Headed to the Big Island. Questions?

Moore Bettah not to far from Pahoa Town on the Hilo side.

I should add that he is a member here and makes some of the best looking 'ukuleles on the planet.

Last edited:
Hilo Guitars. Best shop on the island in my opinion. They have a whole wall of 'ukuleles and Brian is a super cool guy. I got my Kamaka there. Every time I go to Hilo it's always "hey dad, can you drop me off at Hilo Guitars?". Beyond that I've heard good things about Kiernan Music up the hill from Kona in Kainaliu (they have one of Santana's first guitars). Waimea Music Exchange has got a big selection of books and is a decent shop.

Be sure to go to Jack Knight's jam if you like that kind of thing. Wednesdays from 6pm-8pm at the Keauhou Shopping Center south of Kona town. Good fun. They play mostly out of He Mele Aloha.

The Waikoloa 'Ukulele Fest is worth planning your trip around. I haven't heard much about it this year - it is happening though, but in the past I've seen Ohta-san, Raiatea Helm, Holunape, Manoa DNA, Brittni Paiva, Troy Fernandez, and more. Really the cream of the crop as far as artists go. They do giveaways and stuff too. http://www.ukulelefestivalhawaii.org/en/waikoloa.htm. Feel free to PM me if you have some specific questions you want answered.

Moore Bettah not to far from Pahoa Town on the Hilo side.

I should add that he is a member here and makes some of the best looking 'ukuleles on the planet.

Some of? Chuck's work is, in my opinion, THE most gorgeous lutherie there is. Hands down. Period. I have dreams about Moore Bettah ukes...

Awesome help everyone! As far as Moore Bettah's place, is he open all day to walk in and check out? Or should I talk with him ahead of time?

Probably preaching to the choir here, but the Kamaka factory in Honolulu is a must see. Been there twice in the past year.

From Chuck's website:

And finally, if you live in Hawaii or plan on vacationing here, you are welcomed to visit my shop. I try to keep something on hand at all times. Call ahead for directions and availability of instruments.

Chuck likes you to call first based on his website information. I think it gives him time to put some pants on...

Chuck likes you to call first based on his website information. I think it gives him time to put some pants on...

Hah! Busted!

Yep, anyone interested in visiting should just drop me an email. I keep a computer in the shop and Internet communications are much more reliable in my part of the jungle than cell phones are.

Curious, the Hawaii Visitors Bureau must be doing a hard sell in Alaska lately. I've had a hand full of inquiries and two visitors from Alaska this past week.

BTW, you shouldn't miss the tiny Ukulele Gallery in the town of Holoalua, near Kona. Only hand made ukuleles will be found there, from amateur to professionally built. Sam Rosen, the owner, is a builder himself and is a wealth of information. He usually has his pants on but you may want to call first since his hours vary.

Last edited:
Thanks Chuck. Your website and ukes look great. I'll try and make some time to come check out your shop later this week.

Any ukulele sights and shops on the Kona side?

Any ukulele sights and shops on the Kona side?

Yes. Kiernan Music is great (http://www.kiernanmusic.com/). I just went in there a few days ago and was impressed. Brian is super nice.

Just Ukes across the street has Kala and Lanikai, but not a lot else. Worth a look though. There is a new Just Ukes in the Kona Village.

Soundwave and Music Exchange are good, but more guitar-oriented.

Aloha Brad, pass the family my fondest of Alohas.

Top Bottom