PDA

View Full Version : Which would you rather?

Tigeralum2001
02-13-2010, 02:08 PM
To steal a feature from TMZ, I thought it might be fun to have a poll.

haolejohn
02-13-2010, 02:55 PM
Only because I already own a sceptre. Now if that was a PS or a koaloha tenor then my vote would be for the koaloha.

SweetWaterBlue
02-13-2010, 03:23 PM
Tough choice. I guess it would also depend on the condition of the Martin.

Tigeralum2001
02-13-2010, 03:54 PM
Tough choice. I guess it would also depend on the condition of the Martin.
Fair enough. Since it is 45+ years old, let's say "very good to excellent."

ukulelearp
02-13-2010, 04:08 PM
Martin. Sceptre's way too flashy for me.

Doctroid
02-13-2010, 04:40 PM
The ebony Sceptre has stunningly pretty wood -- but the Sceptre design doesn't do it for me. Not because it's "different", I have no problem with different. And I'm sure it's a great instrument. It just doesn't appeal to me visually.

Tigeralum2001
02-13-2010, 04:45 PM
The ebony Sceptre has stunningly pretty wood -- but the Sceptre design doesn't do it for me. Not because it's "different", I have no problem with different. And I'm sure it's a great instrument. It just doesn't appeal to me visually.
To each his or her own! I like all types of ukes- traditional and unconventional designs, vintage and new, no inlays and fancy inlays. I'm just glad we have luthiers that both produce traditional styles and luthiers that push the boundaries of what is possible.

MartinLil
02-13-2010, 05:01 PM
This is very interesting as these are two of the top ukes on my list. I love my Sceptre!! And I would love to love a Martin Style-O (two are for sale on UMGF right now). Both sounds are so amazing and different. Can I vote for both?

If i could only own one though, it would definitely be the Sceptre that Papa KoAloha just made for me! :D

pithaya9
02-13-2010, 05:03 PM
To each his or her own! I like all types of ukes- traditional and unconventional designs, vintage and new, no inlays and fancy inlays. I'm just glad we have luthiers that both produce traditional styles and luthiers that push the boundaries of what is possible.

:agree:

I would pick the KoAloha Sceptre, but then I'm kind of a KoAloha addict.

phanzo
02-13-2010, 05:08 PM
I said the Sceptre...but that's only bc I already have a 60's Style 0 :D

ritzer012
02-13-2010, 05:34 PM

im with you on this one too...martin for me

ukecantdothat
02-13-2010, 06:13 PM
I've never played a Sceptre, so I won't offer an opinion. I will say this, however:
I must be getting old if a 60's Martin is considered "vintage"...::old:

Ahnko Honu
02-13-2010, 06:29 PM
I just can't like the Sceptre, too angular and pointy, the anti-pineapple!

pdxuke
02-13-2010, 10:01 PM
Martin. I want the plunk.

Tigeralum2001
02-14-2010, 06:17 AM
I've never played a Sceptre, so I won't offer an opinion. I will say this, however:
I must be getting old if a 60's Martin is considered "vintage"...::old:
Well, cars ARE "classic" at 20 years. I recently read that instruments were considered "vintage" at 30 years. Humans, however, have a different scale based on mental & physical capacity! :)

wickedwahine11
02-14-2010, 06:24 AM
I'm going with the Sceptre. I find I'm becoming more of a KoAloha fangirl every day...

pithaya9
02-14-2010, 06:36 AM
I'm going with the Sceptre. I find I'm becoming more of a KoAloha fangirl every day...

WOW!! Thats something I thought I'd never here from you Oh Wicked One. LOL

Have a Happy Valentines Day Staci

Jack

ukecantdothat
02-14-2010, 08:06 AM
Well, cars ARE "classic" at 20 years. I recently read that instruments were considered "vintage" at 30 years. Humans, however, have a different scale based on mental & physical capacity! :)
Yeah, I've heard that before, but every now and then I get reminded of my ever expanding geezerdom like this. My driver's license says 52, but my mind has the numbers reversed!

pdxuke
02-14-2010, 08:19 AM

Yes, based on that scale I've moved from CLASSIC to ANCIENT!:old:

kenikas
02-14-2010, 08:19 AM
I just can't like the Sceptre, too angular and pointy, the anti-pineapple!
I've got to agree with the "too angular and pointy", but voted for the Koaloha anyway since I really want to try one. I wasn't overly impressed by the couple of Martins I've been able to try.

Chris Tarman
02-14-2010, 08:21 AM
Martin hands down. I am sure the Sceptre is a great instrument, but I have the kind of personality that is drawn to old classic designs. I smoke a pipe, I own an MG Midget, and I definitely have "Vintage Martin Ukulele Fever". I am currently hatching a plot... details soon I hope. Mwahahahahah!!!!

wickedwahine11
02-14-2010, 08:21 AM
WOW!! Thats something I thought I'd never here from you Oh Wicked One. LOL

Have a Happy Valentines Day Staci

Jack

Thank you. ;) Same to you Jack...

SweetWaterBlue
02-14-2010, 08:40 AM
What we need is a good YouTube Vintage Martin vs Koaloha Sceptre throwdown, but I don't know if anyone here owns both. Its amazing how close the vote is coming out.

haolejohn
02-14-2010, 09:59 AM
I've got to agree with the "too angular and pointy", but voted for the Koaloha anyway since I really want to try one. I wasn't overly impressed by the couple of Martins I've been able to try.

Were the martins older or the newer ones? That makes a difference. I only voted for the martin b/c I own a sceptre already. I still think a sceptre sounds better than a martin. At least to me.

Zaza The Rebel
02-14-2010, 10:29 AM
I have to agree with those who voted for Martin...I don't like the pointiness of the Sceptre at all. They're not appealing to me. That nice Martin shape, though...mmm :) I would love to try one of those or an even older uke. TV Pal anyone?

johncaudrey
02-14-2010, 10:35 AM
Got to be the Martin for me too. I am sure those Sceptres sound great but the look does nothing for me!

experimentjon
02-14-2010, 11:28 AM
Hmm, I've never really understood the charm of the Martin. I'd have to go with another Sceptre. :P

haole
02-14-2010, 11:32 AM
The Sceptre isn't my favorite-looking uke, but I've liked 90% of the KoAlohas I've played. I've only liked maybe 10% of the Martins I've played.

lisaxy424
02-14-2010, 11:46 AM
Where's the "either" button? :)

StereoJoker
02-14-2010, 12:19 PM
Auuuugh. I love both of them for different reasons, but I'm going to have to go with the Martin on this one. I'd constantly be afraid of injuring myself on the Sceptre all the time (I'm the type of person who somehow manages to get toothpaste in her eye -- I have no idea how I do these things), so a classic uke would be better.

Of course, I wouldn't turn a Sceptre down if it were offered! (Especially if it was the special edition ebony model.)

GX9901
02-14-2010, 01:34 PM
To me, a Martin style 0 and a Sceptre is about as apples and oranges as apples and oranges go. The Martin is a classic 12-fret soprano made of mahogany while the Sceptre is a 20-fret (or thereabouts) concert or tenor made of koa. I think which one to choose depends completely on your preference in ukuleles. Since I like to have at least 17 total frets on any sized ukulele, my choice would be the Sceptre by default.

kenikas
02-14-2010, 02:22 PM
Were the martins older or the newer ones? That makes a difference. I only voted for the martin b/c I own a sceptre already. I still think a sceptre sounds better than a martin. At least to me.

They were older used Martins they had for sale in a local shop, but I don't remember what models they were.

experimentjon
02-14-2010, 02:23 PM
To me, a Martin style 0 and a Sceptre is about as apples and oranges as apples and oranges go. The Martin is a classic 12-fret soprano made of mahogany while the Sceptre is a 20-fret (or thereabouts) concert or tenor made of koa. I think which one to choose depends completely on your preference in ukuleles. Since I like to have at least 17 total frets on any sized ukulele, my choice would be the Sceptre by default.

Any reason for the 17 fret count? Or is that just an arbitrary-- but well reasoned-- number, like how I like my knives to weigh in in under 4oz and have blades of around 3.4in?

GX9901
02-14-2010, 02:27 PM
Any reason for the 17 fret count? Or is that just an arbitrary-- but well reasoned-- number, like how I like my knives to weigh in in under 4oz and have blades of around 3.4in?

Well, it would actually be 18 frets, since that's as far up the fretboard I could currently play. Since I don't think there are any sopranos with more than 17 frets (and if there are, the spacing makes it really hard to use), that's why I said 17 frets. I'm not sure if that's well reasoned, but I figure I might as well have an instrument that I can use to play all the songs I can play.

Tigeralum2001
02-14-2010, 05:01 PM
To me, a Martin style 0 and a Sceptre is about as apples and oranges as apples and oranges go.
That's what makes it interesting!

syrynx
02-14-2010, 06:47 PM
I voted for the Sceptre only because I already have a truly vintage Martin Style 1. (As I was born in the first half of the last century, to me a '60s uke is not "vintage" but "used." :p

My Martin was made in 1926 or before (wooden friction pegs), and is in near factory new condition. Also, it was given to me by my late wife's father, who is also deceased. Because of its monetary and sentimental value, I can't do anything with it but play it at home.

I'd never buy a Sceptre; the design doesn't appeal to me at all. But if someone gave me one, I'd immediately sell or trade it for two or three more practical instruments. :D