PDA

View Full Version : What did Cupid bring you?

Sambient
02-14-2010, 03:00 AM
Sure, it's not Christmas. But I'm confident there's some sweethearts out there.
I got my antique white tele Mahalo. The additional appeal of this for me is many years ago for his 40th birthday, I bought my husband a white Telecaster. We're probably gonna take a pic of the two of them together later. But I rushed this photo now to say Happy Valentines Day Ukulele Underground.

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w297/Sambient/DSCN0192.jpg

I also got some Valentines Peeps!

MartinLil
02-14-2010, 03:04 AM
Sweet! How does she sound?

Sambient
02-14-2010, 03:12 AM

Not as fantastically ringy as the Mahalo LP that I'm always going on about, but it's decent. This one might need some tweaking.
I think Mahalo does a good cheap uke. They nail the novelty thing well. I have one of the round camp uke ones on it's way and I can't wait.

Ahnko Honu
02-14-2010, 03:15 AM
Keaka Kukae

Sambient
02-14-2010, 03:17 AM
Keaka Kukae

Qu'est-que c'est?

DogBisquit
02-14-2010, 11:48 AM
Keaka Kukae

Qu'est-que c'est?
He didn't get anything.

I don't speak Hawaiian, but my brother lives over there.
It was a good enough excuse to call.
This is a polite translation.

Me too, bruddah.

wickedwahine11
02-14-2010, 12:07 PM
Flannel sheets, no flowers or candy. That is what I get for marrying someone practical instead of romantic. :(

JT_Ukes
02-14-2010, 12:16 PM

Silly, Peeps don't make sounds.. they are marshmellos....

Melissa82
02-14-2010, 12:17 PM
4 new tires.

And a deposit on a Green Cheek Conure.

Sambient
02-14-2010, 12:31 PM

*gaspy gasp gasp*

MartinLil
02-14-2010, 12:38 PM
4 new tires.

And a deposit on a green cheek conure.

Woooooooooooooooooow!!! :D

pdxuke
02-14-2010, 01:04 PM
4 new tires.

Like this one? (http://www.forthebirdsdvm.com/laurabig.jpg)

mailman
02-14-2010, 01:16 PM
A copy of Music Theory for Dummies. I had wondered aloud whether or not there was such a book, and she went and got it for me. It's about time I started learning this stuff....

She also got me a bag of Valentine-colored M&M peanut candies and a couple of NYS Lottery scratch-off cards (if I win some money, it's new uke time!)

buddhuu
02-14-2010, 01:21 PM
A card from my wife.

I didn't need it. I have my wife.

Life is good. :)

SailQwest
02-14-2010, 01:33 PM
Silk scarf with cats & hearts (today is also our cat's birthday)
Beach-scene make-up bag (just right for spare strings, tuners, shakers, etc.)
Cell phone case (perfect for keeping a couple of harmonicas handy)

Melissa82
02-14-2010, 01:33 PM
Like this one? (http://www.forthebirdsdvm.com/laurabig.jpg)Like this. It's a Pineapple green cheek conure
http://www.avesint.com/images/pina7-8-08.jpg

mailman
02-14-2010, 01:54 PM
A copy of Music Theory for Dummies. I had wondered aloud whether or not there was such a book, and she went and got it for me. It's about time I started learning this stuff....

She also got me a bag of Valentine-colored M&M peanut candies and a couple of NYS Lottery scratch-off cards (if I win some money, it's new uke time!)

Just scratched the lottery cards and I won!........$2. Okay, so it's not enough for a new uke, but it's enough for two more lottery cards!

cashew
02-14-2010, 02:15 PM
I got some chocolates from my dad :)
I got a mani and pedi from my hubby (well, he paid for it)
and, he's getting me a new wedding band for everyday wear. (I kinda slammed my engagement ring, and now, I'm afraid I'm going to really hurt it.)

:)

NatalieS
02-14-2010, 02:23 PM
4 new tires.

Oh that's great, congratulations! Birds have always been a big part of my life, from finches and a macaw when I was a kid to the two linnies I have now. I'm hoping to add a Pionus to my family soon. Have fun with your little one and post pictures when he/she comes home!!

Brewerpaul
02-14-2010, 02:42 PM
We weren't planning on exchanging gifts. Yesterday, the old washing machine that came with our house when we moved in 1.5 yrs ago outright died, so we ordered ourselves a new Valentine's Day washer and dryer. Romantic ol' things, aren't we?

Mim
02-14-2010, 02:50 PM
I did not thing for my husband... not even a card... I am terrible and have been stressed lately. He suprised me with flowers and this Sony IPOD/CD Steror thingy I have been wanting for my kitchen so I can listen to music while I cook/clean. He traded something of his for a IPOD on Craigslist and I sort of took that over as well. Poor guy... He loves me! I just had no clue what to get him. I dropped HEAVY hints for my stereo.

Oh, I did make some cupcakes and some of them had some memories written on them from when we were dating. Fun stuff! But still... I need to do better.

mds725
02-14-2010, 02:53 PM
Like this. It's a Pineapple green cheek conure
http://www.avesint.com/images/pina7-8-08.jpg

Cute. Those things are noisy, though. When I went to buy a conure I was living in an apartment and the bird store guy recommended a small African parrot (called a red bellied parrot) instead.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4055/4357462013_363ebb876c_m.jpg

itsme
02-14-2010, 03:16 PM
Flannel sheets, no flowers or candy. That is what I get for marrying someone practical instead of romantic. :(
Now that is practical.

4 new tires.

But... you don't drive, right?

There's a house half a block from us that has two huge blue & gold macaws on their front porch. Those things are incredibly loud. I'd hate to live next door to them.

Hope it works out for you and that Roxi isn't jealous.

A card from my wife.

I didn't need it. I have my wife.

Life is good. :)
Aw, you are a sweet husband. We don't do cards for the two of us, but I got one for my mom. She likes sentimental stuff, so I always get those big, sappy ones. Between the card, tax and extra postage because it was oversized, it was ~$7, not that I'm complaining.

I bought my husband a can of cashews and a box of Irish Creme filled chocolates and put them on his desk after he went to bed last night. This morning he chastised me for buying him something after I told him not to, but I said they were as much for me as for him. ;) And I bought two big fancy chocolate cupcakes at the bakery this afternoon on my walk back from the post office.

All told for the nuts, candy and cupcakes, I spent less than it cost to send that one card to my mom. :eek: Hubby said a can of nuts with a hand-written post-it note stuck on it was better than any card.

NatalieS
02-14-2010, 04:28 PM
Cute. Those things are noisy, though. When I went to buy a conure I was living in an apartment and the bird store guy recommended a small African parrot (called a red bellied parrot) instead.

Green-cheeks have their moments but they are much quieter than other conure species (like sun conures). Their call is truly ear-piercing, ouch!

lochtessmonster
02-14-2010, 05:31 PM
We took our two boys to San Francisco, Pier 39 (super-touristy, shopping, aquarium, wax museum, nice seafood restaurants...). I had planned to have the boys all day but my in-laws surprised me by asking to take them overnight tonight. No telling what we'll do for the rest of the night. Devon also got me a really sweet card. I have all the "stuff" I need you know? Just happy to have what I have in my life.

Melissa: New bird? AWESOME! How much longer till hubby is home again? *hugs to you, my dear*

salukulady
02-14-2010, 05:47 PM
Been married 25 years and don't really celebrate. Had band practice at 10 today. Didn't open my eyes until 9:15. Jumped out of bed to run and set up the garage for practice to find my hubby had set up everything and allowed me to sleep. I thanked him by making him a pot of coffee. While my band was practicing he did all the laundry. He's the best.

Teek
02-14-2010, 10:28 PM
All I asked for was chocolate.

So he got me a lovely card, a single red rose, a bar of Nestle's BAKER'S chocolate (it was dark so he at least got that right). And he brought me fresh brewed coffee while I was still in bed.

I gave him a hand made card, a check for a grand to pay down his car (he makes 5 times what I do) AND took him to the movies.

And I hate Valentines Day. :p

Sambient
02-15-2010, 01:55 AM
Ah, since we're doing the what we gave part too, I was determined to spoil my husband this Valentines Day. See, he'd gone way over the top for Christmas. And though our lives have been experiencing some rough patches lately, we are celebrating being still very much in love after so many years. I wanted him to have something nice. And it was something he wasn't buying for himself but wanted. Most times we've been to 8th Street Music lately, he was picking up and playing this one particular Hagstrom Ultra Swede that was in the sale room.
So, I got it for him.
He didn't need it. Which, to me, makes it even better.
The way I look at it, to a musician, instruments or gear are like diamonds. Part of the appeal of diamonds is the value, and that if need be, a person could sell one in tough times. The sale price on this guitar was good enough that if he had to sell it in a pinch, it wouldn't be for a depreciated value.
We had a great Valentines Day. It was nice that I had the day off and we could spend it together. I wanted to go out for breakfast and for a movie. It was terrific.

He made the appropriate noise about my gift being over the top. But he's pretty damn happy with why I wanted him to have it.

mailman
02-15-2010, 03:01 AM
As for the "we gave" part.... I got her 13 long stemmed red roses (it was also our 13th wedding anniversary), a nice card, and took her out to dinner at our favorite restaurant. Today I'm taking her to the jewelry store to pick out a new white gold chain for her favorite pendant. The old sterling silver chains kept tarnishing and breaking.

Skitzic
02-15-2010, 03:57 AM
The purple Dolphin that he was kind enough to give me early, roses, my favorite chocolates, and a stuffed dog.

He's the awesomest!

RevWill
02-15-2010, 04:08 AM
Appetizers and wine with the girl of my dreams at the Pasta House.

Melissa82
02-15-2010, 04:57 AM
Oh that's great, congratulations! Birds have always been a big part of my life, from finches and a macaw when I was a kid to the two linnies I have now. I'm hoping to add a Pionus to my family soon. Have fun with your little one and post pictures when he/she comes home!!Thanks, I'm very excited! And believe me, their will be lots of pics and videos. This is my first parrot so I'm a little nervous, lol.

Now that is practical.

But... you don't drive, right?. The car needs to be driven twice a month to stay in good condition. I have a friend who drove it over for me. I also plan on driving soon so I need tires for that.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4055/4357462013_363ebb876c_m.jpg

Green-cheeks have their moments but they are much quieter than other conure species (like sun conures). Their call is truly ear-piercing, ouch!Green cheek conures are part of the genus: Pyrrhura. As stated, they are much quieter and don't scream like sun or jandye conures do. There is a chance it could be a little loud but nothing compared to a Sun conure. Believe me, I did my research. :D

luvdat
02-15-2010, 05:10 AM
It's fair to say that relative to a sun they are quiet, and it depends on the individual green cheek.

I opted for an English Budgie awhile back who talks: says his name "Mr. Chung," "Chungster," "What's up?" "What's the matter?" "I'm sorry." 3 years ago, I paid $59 for this handtamed bird.

Will post quality sound samples, LOL...no over the phone stuff...

Skitzic
02-15-2010, 05:19 AM
It's fair to say that relative to a sun they are quiet, and it depends on the individual green cheek.

I opted for an English Budgie awhile back who talks: says his name "Mr. Chung," "Chungster," "What's up?" "What's the matter?" "I'm sorry." 3 years ago, I paid $59 for this handtamed bird.

Will post quality sound samples, LOL...no over the phone stuff...

I'm not huge into birds, but that's an awesome deal right? Sometimes I look at birds when I'm in the pet store and the ones who can talk are SUPER expensive.

Melissa82
02-15-2010, 05:34 AM
I'm not huge into birds, but that's an awesome deal right? Sometimes I look at birds when I'm in the pet store and the ones who can talk are SUPER expensive.Pet store is not the best place to buy a bird. You always save a ton if you buy from a breeder.

luvdat
02-15-2010, 05:43 AM
Got Mr. Chung in a small Mom and Pop place that deals directly with a local breeder. Hand held and tame every day by a devoted employee.

salukulady
02-15-2010, 06:07 AM

So he got me a lovely card, a single red rose, a bar of Nestle's BAKER'S chocolate (it was dark so he at least got that right). And he brought me fresh brewed coffee while I was still in bed.

I gave him a hand made card, a check for a grand to pay down his car (he makes 5 times what I do) AND took him to the movies.

And I hate Valentines Day. :pI'm still laughing about the Bakers chocolate, that's too funny.

DogBisquit
02-15-2010, 07:27 AM
That proves what I've always said, "Valentine's Day is for the birds".

Don't mean to sound bitter. I didn't get to see my sweetheart this weekend... sniff, sniff.

Melissa82
02-15-2010, 07:29 AM
I'm still laughing about the Bakers chocolate, that's too funny.Lol, oh dear. But it's the thought that counts... right? ;)

Melissa82
02-15-2010, 07:30 AM
That proves what I've always said, "Valentine's Day is for the birds".

Don't mean to sound bitter. I didn't get to see my sweetheart this weekend... sniff, sniff.Didn't get to see mine either. :( Still have a looooooong way to go.

itsme
02-15-2010, 07:46 AM

So he got me a lovely card, a single red rose, a bar of Nestle's BAKER'S chocolate (it was dark so he at least got that right).
That is amazing. I'd think he'd have to go out of his way to even find baker's chocolate. :p

salukulady
02-15-2010, 08:07 AM
Lol, oh dear. But it's the thought that counts... right? ;)Yes, boys are cute when they're trying to be nice.

Skitzic
02-15-2010, 08:11 AM
That's why I told my guy a few days before Valentine's Day (because God forbid he actually does something before the last possible second) that if he chose to get me chocolate, which is completely unnecessary because he bought me the Dolphin, I want those Rocher balls or peanut M&Ms. I wouldn't put it past him to come back with baking chocolate...he's great but you really do have to spell everything out for him.

SailorQwest
02-15-2010, 08:29 AM
A round ceramic box with a pirate on the lid to put "treasure" in.

lonsilog
02-15-2010, 08:49 AM
What I gave... breakfast in bed, a day's pass to watch the olympics, no laundry-duty (I did the 6 loads), no toddler-duty (I watched our 3 year-old all day), and tickets to see Michael Buble in concert.

What I got... a Pono PKT-1.

I love my wife...

Teek
02-15-2010, 09:48 AM
That is amazing. I'd think he'd have to go out of his way to even find baker's chocolate. :p

I really believe he actually did go out of his way to find it, lol! It does say "Chocolatier - Decadent Dessert Baking Bar" and is actually quite a bit better than most 70+% bars which is good to know! And of course he did wait until Sunday morning.

He doesn't complain about my ukes. I have explained them in his currency which is motorcycles and bicycles, i.e.; if he could have a dual sport, dirt, supersport and cruiser in the garage, would he? Of course. And for the sopranos that would be bicycles= a downhiller, an electric, a road bike and a beach cruiser (he actually has a free ride and a beach cruiser and a hardtail mountain). Now he understands, and the ukes all fit in one small closet, while motos would take up the garage.

Teek
02-15-2010, 09:53 AM
And congrats to the new conure mom! My aunt had gray cheek conures and they are wonderful I had a yellow naped Amazon for 6 years and got allergic to her. I had to find her a new home and it about broke my heart. I was able to have canaries later and would love to have one now, but am living in close quarters to neighbors. They are also amazingly loud, I had two German Rollers, and the green had a stunning voice. They start singing at dawn! A few ounces of bird can be exceedingly loud. :D

Andruke
02-15-2010, 09:54 AM
About $500 of debt...and I didn't even get a uke out of it.

sukie
02-15-2010, 10:10 AM
Quite possibly the best treat was deach's valentine video. It was absolutely hilarious. The song was funny and the video was priceless. I even had to share it with Paul. There is nothing better than to be treated to a funny video. It will get my nomination for funniest video for the next Undies.