Can you string a guitar like a bass?

didgeridoo2

Reaction score
Hey there. I have an acoustic guitar that I just don't play and I have been curious about learning a little bass but don't want to shell out any dough for one. Is it possible to string a guitar like a bass? Perhaps even just use 4 strings? Anyone ever try this or see this?

The lowest 4 strings on the guitar are the same tuning as a bass, only a different octave. I've played the bass line for a number of different projects and bands on my electric guitar with the bass end turned way up on the amp.

However, the main difference is not in the notes... it's in technique and style, in playing thick strings with wide fret spacing, and learning to move between notes with a minimum of string noise. It's hard to mimic a true bass technique on a guitar. About the best you can learn is notes and progressions, which for some applications and starting out, is probably just fine. I'd leave all 6 strings on, though, to keep the tension on the bridge even. You could even tape down the two high strings with that blue painters masking tape (it doesn't leave a residue like regular masking tape.

...like a Baritone guitar?

I have been a flatwound only player since I started playing, mostly because of the comfort and tone. I got some coated rounds for my fretless and really like them.The electric bass is similar in appearance and construction of an electric guitar, but with a longer neck and scale length, and four, five or six strings, which are most often granted to the same height as the low.

Top Bottom