piezo transducer pickups, where/how to install them

pie_man_25

Reaction score
okay, this is a situation quite similar to slaphappy's, I have a cigar box uke, that I have spent all of the last week painting. I've signed up for my school's talent show. Thing is, I have a problem with stage fright, at least when it's just me and sally (my uke), so I decided to go to a coffee lounge for an open-mic. night, but have actually found that using the mic. was kind of a bad thing, because when it was too close, my hand would knock the thing, and when it was too far away, you couldn't hear it, so it kinda sucked. So I'm going to install a piezo transducer pickup, I just want to know where I can get a cheap one, and how exactly I should install it. I would post pics, but unfortunately we don't really have a working digital camera.

http://www.wsukes.com/electric/electric.html

super easy...real inexpensive and very functional. I recommend putting it under the 3rd string C beneath the bridge, and its easy enough to use super glue. I actually remove the piezo from the black casing, but do as you like.

I've actually got the piezo right now. I've removed the black casing, and there's some electronics on it, it's simple stuff really, just an oscillator, since the thing is meant to be a buzzer, I'm just wondering, this piezo itself has three leads, but input (or output, depending how you look at it) has twio, do you find that yours are like this cornfed? should I just use it with the oscillator, or should I take it off?

Connect the red wire (its on the silver disc) to the OUTSIDE ring on the jack. Solder the black wire (connected to gold disc) to the INSIDE ring.

dont overcomplicate it if it looks different than you anticipated.

I bought about 50 in bulk while back...they have 3 leads attached to back side of the casing and prongs coming outside. I just rip em off and solder a new wire to the inside film and one to outer portion of the ring.

oh, okay, thanks a lot cornfed! I think I'll just rip the three leads off the piezo, and just put two wires onto it, one onto the outer ring and the other onto the inner insulated portion, like you're saying, thanks a lot, you saved me ten bucks!;)

Top Bottom