Why is the Ukulele being called the “Instrument of the 21st Century”

Ukuleleblues

Reaction score
In the Uke Quiz I asked, "Why is the Ukulele being called the “Instrument of the 21st Century” Here are all of the responses. What is your favorite answer? (I can't do a poll it only has 10 responses)

1. "Because it RULES!

2. Thanks for the fun quiz!"

3. Because it's just that awesome.

4. So many guitar players are growin' older.

5. Because it is the coolest instrument ever!

6. It is portable, affordable, easy to learn and fun.

7. Because people have finally realized its awesomeness and there has been an 'ukulele explosion!!! But really, players such as Jake Shimabukuro have made the uke popular, and it's easy to play whether you're just starting out or have been a musician for your entire life. It's also easy to travel with unlike some instruments that shall remain nameless.

8. because it's more popular than ever

9. 'cuz it should be!

10. Because some guy played a bad Beatles cover with it

11. No idea....

12. Because it is awesome and gaining respect among "respected" musicians.

13. Because it took 'til now for the rest of the world to catch up with what the ukulele intelligentsia knew all along.

14. It's inexpensive, relatively easy to learn, happy, and is getting the attention of musicians all over the world.

15. Because of its wide appeal to the next generation of musicians as well as to current players.

16. It's soaring popularity.

17. Besides a kazoo, it is the only one that is afforable. Obviously, I did not look these up.

18. Because the Theremin is too hard to play

19. I dont know

20. Because if question number 10 is true, then anything is possible. (10 was the George Bush question and it was True)

21. The reason why the Ukulele is being called the "Instrument of the 21st Century" is because it is played all over the world

22. cos of all the hot young things on you tube playing im yours covers

23. Because this is the 21st century

24. It's all we can afford because of the recession.

25. It is small, relatively easy to play, makes you smile and just plain good fun!

26. Because, as Jake Shimabukuro said it is "an instrument of peace"

27. cuz it is growing in popularity

28. its small and portable and affordable. Many band are introducing it in their lineup.

29. because it IS.

30. Well. 'Cause It Is. Also of the 20th Century. And the 19th. Sadly not of medieval times -- it didn't yet exist, which is why
Europeans call it the Dark Ages (that and the lack of coffee and chocolate, pepper and pasta, tobacco and tomatoes -- but wouldn't a sweet uke trill haven't alleviated all that grief?)

31. Julia Nunes.

32. It's gained massive popularity since the mid-2000s via television and, most especially, YouTube clips (e.g., Jake Shimabukuro's "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" vid and Aldrine's videos).

33. very popular, can't be unhappy playing the ukulele

34. Because of the gain in popularity starting in the early 21st century.

I like # 6.

15. Because of its wide appeal to the next generation of musicians as well as to current players.

that's got my vote!

#35. All the fun of a guitar and none of the ego that goes along with it!

Is it being called "the instrument of the 21st century?"

???

JJ

Hey sould sister by train, and trouble by nevershoutnever. these songs have had a huge impact on the teenage and tween age group

I consider it an instrument of the 19th century, that's when Hawaiians first adopted it thanks to the Merry Monarch King David Kalakaua popularizing it. The rest of the world taking it's sweet time catching up which is quite fine with me.

I consider it an instrument of the 19th century, that's when Hawaiians first adopted it thanks to the Merry Monarch King David Kalakaua popularizing it. The rest of the world taking it's sweet time catching up which is quite fine with me.

Pretty late 19th century. I imagine by 1899, it was still a fad localised to certain areas. (He said in fairly complete ignorance) Things moved so much slower then. Thank goodness. If only...

31...stuck out to me :D

She is rather cute. Oh yeah, and she plays the ukulele...can't forget that!

Pretty late 19th century. I imagine by 1899, it was still a fad localised to certain areas. (He said in fairly complete ignorance) Things moved so much slower then. Thank goodness. If only...

The whole Kingdom of Hawai'i was the whole world to most Hawaiians but yup, computers were primitive back then (slide rules, and abacus), and Al Gore not around yet to invent the internet. Wasn't until the 1915 Panama Pacific International Exhibition in San Francisco when Jonah Kumalae exposed the 'ukulele to the world, and the rest they say is history.

We still have 90 years to determine if the uke is the instrument of the 21st century, and I'm not going to give the first 9 years of the 21st century to the uke. I think it's definitely a hot instrument in 2009 - 2010. I would say that there is definitely a trend right now in adding some of the classic instrument sounds (ukulele, banjo, rhodes, hammond, steel guitar, sitar, clarinet, trombone, chimes, etc.) to modern music. I've heard uke in some new songs, but also some of the above instruments as well.

Top Bottom