Soprano Dilema - Swap for a Tenor? (Ohana SK25)

mcnilly

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I recently bought a Ohana Sk-25 (2 days ago in fact) and so far im regretting the purchase. I bought it from the southern ukulele shop so they might take it back if i give them a ring. The problem i find is that I do not find it anywhere near as nice sounding as my ohana CK35 (this is probably about 3 months old now), Currently i have Ko'olau strings (i've had aquilas on it for all of yesterday and most of today) i find that it doesn't resonate very well with either sets of strings and the sound has very little mid range, i can only really hear the lows and the highs, none of the mids.
What i find i like about the concert is the clarity and full body of the tone also i like the sustain. I like the soprano for its easy playability (i find it much easier finger picking on this uke) I find my fingers do struggle at times when using the concert. I'm just wondering whether i have been too harsh on the soprano and i should give it time and a set of brown worths to improve in tone or is this just how sopranos play?
The way i see it is:
1 - Keep the soprano
2 - Sell/Swap the soprano for a tenor
3 - Sell/Swap the soprano buy the SK35G (i went for the 25 because it was marginally cheaper and is simpler in design) or will i just be face with the same sound as this one?

If anyone has any comments on this topic i'd be very grateful if you could share them, Also anyone who has played both the SK25 and 35 i would like to hear how you found the 2 compare, i cant see to find anything on the internet about the 2!

Thanks,
Will

Perhaps Ken Middleton will weigh in. In his YouTube review of 6 Ohana sopranos, I got the impression that he thought the SK-35 and SK-25s had similar sound, with the main difference being the binding and upgraded tuners and rosewood plate on the 35. I am sure Ken will give you an honest answer if you shoot him an email.

My Kala tenor has a far more mellow sound than most sopranos I have played, with more sustain and volume. Most people would probably classify my tenors' sound as more "beautiful". Perhaps that is because most are used to hearing guitar instrumentals. On the other hand, it is hard to deny that Middleton, Casserole45, and others memorializing their work on YouTube, are picking out some pretty beautiful music on the SK-35s Kiwayas, etc. I prefer the bark and punch of the sopranos better for playing traditional ukulele music and the tenor for ballads or fingerpicking modern melodies. In other words, it just depends on what you like more and what kind of music you want to play.

Last edited:
Hi SweetWaterBlue, Thanks for the quick reply, I had forgotten about that video, i shall go take a look at it now and compare the differences. I don't find that this uke even has much of a bark its just a bit feeble when strummed compared to my concert which totally drowns the sound of it out. I had a look at the top inside the sound hole and it seems a fair bit thicker than my concert which is why i think it sounds so . . . dull

I did an Audacity sound analysis on the SK-35 and SK-25 in that video, and surprisingly the SK-25 actually came out a bit louder. I believe it was mostly attributable to the way Ken was strumming them though, since a Spanish video comparison of the SK-35 and SK-25s gave them about the same volume and spectrum Here.

I spent too many hours studying these two in my quest for an affordable mahogany soprano before I decided that the binding, upgraded tuners, and rosewood faceplate was worth it to me, but since I found a used SK-35g that sort of convinced my Scottish genes to go with it. I believe the sound is probably the same, so if you don't care for the sound of the 25, the 35 will probably not be that much of an upgrade for you.

Last edited:
How do you find the Sk35, do you have any other ukes to compare it to? And blimey thats a lot of work to chose a soprano.

Last edited:
How do you find the Sk35, do you have any other ukes to compare it to? And blimey thats a lot of work to chose a soprano.

Do you mean find it physically, or on YouTube?

MGM has 4 SK-35s on eBay right now, and here are two playlists with lots of 35 playing:

http://www.youtube.com/my_playlists?pi=0&ps=20&sf=&sa=0&dm=0&p=0AF0F09F44822849#

http://www.youtube.com/my_playlists?pi=0&ps=20&sa=0&dm=0&p=6646E55DDB11C229#

Engineers are very anal that way, so blame it on my schooling.

Last edited:
I mean Physically, how do you find it comparse to other ukes you have played?
Engineers are good people :) I intend to be one when i'm older!

EDIT - By the way the playlists didn't work

Last edited:
I mean Physically, how do you find it comparse to other ukes you have played?
Engineers are good people :) I intend to be one when i'm older!

LOL. Well its quite a bit smaller than my tenor, so its a bit harder to hold. Some things are harder to play on a small fretboard if you have stubby fingers, and some things are easier. I'm lucky that I live near the SEUkers and get to play a lot of ukes every other week, but you can also go to some place like Sam Ash with the "Come in and Play Awhile" sign on the door and try out various sizes. I also used my Makala dolphin as a soprano test-bed to see how I liked the fit of a soprano.

Last edited:
How does it sound compared to other ukes?

How does it sound compared to other ukes?

It is not as "bright" as the Jenny. It has the punch of the Sopranino, only as a big brother :). It is a similar sound to the Mainland, because it is probably same factory. I'm not sure the SK25 is an all mahogany instrument. The SK35 is, and I think it is a "new classic." I adore mine.

EDIT: SK25 is all mahogany. Just checked.

Last edited:
I'm looking at these soprano ukes at the moment.

Have you considered the Ohana Zebra wood? From youtube videos it has a bit of a different sound then the mahogany ones.

I have looked at this discussion with interest. Let me make a few comments.

The Sk25 and SK35 are very similar instruments. Both are solid and use the same construction and grade of mahogany. The 35 series have rosewood binding and some purfling which makes them look prettier. They also have Gotoh friction tuners. They should sound very similar. Remember though, some instrument take a little longer to play in. There are always differences between individual instruments.

Remember too that there is a big difference in sound between any concert and a similar looking soprano instrument. The concert has a much bigger body and tighter, thicker strings. All sopranos have slightly floppy feeling strings unless you tune them up a little e.g. D tuning.

Strings make a big difference. I personally tend to only use Worth or Aquila (sometimes D'Addario).

If you struggle with a concert, then a tenor is probably not for you.

Your probably right, I just love the rich sound they have!

I'm looking at these soprano ukes at the moment.

Have you considered the Ohana Zebra wood? From youtube videos it has a bit of a different sound then the mahogany ones.

I love the sound mahoganny gives, so im pretty sure its not the sound.

I have looked at this discussion with interest. Let me make a few comments.

The Sk25 and SK35 are very similar instruments. Both are solid and use the same construction and grade of mahogany. The 35 series have rosewood binding and some purfling which makes them look prettier. They also have Gotoh friction tuners. They should sound very similar. Remember though, some instrument take a little longer to play in. There are always differences between individual instruments.

Remember too that there is a big difference in sound between any concert and a similar looking soprano instrument. The concert has a much bigger body and tighter, thicker strings. All sopranos have slightly floppy feeling strings unless you tune them up a little e.g. D tuning.

Strings make a big difference. I personally tend to only use Worth or Aquila (sometimes D'Addario).

KEN

Hi Ken, Thanks for reply, In all fairness I think i am being a bit to harsh on it as it does seem very 'closed up' I think i'll keep it for a few months and if i still don't like it then i will sell it on!
Thanks for all the comments guys, they have been extremely helpful!

Dont sell it. I have only had a few ukes, bBut I sold them and regret selling almost every one. a natural fluke , a mango flea , and a used black tenor fluke a guy had put silver paint to make the frets more visable. Also my Kala st. wish I still had them all,,, but I sold them to finance something else.
keep your soprano, or you will wish you had someday.
Steve

Top Bottom