Anyone ever used a Tone Guard?

I like the idea behind it! keeps the back of the uke off your body while playing and would probably produce a different sound. :)

There was a thread on here about a week ago. A guy used some spare wood and attached it to the bottom of his uke and the heel for the same effect. I'll post a link if I can find it.

I have a Tone-Gard on my mandolin. It is a brilliant product, absolutely excellent. Developed by Tony Pires.

I got mine from Gene Rubin Audio. Gene is a great guy to deal with. The first one he sent me got lost in transit. As soon as I told him it hadn't arrived he sent another without question. Very helpful.

Highly recommended.

On mandolin the Tone-Gard makes a very significant difference to the tone, volume and projection of my instrument. I expect it should make some difference to an 'ukulele as well.

NFI.

Instead of steel, why couldn't it be made with modern light weight materials i.e. polymer, or light metals to keep the "bulk" of the ukulele manageable....hmmm, might be a market here...hmmm!?!:shaka:

If you're sitting, try simply holding the instrument a bit away from your body to get an idea how this might work. It does make a pretty big difference on my mandolin and ukes, but I haven't wanted to shell out the $$ for one.

OK, I just looked at the Tone Gard site again and at the list of mando players using and recommending this device. I may just have to splurge...

Last edited:
Top Bottom