumming full chords?

As for me, personally, I pick individual strings with my fingertips. No nails (or picks) involved. Strumming is with the nail side of my index finger, mostly. You don't have to do it the same way, of course, but it works pretty well for me.

JJ

Depends on you and what you want to do with the instrument.

There really are no right way or wrong way to go about it. Picks seem much less commonly used, but it's more a matter of what works for you.

I personally prefer to grow out my nails on my right hand a bit because I tend towards fingerstyle type playing with the thumb, forefinger and middle. You may find another way. But the majority of players I know seem to do most of their strumming and such with their index fingernail and the occasional upstroke with the back of the thumb. Some folks have trouble growing nails and just use the pads on their fingertips, but the nail gives it that little extra bit of clarity and volume that I prefer.

If you take decent care of your nails and file (rather than clip) they shouldn't be too much trouble. The thing to keep in mind is that they really only need to be long enough to go past the fingertip. You don't need super long nails at all. There are also strengtheners that can help. I mean, it's not all foolproof and you will occasionally break one, but it's not a grand world ending tragedy. They do grow back. If you do a site search there's bound to come up a few threads about nail care.

Last edited:
I am not super fond of picks. i have never been able to use them properly lol. If you don't want to break a nail, use the pads like others have put. I had to do that till i could get my fingernails grown.

I like the fingernails though because when i use the pads of my fingers, i have to pluck really hard to get the same volume that i would get from my fingernails. Plucking harder gets me more buzzes and what not.

So i personally like my fingernails.

I've never used a pick on a ukulele. I also keep my nails very short, so they don't get caught when I'm strumming. Sorry, what was the question again?

My background is classical guitar, so that's how I pick, P-I-M-A. But the truth is, you don't need your nails to be very long to do that. I have to remember to curb mine regularly, otherwise if they get too long, they tend to break.

I really don't like picks for 'ukulele. Don't like picks on bass guitar either. I like the tactile dimension to fingerstyle playing on both instruments.

When my nails are long I use them on uke: I get a brighter, louder sound for playing gigs and sessions that way. When they break or I've cut them it's no big deal, I just play as JJ describes - fingertips. Not quite as loud, but good tone.

I played guitar before discovering the ukulele. At first I had to play with a pick.I couldnt get the hang of using my fingernails.
I let my nails grow a bit and Voila ! Use your nails.

my advice is to not use a pick.
the ukulele strings are almost always some type of nylon, so they typically arn't gonna be too hard on the hands.
not to mention, when i've used a pick i find that it gives the ukulele a more tinny sound, which differs from the great airy and light tone that a ukulele strummed with the fingers makes.

in short:
be a man... use your hand.

Hawaiian style we don't use picks. That way you always ready to play, never a "oops I forgot my pick".

"You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose... but you can't pick your friend's nose"

personally, i think you can get almost as good a sound from your fingertips as from the fingernails. my wife hates when my nails are even a tiny bit long and so i keep them relatively short. you learn to adapt. as for picks, when i fixed my soprano 12 years ago, i bought a couple felt picks. never really used them, but remembered using them when ukulele was first introduced to me in like the 3rd grade. there was a kid recently in a local ukulele club i go to who is starting out and loves to use a regular guitar pick and it made his instrument sound aweful (plus he was a little out of tune and didn't seem to care and the guitar pick really made that stand out). he insisted he liked playing with a pick better, so a couple weeks ago, i gave him one of my felt pics. because it's quite a bit softer, it gives a tone closer to your fingers. his sound improved dramastically.

lesson: if you're going to use a pick, please use a felt pick!

I really don't like picks for 'ukulele. Don't like picks on bass guitar either. I like the tactile dimension to fingerstyle playing on both instruments.

Hear hear!

I just bought a felt pick and I really can only use it on like one song I know because picking is hard and chunking is hard with the pick.

i play guitar too, so i know how to use a pick, but iprefer my nails. very rarely i play with a pick on my uke, mainly because i don't want to damage the wood as badly. and also, as someone said earlier, the strings of a ukulele are nylon and shouldn't be too hard on one's nails. i would say learn to use fingers, nails or not, because that way you don't look clueless if you forget a pick :p it makes you more prepared for instances if you forget one, and also using fingers for me helps draw out the sweet honey-like sound out of my uke.

Having quite strong fingernails I use them mostly to pick like I used on classical guitar but i also use my index nail as you would with a pick allowing me to use the guitar techniques it's associated with, while being able to switch between those different techniques :)

Since I took up 'ukulele I have totally stopped using a pick on guitar as well!

I only play acoustic guitar - fingerpicking, strumming or hybrid of the two. No electric-style solos. Works fine for me.

Now I only use picks on mandolin family instruments

my advice is to not use a pick.
Nonsense. Use the tool that best provides the sound you want. Use fingertips, fingernails, flat picks, felt picks, fingerpicks - whatever you want. Hell, use rusty nails and a Coke-bottle slide if it appeals to you. Try them all and discover the wide range of tone and sound available from a uke from each different method. There are no rules, only preferences.

Picks are underrated on this board. They're fine for ukes and offer some other techniques not available with fingerpicking and stumming. They're not always appropriate for all music, but don't ignore them.

Plug into an amp, push up the distortion, grab that pick and wail away some heavy metal. Or flutter your fingertips over the naked strings for a more mellow mood. All up to you.

Top Bottom