Soprano\tenor fingerboard width

Cpt_Droman

Reaction score
I'm currently learning on a Makala Soprano that i bought online and am seriously considering upgrading to some thing better and probably bigger. I used to play Bass guitar years ago and i'm used to having more space between the strings, i am struggling with the strings buzzing against my fingers on some chords.
Now, my question is this. if i go from a Soprano to a concert or tenor, is there much differnece in the width of the finger board? i.e. are the strings further spaced apart from each other on the finger board compared to a soprano? I'm aware the fingerboard will be longer but is it going to be much wider?
I rarely get a chance to get to my local music shop and they only have fender 'Ukes and mahalo sopranos so i may need to buy online and try one out on recomendation.
Any ideas if a concert or tenor will be easier for me?

I believe the fretboard width on the Fleas and Flukes are a bit wider than regular sizes, which makes them easier to play for some. I am not sure how much variation there is in other ukes of the same size.

It varies with different makers. I have a Melokia mahogany concert that has a wider fretboard than my Makala tenor, and I've tried a few in local shops with different width fretboards. I wish I could remember which ones! Sorry I seem to be having a senior moment.

Look for the "width at nut" number in the specs of whatever uke you are looking into... that should give you some idea. I like a bit wider neck on smaller ukes.

ican play E chords far easier on soprano's than tenor's, but concerts are pretty similar... i play guitars, and soprano's , so it doesn't make much difference to me.

I suppose if you want a really wide nut for a uke, you can get a classical guitar, switch over the nut and bridge to accept 4 strings.. and walla! A super-wide neck Ukulele!
If you get a quarter size guitar, you should be able to use strings for baritone uke, they have the same scale length of about 48cm

Otherwise... are there GCEA strings that would work on a bass guitar :p

Last edited:
Top Bottom