PDA

View Full Version : Holy Crap, next month's contest....

rayan
02-15-2010, 12:51 PM
Holy crap guys, next month's contest prize is so ridiculously awesome, I just wanted to come into the forum and give everybody a heads up to start practicing a song, any song to enter. If you've been practicing one you think is really good, save it for the contest. You simply do NOT want to miss the chance to win this.

The prize is so awesome, most of the UU staff wants to enter, but we're all ineligible.

GrumpyCoyote
02-15-2010, 12:56 PM
Now that's a tease... Pokemon cards?

Melissa82
02-15-2010, 12:57 PM
The prize is so awesome, most of the UU staff wants to enter, but we're all ineligible.That is super lame. But I don't enter contests anyways, lol

rayan
02-15-2010, 01:00 PM
Now that's a tease... Pokemon cards?

I guess I can drop some hints.

1. It's not Pokemon Cards

rayan
02-15-2010, 01:01 PM
That is super lame. But I don't enter contests anyways, lol

I think the company sponsoring the contest is fine with mods entering. You guys do so much work for the online uke community wouldn't make sense for you guys to not have a shot.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
02-15-2010, 01:02 PM
Geez, another contest based on skill. That leaves me out again. How about a contest just based on someone's good looks?
As far as prizes go, I already got a box full of POGs.

rayan
02-15-2010, 01:05 PM
Geez, another contest based on skill. That leaves me out again. How about a contest just based on someone's good looks?

It's NOT going to be judged on skill. That is an important criteria for this contest sponsor. It will be judged on the performance that best exemplifies love and passion for the ukulele. Beginners have just as good a shot at winning as someone whos considered really good.

thejumpingflea
02-15-2010, 01:12 PM
What's the company? :D

russ_buss
02-15-2010, 01:33 PM
is the prize a date with Aaron?

(gonna practice til my fingers bleed)

dkcrown
02-15-2010, 01:48 PM
Wow, that's great that it's not going to be judged on skill. How about lack of skill? Then I would have to be one of the favorites! :)

ukulelearp
02-15-2010, 01:49 PM
It sounds like it'd be hard to judge passion, but sign me up anyway :D

mctrmt
02-15-2010, 01:56 PM

(gonna practice til my fingers bleed)

This would be the only thing better than Pokemon cards.

itsme
02-15-2010, 02:16 PM
That is super lame. But I don't enter contests anyways, lol
You never know. Think of it like the lottery... odds are you won't win, but someone's going to win. I won my uke in a drawing. :)

I think the company sponsoring the contest is fine with mods entering. You guys do so much work for the online uke community wouldn't make sense for you guys to not have a shot.
While I can appreciate that sentiment, if a mod were to win, I'm sure it would look suspect to some of the membership.

CoLmes
02-15-2010, 02:33 PM
Way to make march come faster Ryan... This snow is gonna seem like its going to be here fooooor evvvv errrr

lisaxy424
02-15-2010, 02:40 PM
This would be the only thing better than Pokemon cards.

How about Aaron HOLDING Pokemon cards...be still my heart ;)

rayan
02-15-2010, 02:47 PM
You never know. Think of it like the lottery... odds are you won't win, but someone's going to win. I won my uke in a drawing. :)

While I can appreciate that sentiment, if a mod were to win, I'm sure it would look suspect to some of the membership.

The people who would suspect us of cheating at anything really don't understand what we're about. We've been up for over 2 years, don't you think by now we would have done something shady if we had wanted to?

UKISOCIETY
02-15-2010, 02:50 PM
That's a coincidence, cause I was just practicing "I'm Yours" tonight!

Don't y'all have an Undies Awards ceremony to host soon?? ;)

itsme
02-15-2010, 03:04 PM
The people who would suspect us of cheating at anything really don't understand what we're about. We've been up for over 2 years, don't you think by now we would have done something shady if we had wanted to?
That's not what I meant at all. Even if the contest were judged by the sponsor instead of UU, who's to say they're not trying to cull some favors? I'm just saying it could look suspect to some.

The fairest way to judge a contest might be to have it by member vote. Maybe have the sponsor select the finalists. Then again, if it is the sponsor's contest, they should be able to choose whoever they want for the winner. :)

Melissa82
02-15-2010, 03:16 PM
That's not what I meant at all. Even if the contest were judged by the sponsor instead of UU, who's to say they're not trying to cull some favors? I'm just saying it could look suspect to some.

The fairest way to judge a contest might be to have it by member vote. Maybe have the sponsor select the finalists. Then again, if it is the sponsor's contest, they should be able to choose whoever they want for the winner. :)Um, as a mod, I have no idea what kind of favors i could offer anyone other than deleting threads and sending nasty PMs.... but I already do that...

bbycrts
02-15-2010, 03:25 PM
You say the prize is a Jake signature series Kamaka? No WAY! That is so cool! I am so down with that! *

*I have no knowledge of the prize - just trying to start rampant, irresponsible rumors.

dkcrown
02-15-2010, 03:40 PM
You say the prize is a Jake signature series Kamaka? No WAY! That is so cool! I am so down with that! *

*I have no knowledge of the prize - just trying to start rampant, irresponsible rumors.

LOL. I love irresponsible rumors

Ronnie Aloha
02-15-2010, 03:49 PM

Ryan, you guys could keep the uke for UU staff use and I would have no problems with that! You guys deserve it.

Ronnie Aloha
02-15-2010, 03:51 PM

Thanks for the donation Ke Leo!

Ronnie Aloha
02-15-2010, 03:53 PM

I'm holding out on any entry until Chuck sponsors a contest then I'm all in!

rayan
02-15-2010, 03:58 PM
How about a contest just based on someone's good looks?

We can do that for a future contest, make us a mirror ukulele to give away to the winner :P

whetu
02-15-2010, 04:18 PM

I heard it was an all expenses paid trip with Bosko and Honey on their next world tour. :drool:

jforrest
02-15-2010, 04:32 PM
No, dkcrown. You wouldn't have a chance if I enter a contest for lack of skill!

itsme
02-15-2010, 05:11 PM
Um, as a mod, I have no idea what kind of favors i could offer anyone other than deleting threads and sending nasty PMs.... but I already do that...
I am talking about the possibility of perhaps a sponsor expecting a better advertising rate or such, not anything done for them by an individual mod. Or if UU would turn their heads if said sponsor started "advertising" on the forums?

Look, I never said it would happen, just that perhaps some of us here might think it fishy if a mod wins a contest.

rayan
02-15-2010, 05:28 PM
I am talking about the possibility of perhaps a sponsor expecting a better advertising rate or such, not anything done for them by an individual mod. Or if UU would turn their heads if said sponsor started "advertising" on the forums?

Look, I never said it would happen, just that perhaps some of us here might think it fishy if a mod wins a contest.

fair enough, but let me set the record straight, we've been at this for over 2 years, none of that has ever happened and none of that will happen as long as we're in charge.

Melissa82
02-15-2010, 05:45 PM
Super buzz kill...

leftovermagic84
02-15-2010, 05:55 PM
...Or if UU would turn their heads if said sponsor started "advertising" on the forums?...
I love that we have reps from companies on the boards. Mike from Mainland, Ken Middleton from Ohana, and Paul from Koaloha are absolutely great resources for us, and its so great to me that they take the time to chat with us on the boards. For that matter, even MGM, even though he doesn't represent a specific line, is always here to answer questions. It's a mutually benificial relationship. These businesses profit from their time here, and we profit from their expertese at our disposal. I'd honestly like to see reps from more lines here with us.

austin1
02-15-2010, 06:00 PM
hints please! can we make this twenty questions? I'll start...Question1: Is the prize alive?

rayan
02-15-2010, 08:02 PM
Super buzz kill...

http://attrice.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/buzzkill.jpg for serial

ke leo
02-15-2010, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the donation Ke Leo!

I'm nice, but not that nice!!!

You're close though...

thejumpingflea
02-15-2010, 08:25 PM
I'm nice, but not that nice!!!

You're close though...

Oh it's your Kamaka Pineapple then?

Sweet! ;)

rayan
02-15-2010, 08:27 PM
http://attrice.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/buzzkill.jpg for serial

I will leak a hint if someone can identify this character

koalohapaul
02-15-2010, 08:33 PM
Crap. I know he's from Family Guy. I remember the scene, but can't remember the details.

lonsilog
02-15-2010, 09:07 PM

Buzz Killington, please! Give up the hint!!!

bbycrts
02-15-2010, 09:08 PM
Buzz Killington. Leak, Admin Boy.

bbycrts
02-15-2010, 09:09 PM
Buzz Killington. Leak, Admin Boy.
Or I'll start a rumor that Joe Souza is building another Mary Jane to give away just for this contest.

flea_bitten
02-15-2010, 10:02 PM

OK, so - a girl has gotta know - who's Aaron?

Aldrine Guerrero
02-16-2010, 12:54 AM

Seriously...? -_-

deach
02-16-2010, 01:39 AM

Can I guess? M-M?

Ronnie Aloha
02-16-2010, 04:40 AM
OK, so - a girl has gotta know - who's Aaron?

Aaron's the stud of UU!

salukulady
02-16-2010, 06:05 AM
Perhaps the role of a mod needs to be explained. Mods are no different than any of us. They are just wonderful volunteers who keep the peace. They are not paid or compensated in any way and donate their time. The only advantage they have over a regular poster is the ability to snipe a thread once in a while.

phanzo
02-16-2010, 06:13 AM
Super buzz kill...

Super buzz killington...

CoLmes
02-16-2010, 06:55 AM
Super buzz killington...

Super Duper buzz killington

ke leo
02-16-2010, 07:42 AM
Oh it's your Kamaka Pineapple then?

Sweet! ;)

LOL! I'm not that nice either!

Hint: It's not one of my ukes, but I want whatever it is...

haole
02-16-2010, 07:50 AM
A lifetime's supply of GHS strings? Count me in!

generem
02-16-2010, 07:53 AM

Itsme.. I think you might be alone on this one... This is a great community.. I'm 100% confident that this contest will be judged fairly.. whom ever is judging..

Cant wait to hear the details...

StereoJoker
02-16-2010, 08:03 AM
No, wait, wait, the prize is a date with Aaron and a jam on a Pikachu Sunday ukulele. (KoAloha could totally pull that one off, and it would rule.)

Ahnko Honu
02-16-2010, 08:21 AM
I case each of banana ketchup, and strawberry Pocky!

PandaLuver
02-16-2010, 01:46 PM
wow i cant wait to see wat it is
good luck to everyone

kevcamacho

PandaLuver
02-16-2010, 01:54 PM
heck yeah i was thinking the same thing

bbycrts
02-16-2010, 02:46 PM
I have to jump to Itsme's defense here - in NO WAY do I believe there would be ANY funny business with mods and contests...I love our mods. They're a great group. They have great integrity. Yay mods!

I would like to say that I don't believe that there are any regular contributors here in the UU who would have a problem with a mod winning. It is the single greatest online community on the entire planet, and if you've read enough of my posts you would see that I believe that with all my heart. Yay UU community!

However, what she brought up was appearances. And it was a legitimate concern. I could envision a time - as UU grows at an ever-increasing rate - where people who don't know the community as well or who aren't as touchy feely here as most of us may raise an eyebrow if a moderator was to win a contest. NO Impropriety. NO funny business - just that to someone who looks through the window from outside and doesn't know how this place is run might raise an eyebrow and be vocal. We have had negative, vocal people in here. I've seen a couple banned. It's not out of the question.

Do I think the mods should be banned from contests? Heck no! I know they're not compensated. I know that they don't have any advantages by their positions. I don't think Itsme meant ill will by her post - heck, I think she qualified it by saying she didn't have a problem with it. But in a litigious society, there are those who will raise a stink when they perceive injustice, whether there really is any or not.

It wouldn't be a bad idea with contests to clarify that because they receive no benefits, and have no influence or authority over the operation of UU as a business entity, moderators are free to participate in all the contests. Like I said - I don't have a problem, most people don't have a problem, maybe nobody at all who is a member today has a problem - but it wouldn't hurt to clarify just to head off any future issues...

rayan
02-16-2010, 03:03 PM
Buzz Killington is correct.

It's not a date with Aaron, though that can be arranged if wanted (must fly to Kauai to redeem)

Hint: It's an Ukulele, not only that, it will be the only one of its kind ever made.

Nichod
02-16-2010, 03:08 PM
A solid gold Ukulele!? With diamond accents!?

CoLmes
02-16-2010, 03:43 PM
Aldrines Uke!

WOO AWESOME PRIZE

haolejohn
02-16-2010, 03:48 PM
Aldrines Uke!

WOO AWESOME PRIZE

Or is it Jake's ukulele?

whetu
02-16-2010, 04:03 PM
A ukulele with a built in hipflask. Nothing like playing with a touch of whiskey fingers :)

itsme
02-16-2010, 04:07 PM
I have to jump to Itsme's defense here...
Thanks for your support, bbycrts. :) I think you understood my intent and obviously expressed it more eloquently than I did because it seems I ruffled a few feathers, which I really didn't mean to do.

I admin/mod a forum considerably larger than UU but similar in that it has a main site with paid employees, while the forums are staffed by strictly volunteers. I know what a thankless job it can be and how much effort it can take. I fully appreciate the efforts of all the mods here in making and keeping UU the type of place I enjoy visiting. :cool:

If "my" forum were to have a contest to give away, say, an expensive piece of computer hardware, and a mod or admin were to win (even if they're not a paid employee of the main site), I'm sure there'd be people screaming bloody murder about the contest being "rigged".

Ser-T-Fide
02-16-2010, 04:09 PM
Its either Chuck or Pete who's being very nice.

3nails4holes
02-16-2010, 04:09 PM
mod talk notwithstanding...

:deadhorse:

i'm seriously looking forward to finding out what we could win & what we have to do!! consider me officially whipped into a uke frenzy!

my mind is swimming with the possibilities. a moore bettah custom? some creation from the very hands of papa koaloha?

and skill-set isn't a requirement?!? but passion is? i'm gonna bring it!!!

:shaka:

sukie
02-16-2010, 04:45 PM
Would Aaron go on a date with a married woman? Just askin'. If not, why should I enter? jk......Maybe we could call it just hanging with Aaron? I'd hate to get in trouble at home.

Sorry, too much wine tonight.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
02-16-2010, 04:48 PM
Its either Chuck or Pete who's being very nice.

Well it ain't me. I'm just not that nice. Pete on the other hand has been acting very generously lately!

salukulady
02-16-2010, 05:46 PM
Would Aaron go on a date with a married woman? Just askin'. If not, why should I enter? jk......Maybe we could call it just hanging with Aaron? I'd hate to get in trouble at home.

Sorry, too much wine tonight.Maybe we could do a duet, Sukie, then when we win the date with Aaron we'd both have a chaperone....each other. Heck, who wouldn't want a date with Thelma and Louise?

haolejohn
02-16-2010, 06:39 PM
Maybe we could do a duet, Sukie, then when we win the date with Aaron we'd both have a chaperone....each other. Heck, who wouldn't want a date with Thelma and Louise?

Me...But that is only because I'm married to my wife (I know that sounds cheesey but she is my blessing), otherwise I'd be first in line for the Thelma and Louise date-a-thon.

bbycrts
02-16-2010, 07:34 PM

Sorry, too much wine tonight.

Would Aaron go on a date with a married man? I mean, I'm not into the "date" part of it...but I'll take the trip to Kauai! (And I haven't had ANY wine tonight!)

ogikloavailable
02-16-2010, 07:37 PM
Yeah cool awesome.

haole
02-17-2010, 05:15 AM
Hint: It's an Ukulele, not only that, it will be the only one of its kind ever made.

I knew it'd be the Makala Octopus.