PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever used a Tone Guard?

SweetWaterBlue
02-16-2010, 01:48 AM
I saw this vintage Martin on eBay today with an interesting device called a Tone Guard attached. I wondered if anyone has ever used one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/C-F-Martin-Style-O-Ukulele-Uke-C-1947_W0QQitemZ300397710465QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item45f1194c81

psesinkclee
02-16-2010, 02:58 AM
I like the idea behind it! keeps the back of the uke off your body while playing and would probably produce a different sound. :)

deach
02-16-2010, 03:08 AM
There was a thread on here about a week ago. A guy used some spare wood and attached it to the bottom of his uke and the heel for the same effect. I'll post a link if I can find it.

buddhuu
02-16-2010, 03:51 AM
I have a Tone-Gard on my mandolin. It is a brilliant product, absolutely excellent. Developed by Tony Pires.

I got mine from Gene Rubin Audio. Gene is a great guy to deal with. The first one he sent me got lost in transit. As soon as I told him it hadn't arrived he sent another without question. Very helpful.

Highly recommended.

On mandolin the Tone-Gard makes a very significant difference to the tone, volume and projection of my instrument. I expect it should make some difference to an 'ukulele as well.

NFI.

kissing
02-16-2010, 04:37 AM
Yes! I must get one for my Eleuke

buddhuu
02-16-2010, 04:47 AM
Yes! I must get one for my Eleuke
I think I see what you did there... ;)

Ukeffect
02-16-2010, 09:34 AM
Instead of steel, why couldn't it be made with modern light weight materials i.e. polymer, or light metals to keep the "bulk" of the ukulele manageable....hmmm, might be a market here...hmmm!?!:shaka:

Brewerpaul
02-16-2010, 10:59 AM
If you're sitting, try simply holding the instrument a bit away from your body to get an idea how this might work. It does make a pretty big difference on my mandolin and ukes, but I haven't wanted to shell out the $$ for one.

OK, I just looked at the Tone Gard site again and at the list of mando players using and recommending this device. I may just have to splurge...