Would applying an external transducer on an unlaminated body with glu tac do harm?

happyslappysoong

Reaction score
Hi guys. Im not sure if this is the right sub forum and i know this is an odd question..but ive just bought an external oyster style transducer made by Schaller (http://schaller-electronic.com/hp14979/10-84.htm?ITServ=CY442f06d0X126caae7dadXY70f) which can be applied permenantly or temporarily with this adhesive 'gum'(included) which feels and looks like glu tac.

My ukulele is unlaminated with a mahogany body. My question is - will sticking this stuff onto the body of the ukulele for jams and performances mess with the wood?

I obviously couldnt get a transducer that is applied with a suction cap cos the uke body is unlaminated and wouldnt stick.

Thanks in advance
Daniel

What do you mean the uke is unlaminated. It sounds like you want to say there's no finish on it. If so, why not?

Anyway, careful with adhesive gum - it will go into the grain (if unfinished or unevenly finished) or even into the little tiny cracks in the finish and it won't (or may not) come out. Really tenacious stuff.

Last edited:
Theres no finish on it, i.e you can feel the grain. Thats just the way the model came.

Its this uke
56371.jpg

Im not sure if it helps at all..thanks for the advise. whats my best bet for attaching the transducer?

Last edited:
We've done it several different ways.

One is to use a piezo that clips on at the sound hole - we have two of these, one for uke and one for guitar.

Another way is to put a transparent decal on the spot where you want the piezo to go and then stick the piezo onto the decal using adhesive gum. In other words, the decal stays on and you stick the piezo/gum onto it when you need it. Even a bit of transparent tape will do, but you don't want to leave that on all the time - firstly because it would look kinda "garage" (if you know what I mean), and secondly because the tape adhesive might actually damage whatever finish is on there if you left it too long.

Hope this helps,
Erich

One is to use a piezo that clips on at the sound hole - we have two of these, one for uke and one for guitar.

Another way is to put a transparent decal on the spot where you want the piezo to go and then stick the piezo onto the decal using adhesive gum. In other words, the decal stays on and you stick the piezo/gum onto it when you need it. Even a bit of transparent tape will do, but you don't want to leave that on all the time - firstly because it would look kinda "garage" (if you know what I mean), and secondly because the tape adhesive might actually damage whatever finish is on there if you left it too long.

Hope this helps,
Erich

thats a great idea. I might use some masking tape or something. Might look really bad and cheap, but might save my uke in the long term...

I don't think the connection with masking tape would be hot enough on the adhesive side and it certainly wouldn't look as good. Try some clear transparent scotch tape and see how you fare. If all is well, no one will ever notice the patch underneath the pickup. This is at least a good way to get started and you can try different positions to find out where the "hot spot" is. At some point you may want to put a small decal on there.

Hope this helps,
Erich

Is there a model or brand of this soundhole clip on piezo ,, that you would recommend to me?
Ive tried a tacky stick on deal before & didnt work ,or sound good.
Thanks
Steve

I bought a dean markley stick on pickup for a mountain dulcimer of mine...it sounded fine, but I hate the "gum"! Eric is right, it will not only work into your grain but is really stubborn to clean off. Aside from that, it isnt always a very reliable method for staying on there.

In retrospect, I'd like to set it on fire! It's just a 25 cent piezo with a shielded cable stuck in a cute wood enclosure! I could have done that with $5 and scrap wood!
I think you may have been better off making your own pickup for $5 and paying someone $15 to install it.

That being said, I really like your uke...and love the ornate back on those tuners. good luck

I don't think the connection with masking tape would be hot enough on the adhesive side and it certainly wouldn't look as good. Try some clear transparent scotch tape and see how you fare. If all is well, no one will ever notice the patch underneath the pickup. This is at least a good way to get started and you can try different positions to find out where the "hot spot" is. At some point you may want to put a small decal on there.

Scotch tape sounds much wiser and cleaner. Still a cheapy-not-really-solution, but ill try it. My best bet probably!

Top Bottom