PDA

View Full Version : Getting my KoAlana 'Ukulele from KoAloha today!

hawaiianmusiclover06
02-18-2010, 11:11 AM
I just wanted to say that UAS got to me. I am getting excited because I am getting my KoAlana 'Ukulele from KoAloha Ukulele today! I can't wait! Will post pictures up when I get it. Sorry for the rant! I am still excited!!!!! HOORAY!

Lori
02-18-2010, 11:18 AM
Congrats on the new uke. Can't wait to see the photos! I love seeing people's new ukes!

–Lori

mailman
02-18-2010, 11:21 AM
What size? Details! Details! Give 'em up....

sukie
02-18-2010, 11:22 AM
Congrats! Nothing like new uke day. I'll be interested in reading a review.

hawaiianmusiclover06
02-18-2010, 11:25 AM
What size? Details! Details! Give 'em up....

All right... here's the details

My KoAlana is a concert ukulele. Hence, my real name is "Alana" Cool having a ukulele named after me.
Its going to have my name lasered engraved with a pickup.

Melissa82
02-18-2010, 11:28 AM
Congrats, I'm very jealous. I can't even play my uke after playing a Koaloha last week.

mailman
02-18-2010, 11:46 AM

My KoAlana is a concert ukulele. Hence, my real name is "Alana" Cool having a ukulele named after me.

That's better! Having your name the same is cool, too. But what's this? Now you're just casually letting slip that your new uke has a pickup? What kind? Details! Details!

ukulelearp
02-18-2010, 12:04 PM
I like the look of those even better than the Koalohas. I've never played either. Enjoy!

sukie
02-18-2010, 12:06 PM
I have a KoAloha. That's why I'm curious.

KoAlohas sound so sweet. It feels good, it looks good, it sounds good. I love it. But I really like my other ukuleles too. Sometimes a song calls for a certain sound.

Ronnie Aloha
02-18-2010, 01:25 PM

What does Alana mean in Hawaiian?

GreyPoupon
02-18-2010, 06:55 PM
Maybe I am mistaken but it seems KoAloha has the most vocal fan base here at UU. Yes?

thejumpingflea
02-18-2010, 07:28 PM
Maybe I am mistaken but it seems KoAloha has the most vocal fan base here at UU. Yes?

That is a pretty safe assumption.

KoAloha has done nothing but astonish me for their input in this community.

hawaiianmusiclover06
02-18-2010, 11:52 PM
What does Alana mean in Hawaiian?

Ronnie...
My name Alana in Hawaiian means to awaken or awakening

SweetWaterBlue
02-19-2010, 01:41 AM

I don't know - Flea and Fluke owners are also pretty vocal. Asking a Flea/Fluke owner what kind of ukulele you should buy is like telling a life insurance salesman you are thinking of buying some life insurance LOL. I'd say they might give Koaloha owners a good run at least. Then, there are those Mainland guys, and ....

Would love to see pics of that Koalana though. I was sorely tempted to buy one when MGM had those Koalana Koa sopranos up on eBay last time.

Howie1947
02-19-2010, 03:23 AM
Say hello to "Brian" for me !

wickedwahine11
02-19-2010, 05:16 AM

I agree, I think so. Before I had a KoAloha, I felt like I was not a member of a huge fanclub and felt like a tad bit of an outsider. Now that I have one, I see what all the fuss was about and I feel like part of an ohana.

pithaya9
02-19-2010, 07:24 AM

You must not own a KoAloha. LOL

portlandjosh
02-19-2010, 07:45 AM
I don't know - Flea and Fluke owners are also pretty vocal.

Fluke/Flea owners and Dolphin owners are all pretty intense!

mailman
02-19-2010, 10:18 AM
I'm guessing Mainland owners and fans out-number either Koaloha or Fluke/Flea here on UU. I don't own any of these fine ukes, but intend to purchase a Mainland at UWC2010 in June. I've not read one bad word about a Mainland, nor one complaint about their customer service.

Mainlands are more affordable than Koaloha, and that may explain part of the difference. The most often touted feature of the Flea/Fluke may be it's durability, and that's a fine attribute, but durability and the ability to stand up by itself don't necessarily offset the instrument's unconventional looks/materials.

Not a day goes by without a rave review of a newly received Mainland on these pages. But I'm just sayin'....

sukie
02-19-2010, 10:32 AM
I have a flea and a KoAloha. I LIKE my flea. I LOVE my KoAloha. See the difference? However, they serve different purposes for me. But in no way am I dissing Fleas. They're really fun and seem extremely durable. Sound is ok too. I got to check out Lanark's new Mainland today. It is SWEET!

Wouldn't it be boring if everyone liked or loved the exact same thing?

GreyPoupon
02-19-2010, 11:13 AM
Huh. (Please only read the following if you are capable of self-depricating humor.)

So we can break down the target audiences as follows:

Flea / Flukers: THE PRACTICAL UTILITY UKER: Shopping for value and durability. Chuckles and roll eyes behind the backs of people buying four figure custom ukuleles. Prefers Dunkin' Donuts coffee.

Mainland: THE FEET ON THE GROUND MUSICIAN. Knows a real uke has to be made out of wood, but still understands the value of a dollar. Feels pity for the Utility Uker and a mixture of envy and disgust when meeting a Bourgoise Artist. Prefers Starbucks.

KoAloha: THE BOURGOISE ARTIST. Willing to pay significant extra bucks for an instrument that will allow him/herself to finally and truly reveal his/her inner soul. Values beauty over mortgage payments, children's college fund or lunch money. Only drinks coffee at locally owned boutique coffee houses or food co-ops that sell fair trade coffee.

(Disclaimer: The above is what passes for humor in NYC. )

Melissa82
02-19-2010, 01:02 PM
I'm guessing Mainland owners and fans out-number either Koaloha or Fluke/Flea here on UU. I don't own any of these fine ukes, but intend to purchase a Mainland at UWC2010 in June. I've not read one bad word about a Mainland, nor one complaint about their customer service.

Mainlands are more affordable than Koaloha, and that may explain part of the difference. The most often touted feature of the Flea/Fluke may be it's durability, and that's a fine attribute, but durability and the ability to stand up by itself don't necessarily offset the instrument's unconventional looks/materials.

Not a day goes by without a rave review of a newly received Mainland on these pages. But I'm just sayin'....Ok, I just want to say I am not bashing Mainland or Ohana when I say what I'm about to say...

I've own a Ohana ck-25 and Mainland Tenor Mahogany and played 2 koaloha's (the sceptre and long nect concert). Koaloha wins the race by far. The Mainland's neck is just too thick for me and the Koaloha just sings as an instrument. But, the K is a much higher quality piece than the Mainland. I place my Ohana between the 2. It's loud, sounds great and the neck is not too thick for me.

luvdat
02-19-2010, 04:16 PM
Neck width is almost never discussed in any of these threads.

Check out the post by spots in this Playability thread.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?24673-Playability&highlight=neck+width

Melissa82
02-19-2010, 04:38 PM
Neck width is almost never discussed in any of these threads.

Check out the post by spots in this Playability thread.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?24673-Playability&highlight=neck+widthWow, spots has a good post there. It's not the nut width I have a problem with, it's the girth of the neck. I call it thickness but I have no idea how to refer to it.

pithaya9
02-19-2010, 04:42 PM
Wow, spots has a good post there. It's not the nut width I have a problem with, it's the girth of the neck. I call it thickness but I have no idea how to refer to it.

I understand what you are saying Melissa.

sukie
02-19-2010, 05:25 PM
KoAloha: THE BOURGOISE ARTIST. Willing to pay significant extra bucks for an instrument that will allow him/herself to finally and truly reveal his/her inner soul. Values beauty over mortgage payments, children's college fund or lunch money. Only drinks coffee at locally owned boutique coffee houses or food co-ops that sell fair trade coffee.
Too funny. :-)
Actually I like making my own lattes! Am I bourgoise? I think I like that about myself. I tried to teach my little cousin that word when she was just learning how to talk.

I only bought a KoAloha because I could afford it though.

Lori
02-19-2010, 06:52 PM
Huh. (Please only read the following if you are capable of self-depricating humor.)

So we can break down the target audiences as follows:

Flea / Flukers: THE PRACTICAL UTILITY UKER: Shopping for value and durability. Chuckles and roll eyes behind the backs of people buying four figure custom ukuleles. Prefers Dunkin' Donuts coffee.

Mainland: THE FEET ON THE GROUND MUSICIAN. Knows a real uke has to be made out of wood, but still understands the value of a dollar. Feels pity for the Utility Uker and a mixture of envy and disgust when meeting a Bourgoise Artist. Prefers Starbucks.

(Disclaimer: The above is what passes for humor in NYC. )

I don't drink coffee. All my coffee money goes toward ukes!

–Lori

mailman
02-20-2010, 03:13 AM
Ok, I just want to say I am not bashing Mainland or Ohana when I say what I'm about to say...

I've own a Ohana ck-25 and Mainland Tenor Mahogany and played 2 koaloha's (the sceptre and long nect concert). Koaloha wins the race by far. The Mainland's neck is just too thick for me and the Koaloha just sings as an instrument. But, the K is a much higher quality piece than the Mainland. I place my Ohana between the 2. It's loud, sounds great and the neck is not too thick for me.

Keep in mind that my reply was aimed at GP's question about whether or not Koaloha had the most vocal fan base on UU. I was not meaning to put one intrument above another, or compare the qualities of each. My intent was to point out the vocal fan base Mainland enjoys on UU.

That said, I'm afraid we may have completely hijacked the OP's thread....

Melissa82
02-20-2010, 05:17 AM
Keep in mind that my reply was aimed at GP's question about whether or not Koaloha had the most vocal fan base on UU. I was not meaning to put one intrument above another, or compare the qualities of each. My intent was to point out the vocal fan base Mainland enjoys on UU.That's fine, doesn't mean I can't voice my opinion about something. :P

koa
02-20-2010, 06:19 AM
Congrads on your new 'ukulele!!! My travel uke is a 1st gen KoAlana soprano. Not a pretty uke and a bit nicked up, but a nice player and not bad sounding instrument.

Wow, spots has a good post there. It's not the nut width I have a problem with, it's the girth of the neck. I call it thickness but I have no idea how to refer to it.

Over time one of my picky issues with selecting an instrument has become the neck profile. My 1st all wood uke is a mutant KoAloha concert (KCM-00). Still my #1 or #2 'ukulele. "Mutant" neck. About 2cm taller above the nut than a normal KCM-00. String spacing seem "normal", but the extra lateral width outside the 1st & 4th string is an element that I really like. Due to thumb ligament damage thick necks are a pain to play. The KoAloha concert and long neck soprano (KSM-02) I play are about as thick as I like. The "KoAloha" sound, quality workmanship and playbability = bias KoAloha fan.

Seven57
02-20-2010, 07:05 AM
congrats on the new uke..i been wanting a koalana for awhile now.

bbycrts
02-20-2010, 08:05 AM
Too funny. :-)
Actually I like making my own lattes! Am I bourgoise? I think I like that about myself. I tried to teach my little cousin that word when she was just learning how to talk.

I only bought a KoAloha because I could afford it though.

Hm..I roast my own coffee. I am a coffee snob. I play a Kanile'a. But I don't have the skill to be considered an Artist. Can I be a NEO Bourgoise Artist?

bbycrts
02-20-2010, 08:08 AM
Over time one of my picky issues with selecting an instrument has become the neck profile. My 1st all wood uke is a mutant KoAloha concert (KCM-00). Still my #1 or #2 'ukulele. "Mutant" neck. About 2cm taller above the nut than a normal KCM-00. String spacing seem "normal", but the extra lateral width outside the 1st & 4th string is an element that I really like. Due to thumb ligament damage thick necks are a pain to play. The KoAloha concert and long neck soprano (KSM-02) I play are about as thick as I like. The "KoAloha" sound, quality workmanship and playbability = bias KoAloha fan.

Neck profile is my number one criteria for selecting a uke. I like the sound of sopranos, but was never able to find one with a wide-enough neck profile until I found my Kanile'a (and Lanikai LK-1s, which is very very very similar) - they are perfect. 1.5 inches at the nut instead of 1 3/8. It makes all the difference for me.

Kaneohe til the end
02-20-2010, 10:24 PM
AHA! so youre Alana. if it means anything, i engraved that uke! yay!

iDavid
02-20-2010, 10:56 PM
Ok, I just want to say I am not bashing Mainland or Ohana when I say what I'm about to say...

I think it is a Tenor vs Concert with Mainland and maybe Ohana. I would think both Ohana and Mainland have the same necks. My Ohana Zebra soprano and Bushman soprano are about the same.

Melissa82
02-21-2010, 02:45 AM
I think it is a Tenor vs Concert with Mainland and maybe Ohana. I would think both Ohana and Mainland have the same necks. My Ohana Zebra soprano and Bushman soprano are about the same.Hmm, I don't think so. I have a concert Ohana and Tenor Mainland and the neck size between the two is quite severe. but maybe someone who has a tenor Ohana and Mainland can clarify.

iDavid
02-21-2010, 03:23 AM
Really?

I was planning on getting a Mainland Concert, but I don't want that big of a neck. I want to know if a Bushman Concert and a Mainland Concert have the same size neck. The Bushman Concert I played had a much smaller neck than my Mainland Tenor.

Now you have me really wondering.

Maybe the Ohana and Bushman have the same necks. I still think it is Concert vs Tenor thing, or least I hope so.

pdxuke
02-21-2010, 06:11 AM
Really?

I was planning on getting a Mainland Concert, but I don't want that big of a neck. I want to know if a Bushman Concert and a Mainland Concert have the same size neck. The Bushman Concert I played had a much smaller neck than my Mainland Tenor.

Now you have me really wondering.

Maybe the Ohana and Bushman have the same necks. I still think it is Concert vs Tenor thing, or least I hope so.

Call Mike at Mainland. He'll know :-)

hawaiianmusiclover06
02-21-2010, 07:42 AM
AHA! so youre Alana. if it means anything, i engraved that uke! yay!

YAY! Now, you know who I am. Haha! Didnt want to reveal who I was until now. The engraving is beautiful. Who are you? LOL!