I got my second copyright strike ...

seeso

Super Duper Moderator (Retired)
Reaction score
UT7t7.gif

I'm thinking of taking down all my covers. What do you guys think?

It's a real shame as you've got so many great covers up. I don't think there's really any other option though, you can't risk losing your account. Keep hold of the videos if possible, maybe you'll be able to re-post them if/when some sort of improvement in this whole situation emerges.

Its a shame that this is all happening now.. If you do take them down make sure you still have copies of them incase you want to reupload them on another video streaming site.

As much as I want to say "Heck no!" that's not how this games works. :(

The sacrifice is worth it though; better some of your videos than none at all. But yeah, save the videos

I'd take the covers down just to keep your originals out there where people can enjoy them.

Add the chords & call them "educational."

Sorry to hear this dude.

This is all getting out of hand. I'm sure we are all or the same opinion that homebrew covers are harmless fun and can only add to sales of artist's music. There are so many tunes & artists that I have been introduced to by covers on youtube, when will they realise this is a good thing? It's a shame that so many people are being effected by the copyright nazis, surely it won't only harm youtube posters, but music industry evolution as a whole. Laws need to be changed as technology and society changes, that's bloody obvious. If I can see this, surely music executives earning 100 times my annual wage can see this. :confused:

I was thinking, if we label all our videos 'parody' rather than 'cover', will this keep the copyright nazis at bay?

btw: excuse my inelequent rant, but I am quite drunk atm.:drool:

Last edited:
ugh, I'm sure many people have made the same rant countless times... but this is my first time.
I guess I've been holding it in for a long time, but seeing the actual warning message for myself has just pushed me!!#!

LIKE SERIOUSLY, WHAT'S THE POINT OF THIS COPYRIGHT BULL!?!
WHAT DO THESE COMPANIES GAIN FROM BEING SO UPTIGHT?!!?!? ARE PEOPLE ACTUALLY GOING TO RECORD MP3'S OFF PEOPLES' COVERS WITH YOUTUBE'S GRAINY QUALITY SOUND IN PLACE OF A CD OF THE REAL EAGLES?!
LIKE OH NO! PEOPLE ARE ENJOYING THE LYRICS AND CHORDS OF THE EAGLES.. FOR FREE!!

AND I READ SOMEWHERE THAT COPYRIGHTS WERE NEVER MEANT TO LAST AS LONG AS THEY DO NOWADAYS. IT WAS ORIGINALLY SUPPOSED TO JUST LAST A SHORT TIME FOR THE CREATOR TO PROFIT FROM IT, AND THEN GO TO THE PUBLIC DOMAIN. BUT THE RECORD COMPANIES GOT GREEDY AND MADE COPYRIGHTS LAST FOR AGESSS SO THEY CAN MAKE THE LIVES OF AMATEUR COVER ARTISTS MISERABLE >_<

AND GUESS WHAT?
IT'S AN INFRINGEMENT OF COPYRIGHT TO COVER THE SONG "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" WITHOUT PAYING ROYALTIES >_<@!#!#
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Birthday_to_You#Copyright_issues_and_public_performances

THIS IS MADNESS!
NO!
THIS IS COPYRIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/end rant.

Last edited:
Wow, Seeso, this is truly disturbing. You could take them off, of course, or move them to a different account so your original material is left unscathed. I know these corporate "people" have their reasons, but c'mon! I don't get it. I'm new to the covers-on-YouTube scene, so it'll my turn at some point and I'll be left with the same dilemma you face. I don't put any stock in covers, though, so my original material would be the thing I'd worry most about losing (you do have the original files, I assume...?). Maybe you should caption all the covers with chords and call them instructional, or is that dodge a myth too?

Good luck, Mr. 2strikes... :(

maybe you could take all the covers off your channel and put them on a new "seeso covers" channel. that way if they delete the covers channel it won't be as big a blow.

good luck seeso! sorry to hear about the madness hitting you too.

Alright, all my covers are gone. I left a few up.

"I Want You Back" already had a claim on it, and the owners chose to put an ad on it, so that one's fine.

"Wind and Rain" is a public domain song. No copyright owner there.

I couldn't bring myself to take down the Captain Google tribute video. If they want to claim copyright on that one, I'll fight it.

Wow. I feel kind of sh**ty, but strangely liberated too. All those comments. All those views. I had racked up 3.8 million total video views.

Zoe brought up a good point. I wonder if this would happen to me if I was a partner. I've been resisting it all this time. Maybe it's time to start the partner process.

Bleh.

u
AND I READ SOMEWHERE THAT COPYRIGHTS WERE NEVER MEANT TO LAST AS LONG AS THEY DO NOWADAYS. IT WAS ORIGINALLY SUPPOSED TO JUST LAST A SHORT TIME FOR THE CREATOR TO PROFIT FROM IT, AND THEN GO TO THE PUBLIC DOMAIN.
I agree it is a farce. Here is the link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_Term_Extension_Act

If these terms were extended to the beginning of time (I supposed they are in Europe?), then NOTHING would be in the public domain. Ironically, Disney was a great benefactor of public domain as their first few movies were taken from public domain. Average copyright when Disney started in 1928... 30 years. Currently- life of the author plus 70 years! Likely to be extended each time that period is close to expiring. I love capitalism, but this is BS! The whole point of a copyright is to give you rights to your creation for a short time, then let everyone have it. Part of its purpose was to inspire creativity. That way you don't write 1 or 2 songs/movies/books whatever & rest on your laurels. However, when that interferes with money making, I guess our great politicians decided new creation concept is a luxury. I think Hollywood agrees with as many sequels as are currently being produced.

It's worth noting that "Hotel California" is published by Warner Music Group. What was the first strike you got?

I've been careful to not mention the names of songs I cover if I know they're Warner songs. For example, my cover of a certain song from a certain Norwegian pop group is merely titled "Taking on another 80's song". So far (knocking on wood) I've gotten no take-down notices.

The funny thing here is that Warner Bros. is shooting themselves in the foot. I'm not making any money off of covering their song, nor am I leeching any potential customers, let's face it. In fact, it actually benefits Warner if someone discovers the song through my cover and then seeks it out and purchases the real thing. But Warner's litigiousness encourages me to omit the name of the song and artist from the video, removing the one benefit they're getting!

Insert exasperated face palm here.

JJ

I've already decided that if I end up getting targeted and some videos taken down, I'm going to put everything back up under similar fake names. The videos would be less accessible, as people searching for "The Rolling Stones" wouldn't find my cover of "The Tumbling Rocks", but at least it would still be up there for my primary purposes which are the love of making music and sharing my efforts with like-minded people. I think you should consider that option.

I was thinking, if we label all our videos 'parody' rather than 'cover', will this keep the copyright nazis at bay?

Apparently, even song parodies are suspect to being considered "copyright infringement" if the original tune is used without permission (I forget the technicalities, but I know a few prominent YouTubers who have been targeted because of that).

This whole thing is heating my blood up more and more. I wonder if everyone still did cover songs, but not ones owned by WMG, the accounts would be all right. I mean, it seems like WMG is going full-force all of a sudden on everyone.

seeso, you're not the only one.

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/youtube/thread?tid=17e0364d26a0016d&hl=en

Add the chords & call them "educational."

Looks like that's not good enough. Someone posted in that link:

I have made a video explaining how to play this song 'hotel california" for education with annotations.
YT has blocked it and asked me to delete it last week.

Found an interesting site devoted to info on youtube takedowns.

youtomb

seeso, see their blog entry for 2-4-09. It's an intriguing idea. What if you voluntarily replace your covers with a vid about the copyright issue? Spread awareness, and also you'd be able to preserve your visitor comments, inbound links would still get to a page by you instead of a "removed" notice, etc.

In the info box you could just add that the original material was removed. I would think if the video itself is removed, it would be okay to leave the original verbage, keyword tags and such, and it would still be found by someone searching on a specific artist or piece. And if you find an alternative host, you could always put a link to it.

Reluctantly, I say you should take down all your covers. This is your last warning from them. Even if youtube isn't going to proactively police all the vids on your channel, you've been hit twice and will likely be again. Honestly, you have too much good stuff to offer to risk having your account terminated without notice for a third strike.

Top Bottom