Saddle Rattling (Ohana SK20)

mcnilly

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I thought this would be the most appropriate place to ask, Im having a bit of trouble with my new uke (same problem with my CK-35) I find the on some frets the bridge or saddle (pretty sure its the saddle) rattles, particularly on the E and C strings. Any ideas on how i can go about fixing this problem? Think its worth taking it into my local music shop and getting it setup correctly?

Will

Just a few thoughts, starting with the simplest (kinda like asking, is it plugged in?): are you sure it's the saddle? Normally when I hear buzzing, it's because I'm not fretting properly, or I stood too close to the stack at the Metallica concert. If you're sure it's the saddle, does it have a proper crown running the length of it (rounded top). Is the saddle loose in its slot, or is any part of the bridge loose?

I'm about 90% sure its the saddle or definately at least in that general area. I'm not sure whether the saddle is loose or not (I had the same problem with my CK35 so i made a new saddle, now i just need to sort out the action on that as its pretty high. . .) I will probably check that tomorrow. As far as i can see the bridge is not loose in anyway . . . Just checked it now, Restrung the E string as it pinged off! I took the saddle to some 1200 Grit wet and dray and cleaned it up a little, there was a very small bump on the underneath. It wasn't loose but it did come out of its slot without much effort on my part. No Buzzing at the moment and cleaning the crown up has made it sound a lot cleaner

Thanks Matt, That been very helpful!

Will

Rattles travel like water leaks. I have seen guitars and ukuleles with a loose tuner rattling that you would swear came from the saddle.
I had a loose plugin end pin that I searched all over the guitar for the source of the rattle.
Good luck in your search for the source.

Yep I checked that out first before posting here. Very good website!

Top Bottom