PDA

View Full Version : The new Ebony Sceptre - Nice!

SweetWaterBlue
02-13-2010, 04:24 PM
http://www.koaloha.com/Signature_Line/SceptreEbony.html

Tigeralum2001
02-13-2010, 04:32 PM
It is interesting. I think the price is what doesn't do it for me. I think I've seen $4000. If I were spending that, I would have to look at a Martin 5k or the Juke http://www.koaloha.com/products/signature/juke/

portlandjosh
02-13-2010, 04:38 PM
It is stunning!

Melissa82
02-13-2010, 04:40 PM
I saw it. It made me cry because I will never own one, lol.

MartinLil
02-13-2010, 05:03 PM
It is interesting. I think the price is what doesn't do it for me. I think I've seen $4000. If I were spending that, I would have to look at a Martin 5k or the Juke http://www.koaloha.com/products/signature/juke/

I'm pretty sure it's more around $2,500 or $3,000 than $4,000. I would absolutely, incredibly, overwhelmingly enjoy and love to own this version of the Sceptre!!!

keithy351
02-13-2010, 05:05 PM
i really do not like it one bit, i think it looks rather "not right" like its been slapped together with bits and pieces around the house, but everyone has different taste but $4000 price tag also, wow, i would of thought it was a more budget sceptre one everyone can afford thats alot for a uke

pithaya9
02-13-2010, 05:07 PM
I seen one for sale a while back and I believe it was $3500. I'd like to have one with a one piece koa top and neck..................someday

molokinirum
02-13-2010, 05:09 PM
Oh baby...ain't she purty!!!! She can stay at my house any time!!!!

haolejohn
02-13-2010, 05:11 PM
What makes it so expensive I think is the ebony. Isn't ebony more rare than koa?

rudeuke
02-13-2010, 05:29 PM
i really dont care for the shape its just somehting about it.
to me it seems (going of sight i have yet to play) that its is 100% style and 0% function with the shape of the body

ambrose
02-13-2010, 05:36 PM
Ebony is very hard and heavy. It's probably loud. A bit too Aquaman for my taste though.

keithy351
02-13-2010, 05:39 PM
to me it seems (going of sight i have yet to play) that its is 100% style and 0% function with the shape of the body

owww this ones gonna offend the fellow sceptre owners lol, nah mate, the shape is unique and these ukes the sceptres are 100% style 150% function, listen to one on youtube, there like no other

Paul December
02-13-2010, 05:40 PM
I find the regular sceptre odd looking, and this 2-tone version even more so.

rudeuke
02-13-2010, 05:51 PM
owww this ones gonna offend the fellow sceptre owners lol, nah mate, the shape is unique and these ukes the sceptres are 100% style 150% function, listen to one on youtube, there like no other

lol i know they sound lovely maybe i mis-spoke i know they sound like a dream. im ment the way the feel resting on your stomach/lap.

Kite
02-13-2010, 05:51 PM
I find the regular sceptre odd looking, and this 2-tone version even more so.

Mhmm. But the Pineapple Sunday and Juke are two completely different stories to me:iwant:

ukecantdothat
02-13-2010, 05:57 PM
As long as this, too, is out of my reach, I'd have to say it would look better with a black lacquer finish on top instead of the white.

pithaya9
02-13-2010, 05:57 PM
lol i know they sound lovely maybe i mis-spoke i know they sound like a dream. im ment the way the feel resting on your stomach/lap.

They are easier to hold than a standard shape 'ukulele. IMO

MartinLil
02-13-2010, 06:10 PM
What makes it so expensive I think is the ebony. Isn't ebony more rare than koa?

YES!!! Ebony is very rare and can be difficult to legally obtain in high quantity. One could ask Gibson about this and the Federal investigation they had... I read an article about it but am not up-to-date on if it was legally obtained (from Africa) or not.

I would LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE to have one of these ebony Sceptres. I thought the drooling over the Sceptre I have was bad. I can't stop!

haolejohn
02-13-2010, 06:59 PM

That my friend is why you must play one. It sounds better than it looks and believe it or not it is actually my most comfortable uke to play.

MartinLil
02-14-2010, 02:54 AM
I have to agree with my fellow Sceptre owners. My Sceptre, although she's my only one right now, is the most comfortable ukulele to hold and rest on my leg. Of course, I'm a soprano player at heart, but there is just something about the Sceptre that wins me over every time I pick her up.

dkcrown
02-14-2010, 04:10 AM
I spoke to Brian at KoAloha about this Sceptre. He said that it sounds amazing but that it is very heavy.

I had originally called to inquire about their Hapa Concert that they are making for Kiwaya for sale in Japan. Now that is one beautiful uke IMO. After being redirected to Kiwaya USA, I was told that there was await list of about 30 people for it. Since Paul at KoAloha is the only one building these beauties, I imagine the wait could be years. By then, hopefully I will have saved enough pennies to afford one. $1500.00!

[url]www.koaloha.com

MartinLil
02-14-2010, 04:19 AM
I'm saving up for (at least) one of the next four masterpieces that Papa KoAloha will be producing. I can't wait to see what the next one is! December seems so far away.

Did you ask Brian the exact price of an ebony Sceptre?

dkcrown
02-14-2010, 04:23 AM
No. He saids that Pops made only three and they have been sold.

I'm saving up for (at least) one of the next four masterpieces that Papa KoAloha will be producing. I can't wait to see what the next one is! December seems so far away.

Did you ask Brian the exact price of an ebony Sceptre?

dnewton2
02-14-2010, 05:38 AM
No. He saids that Pops made only three and they have been sold.

I don't doubt that he said this, but there is a picture of 7 of these in the building process on Ukulele Ghetto. (http://gx9901ukes.blogspot.com/2008/01/visiting-koaloha.html) Scroll down some to see them. It says $4000 a pop.

I am pretty sure Victoria Vox has one of these. I have seen one in person but they shop owner had it behind his desk and didn't offer to let me play it. He said is was not for sale but he later sold it for $3500 I think.

I have to agree that the sceptre I have played was very comfortable to hold while playing. Way easier then the PS. It also had an amazing sound.

Ronnie Aloha
02-14-2010, 05:45 AM
Someone on this board bought a used one from acousticvibes.

Ronnie Aloha
02-14-2010, 05:46 AM
I don't doubt that he said this, but there is a picture of 7 of these in the building process on Ukulele Ghetto. (http://gx9901ukes.blogspot.com/2008/01/visiting-koaloha.html) Scroll down some to see them. It says $4000 a pop.

I am pretty sure Victoria Vox has one of these. I have seen one in person but they shop owner had it behind his desk and didn't offer to let me play it. He said is was not for sale but he later sold it for $3500 I think.

I have to agree that the sceptre I have played was very comfortable to hold while playing. Way easier then the PS. It also had an amazing sound.

VV has a Pineapple Sunday ebony. I'm not sure about a Sceptre. Deach has some photos of it on his photo page.

dnewton2
02-14-2010, 05:50 AM
Someone on this board bought a used one from acousticvibes.

Thats the one I saw.

VV has a Pineapple Sunday ebony. I'm not sure about a Sceptre. Deach has some photos of it on his photo page.

That what I was thinking of, my mistake. Thanks for setting my strait.:o

dkcrown
02-14-2010, 06:13 AM

Great photos, thanks for the link. Very interesting to see that stack of Pineapple Sundays waiting to be sanded.

Maybe all of those ebony Sceptres had been spoken for.

Skrik
02-14-2010, 06:50 AM
I would have a big problem owning this ukulele: after a little while of playing, I'd go blind, and my hands would drop off.

guitharsis
02-14-2010, 07:08 AM
I spoke to Brian at KoAloha about this Sceptre. He said that it sounds amazing but that it is very heavy.

I had originally called to inquire about their Hapa Concert that they are making for Kiwaya for sale in Japan. Now that is one beautiful uke IMO. After being redirected to Kiwaya USA, I was told that there was await list of about 30 people for it. Since Paul at KoAloha is the only one building these beauties, I imagine the wait could be years. By then, hopefully I will have saved enough pennies to afford one. $1500.00!

[url]www.koaloha.com

Saw pics of the Hapa Concert. I liked that one too. Interesting about the connection with Kiwaya.

GX9901
02-14-2010, 01:56 PM
I don't think the ebony Sceptre is a new development, as I saw them in Oahu over two years ago. I didn't get to play any (the ones at KoAloha are not finished and the one I saw at a shop was behind a glass display case), but I'm pretty sure they would sound awesome. I remember the MSRP is over $4000, so it's definitely very spendy.

I'm somewhat puzzled by the cost of Macassar ebony. It seems that most guitar companies use Macassar ebony only in their premium lines, but the cost of Macassar ebony wood sets are about the same as koa. Also, Pono made a Macassar ebony line for a couple of years, which suggests that the wood isn't super rare or valuable. Also, I have a Macassar ebony concert made by William King and there wasn't any upcharge involved to use this wood over koa.

koalohapaul
02-14-2010, 02:40 PM
Macassar is much more expensive than koa. Finding a steady supply is also troublesome. The cost per set for a smaller custom builder might be close, but there's a big price differential for higher volume builders. Last time I shopped around, ebony was going for about $90-$100/bf. What's being sold as AAAAA master grade curly koa is a little cheaper. Custom and small shops often buy small amounts at retail or close to retail.

We buy anything we can straight from the sawmill. Quarter sawn select and better koa will run between $15-$25/bf. Sometimes there's a little bit of curl in the pile, but anything curly is usually put aside and sells for a higher premium. I buy my ebony from a mill in NC, and after shipping it comes out to about $60/bf.

Factoring in the higher cost of material, labor (time to mill), and unreliable supply of ebony is what makes the ebony sceptres so expensive. I have a stock pile of ebony, but I really don't know when I'll be able to pick up more at a decent price. It's so expensive, I can't buy too much at once, although I do grab the maximum of what my budget will allow. In my opinion, ebony is going to become really hard to find in 15 years, so I use it sparingly.

GX9901
02-14-2010, 03:26 PM
Macassar is much more expensive than koa. Finding a steady supply is also troublesome. The cost per set for a smaller custom builder might be close, but there's a big price differential for higher volume builders. Last time I shopped around, ebony was going for about $90-$100/bf. What's being sold as AAAAA master grade curly koa is a little cheaper. Custom and small shops often buy small amounts at retail or close to retail.

We buy anything we can straight from the sawmill. Quarter sawn select and better koa will run between $15-$25/bf. Sometimes there's a little bit of curl in the pile, but anything curly is usually put aside and sells for a higher premium. I buy my ebony from a mill in NC, and after shipping it comes out to about $60/bf.

Factoring in the higher cost of material, labor (time to mill), and unreliable supply of ebony is what makes the ebony sceptres so expensive. I have a stock pile of ebony, but I really don't know when I'll be able to pick up more at a decent price. It's so expensive, I can't buy too much at once, although I do grab the maximum of what my budget will allow. In my opinion, ebony is going to become really hard to find in 15 years, so I use it sparingly.

Thanks for the information Paul. I based my comment regarding ebony wood sets from what I saw on LMI, so I thought ebony wasn't that much more expensive than koa. I guess I was comparing Macassar ebony to high grade koa though. Anyway, I love Macassar ebony ukes and am glad to have owned a couple. I think the ebony Sceptre is a work of art!