Low-g soprano vs. tenor

afeistyfiesta

Reaction score
So I know there have been multiple threads about low-g tuning and about how the low g string dominates the sound on a tenor uke...my question is this - would a low g string on my long neck soprano sound better or would it not be worth my time?

You just need to try it and see if it the sound you are looking for. It seems to me what sounds good is subjective.
If you like it, it is perfect.
I really like low g on my super concert.

I use non-wound low G strings, and I think that makes a difference. But even at that, eventually, with practice, you can lighten your touch when you play the low g to even out the tone. I have my long neck soprano strung with low g right now, and it sounds pretty good. I think the longer tenor scale sounds better on the low g string, but the concert length can work too. I know that some people have even strung a soprano in low g, with success. But, in my experience, the thickness verses length-of-string ratio is not favorable, and that can result in a "dead" sounding tone. You can get low g strings by themselves (a package of 4) at Ukulele World.
http://www.ukuleleworld.com/product.php?productid=19567&cat=0&page=1
http://www.ukuleleworld.com/product.php?productid=19570&cat=0&page=1
http://www.ukuleleworld.com/worth-tenor-low-g-4th-string-only-4-variations-available.html
–Lori

You just need to try it and see if it the sound you are looking for. It seems to me what sounds good is subjective.
If you like it, it is perfect. [...]
Yup. That's about the size of it.

I figured I'd just need to try it...I was just curious if anyone else had tried it because of the fact that nylon strings take SOOOOOOO Long to stretch out...haha...thanks guys...all very helpful.

Somewhere along the way, I recall reading an explanation of why low G will not really work on a soprano. I believe the soundbox is too small to resonate at the fundamental frequency.

I just played a bunch of soprano's with Low-G in Kauai on vacation and it works pretty well. I actually prefer the Flea with the Low G. Sounds pretty darn good! I played a Kamaka and a Koaloha soprano's in LowG and it was pretty good but nota good as the flea. Anyway, Low G seems to be the string of choice for soprano's on my trip.

Does anyone have any vidoes, sound clips, pictures, or good information about low g's on sopranos?

It's kind of rare, and I've been curious about the sound.

I would NEVER have considered putting a low g string on soprano but I purchased a used FLEA from Craigslist and it was already strung low g with Worth Clears and it sounded great so I kept them on. I'm not switching my other sopranos to low g but I like this option on sound.

My local music stores don't sell much ukulele products. (I live in Mainland).And I can't purchase anything online.

Would it work if I took a C string I have lying around and use it for a low-G?

If not, what kind of classical guitar strings would I need?

Top Bottom