Martin concert early 50s

Thanks, now I'll never get it for a decent price now that more people have seen it.

Thanks, now I'll never get it for a decent price now that more people have seen it.

Hey Pete, this was already sold when I posted about it. Evidently, the BIN price was a decent price for someone. :)

A vintage Martin concert....my dream uke! Does anyone know if it was available in different styles, like the soprano was? I'd settle for a style O, no doubt, but were there fancier ones? Style 1, or others?

A vintage Martin concert....my dream uke! Does anyone know if it was available in different styles, like the soprano was? I'd settle for a style O, no doubt, but were there fancier ones? Style 1, or others?

Isn't this one a style 1? It has binding.

I am NO expert on Martin but so far, I have only seen concerts in style 1. I had the privilige of cleaning up and restringing a friends recently, just a beautiful instrument.

Wow. Great price. I think only Style 1's were made in Mahogany and Koa models. I heard that the size was based on the size of the Martin taropatch and that some people were cutting down the headstock on taropatches, putting in a new nut and making a slightly larger than soprano uke. So Martin started offering this size. Other companies like Harmony were making what they called tenor ukes, like the Johnny Marvin. But these were actually closer to a concert size.

Great information! Anyone know the time frame for availability of a Martin concert uke? When did production start and end?

Not sure when they started making them but there are headstock back stamped bar fret versions. So late 20's would be my guess. They made them until the early 60's. After 62 or 63 they had "made in U.S.A. added to the inside stamp.

According to Gruhn's Guide to Vintage Guitars, the Martin Style 1 concert ukulele was introduced in 1925 and was last listed in their catalog in 1965. Concerts only came in Style 1. It had the same body as the taropatch.

According to Gruhn's Guide to Vintage Guitars, the Martin Style 1 concert ukulele was introduced in 1925 and was last listed in their catalog in 1965. Concerts only came in Style 1. It had the same body as the taropatch.

Thanks, WhenDogsSing! That's exactly what I wanted to know. I was completely unaware of that resource. Do they mention production figures - quantities built?

Now if only they weren't so darned expensive....

I found this last night while researching dates for style 0 soprano. The middle one is a style 2K concert. The three on the right are 5K's. soprano , tenor and baritone.
For what the 5K sopranos sell for, you'd have to refinance your house to get a baritone, IF you ever see one !

The picture is credited to the Tsumura collection.

Attachments

• clip_image002.jpg
    clip_image002.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Martin Tenor is the 1 I dream about late at night though a concert would be juuuuuuuust fiiiiiiiiinnnnne!

Top Bottom