What wood would?

Ron

Reaction score
Because every guitar geek I meet is an "expert" I've gotten confused and haven't been able to find a definitive answer:
I have a
Kala KA-T- all laminated wood? Mahogany
and a
Lanikai LU-21TE - Solid top, laminated sides and back? Nato (which BTW is cut the in a very pretty way so the grain meanders across the wood. Very pretty)

I don't understand the question

I believe your Kala tenor is a laminate. In its promotional materials, Kala seems to always use the word "solid" before the name of the wood to denote that the wood is not a laminate. Kala's solid wood mahogany tenor is called KA-SMHT and is described as being "all solid wood mahogany."
http://kalaukulele.com/Kala%20Ukulele%20All%20Solid%20Mahogany.html

I don't know anything about Lanikai ukuleles.

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Hmmmmm. a good question, There's nothing wrong with a well made laminated uke, a good laminate beats a poorly made solid hands down, BUT a well made solid wood will sound better than a laminate, because the wood rings truer, just by the way a laminate is made...it will dampen the sound a bit...(unless the wood underneath and the veneer are lined up precisely) either way, just pick your uke on the sound and teh feel when you play it. Also, one of your ukes has a solid top and laminatesd sides and back, which I find is the next best to having a really nicely made all solid uke. Having gone through all that, the ukes you have are decent, and well made... so enjoy them and tell your guitar snobs to get a life!

I was obvious being too clever for my own good
(Thanks MDS725 - you've answered half of my badly phrased question)
My question should have been:
I have a
Kala KA-T (mahogany) - is that instrument all laminated wood? (Answered by mds 725 above - thanks)
and a
Lanikai LU-21TE (Nato [eastern mahogany]) is that instrument likely to be solid top, laminated sides and back?
I just keep getting conflicting answers and can't find the details in any sales pitch online

A woodchuck would chuck all the wood he could if a woodchuck could chuck wood.

Email the companies themselves, I've always had good responses and you can't get truer info than the people who make them.

If a woodchuck chucked too much wood, the woodchuck would probably upchuck wood. And nobody wants to see that happen.

My understanding is the LU-21 series ukes are laminated Nato top, back and sides. But emailing Lanikai would get you the best answer.

Top Bottom