Bought a hygrometer today...

Tigeralum2001

Reaction score
I was shocked at the reading! It has been between 30-45% in the house today, mostly on the low end of that spectrum.

I've been keeping my KoAloha humidified and in its case. I was worried about over-doing it... guess that is not the problem.

I think I'm going to get some Oasis humidifiers. Even after all of the threads discussing humidification, there seems to be no truly clear-cut winners. Have I missed something?

Last edited:
I use Oasis in all my 'ukulele cases. They work great always keeping them 50 - 55%. I also use the Hercos also.

attachment.php

Last edited:
I also have the Oasis humidifiers with the metal clip (I think it's clalled the OS-2?) and keep one in the case for each of my ukuleles. The humidity is always between 50 and 60 percent.

Last edited:
Humidity in my house is around 60-70 and I still use my Herco, but thinking about ordering n Oasis anyways, I think they work great

vehement

Humidity in my house is around 60-70 and I still use my Herco, but thinking about ordering n Oasis anyways, I think they work great

Why do you want a humidifier if the RH in your house is above the recommended?

I used herco in my Ameritage case and the one that came with it and they work perfectly.

Yep, I had a post about checking the accuracy of the little buggers not long ago, but my very best and most dependable low hunidity decection device is an Ohana SK-35G with a crack in the top. It goes from the right hand corner of the bridge to the edge of the top. When the humidity is real low you can't see or feel it. When the humidity is just right I can barely feel it and see it if I tilt the uke and hold it just right in the light. When the humidity is really high like in the summertime the crack hooves up and is very obvious. The braces inside the body and the bridge itself won't let it go any further. I bought it "as is" with no warranty for $51.00 a couple of years ago. It's a keeper.
Jude

I keep a Herco in the case and a Humitron in the body of my solid mahogany concert, this keeps the hygrometer reading about 47%. I use the Planet Waves humidifiers in my guitars and really wish they made one for ukes. I see they have come out with one that clips in the case, but would really like one that goes between the strings and hangs in the body. Here in the high desert the RH runs about 20-30 % and with the furnaces running indoors it's usually lower.

And all is revised here: http://doctroid.wordpress.com/2010/02/27/i-know-the-humidity/

Executive summary:
1. The Caliber electronic hygrometer is fine.
2. So is the Radio Shack Wireless Weather Forecaster.
3. All my analog hygrometers are junk. (Including the one being sold to clarinetists to keep their instruments from cracking, and the one being sold to pet owners to keep their reptiles and amphibians alive.)
4. Somehow my wet bulb psychrometer was either built or used wrong, in both its incarnations, despite its seeming idiot-proof nature. I don’t know what was wrong.

Humidifiers and itchy skin

Checking my five digital hygromerters I read, my den- 40%, 47%, 44% and in the music room 46% and 40%. I can't feel the sharp corners of the fret ends when I run my fingers down the edge of the fingerboards and my shins don't itch so all is well. Hygrometers tell me two things, the humidity is going up or the humidity is going down. :)
When we turn the furnace on in the fall as soon as my shins start to itch I know it's time to get out the Gold Bond Body Lotion and the Hunter humidifiers. :)

Jude

I take my ukuleles in the bathroom when I have a shower.The humidity in the house is around 30%.when I remove my ukuleles from the bathroom it runs in the high 40's.This was suggested by Joe Souza from Kanilea ukuleles.Just my 2 cents worth.

My neighbor down the street is a bluegrass mandolinist. He suggested the trick of taking the instrument into the bathroom when you shower, and I have done that on and off for a year or so. Not super regularly, but I try to on my days off at least. On my work days, I leave the house at 6 AM and it is all I can do to get myself ready in time. Forget about doing anything EXTRA!

Great suggestion!

I take my ukuleles in the bathroom when I have a shower.The humidity in the house is around 30%.when I remove my ukuleles from the bathroom it runs in the high 40's.This was suggested by Joe Souza from Kanilea ukuleles.Just my 2 cents worth.

Oasis, has now come out humidifier just for ukuleles that goes in the sound hole and attaches lightly to the strings of your instrument. The body of the humidifier is made from a fabric that allows water vapor (but not water) to pass through it and is filled with super absorbent polymer crystals. You add the water. As the vapor transmission takes place the humidifer shrinks so you can determine when it is ready to refill. Simply unscrew the black cap, fill with water to the top of the container, and replace the cap. The folks at the NAMM show recognized it as one of the best products at the show this year. For $20.00 it’s a pretty smart way to protect your instrument for years to come. You can order them from the Kani Ka Pila website. (There's a picture there, too.)

Elaine

Oasis, has now come out humidifier just for ukuleles that goes in the sound hole and attaches lightly to the strings of your instrument. The body of the humidifier is made from a fabric that allows water vapor (but not water) to pass through it and is filled with super absorbent polymer crystals. You add the water. As the vapor transmission takes place the humidifer shrinks so you can determine when it is ready to refill. Simply unscrew the black cap, fill with water to the top of the container, and replace the cap. The folks at the NAMM show recognized it as one of the best products at the show this year. For $20.00 it’s a pretty smart way to protect your instrument for years to come. You can order them from the Kani Ka Pila website. (There's a picture there, too.)

Elaine

Thanks for the link. I have 4 Oasis humidifiers, and I think they are my favorite so far. Glad to see that they figured out how to make it work for a uke/ string suspension. I find that they fit in the case pretty well too, and use the magnetic strip attachments.

–Lori

Top Bottom