PDA

View Full Version : Bought a hygrometer today...

Tigeralum2001
02-18-2010, 03:15 PM
I was shocked at the reading! It has been between 30-45% in the house today, mostly on the low end of that spectrum.

I've been keeping my KoAloha humidified and in its case. I was worried about over-doing it... guess that is not the problem.

I think I'm going to get some Oasis humidifiers. Even after all of the threads discussing humidification, there seems to be no truly clear-cut winners. Have I missed something?

pithaya9
02-18-2010, 04:46 PM
I use Oasis in all my 'ukulele cases. They work great always keeping them 50 - 55%. I also use the Hercos also.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6721

mds725
02-18-2010, 05:06 PM
I also have the Oasis humidifiers with the metal clip (I think it's clalled the OS-2?) and keep one in the case for each of my ukuleles. The humidity is always between 50 and 60 percent.

vehement
02-18-2010, 06:41 PM
Humidity in my house is around 60-70 and I still use my Herco, but thinking about ordering n Oasis anyways, I think they work great

Gipserio
02-18-2010, 09:34 PM
vehement

Humidity in my house is around 60-70 and I still use my Herco, but thinking about ordering n Oasis anyways, I think they work great

Why do you want a humidifier if the RH in your house is above the recommended?

upskydowncloud
02-19-2010, 03:41 AM
I used herco in my Ameritage case and the one that came with it and they work perfectly.

Doctroid
02-19-2010, 04:12 AM
I plan to post something about hygrometers on my blog soon, but here's a teaser. What's wrong with this picture?

http://doctroid.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/img_3164.jpg?w=500

dnewton2
02-19-2010, 04:17 AM
What's wrong with this picture?

I can't see it.

Faricelli
02-19-2010, 04:21 AM
I plan to post something about hygrometers on my blog soon, but here's a teaser. What's wrong with this picture?

They all read different. So which one is the best?

heyjude
02-19-2010, 04:49 AM
Yep, I had a post about checking the accuracy of the little buggers not long ago, but my very best and most dependable low hunidity decection device is an Ohana SK-35G with a crack in the top. It goes from the right hand corner of the bridge to the edge of the top. When the humidity is real low you can't see or feel it. When the humidity is just right I can barely feel it and see it if I tilt the uke and hold it just right in the light. When the humidity is really high like in the summertime the crack hooves up and is very obvious. The braces inside the body and the bridge itself won't let it go any further. I bought it "as is" with no warranty for $51.00 a couple of years ago. It's a keeper.
Jude

kenikas
02-19-2010, 07:57 AM
I keep a Herco in the case and a Humitron in the body of my solid mahogany concert, this keeps the hygrometer reading about 47%. I use the Planet Waves humidifiers in my guitars and really wish they made one for ukes. I see they have come out with one that clips in the case, but would really like one that goes between the strings and hangs in the body. Here in the high desert the RH runs about 20-30 % and with the furnaces running indoors it's usually lower.

Doctroid
02-20-2010, 05:31 PM
They all read different. So which one is the best?
All is revealed here: http://doctroid.wordpress.com/2010/02/20/i-just-want-to-know-the-humidity/

To give you the executive summary: the electronic one, the one a Stewart MacDonald customer calls "the finest instrument for measuring temp/humidity we have ever used", is totally wrong. As for the others, I believe the biggest is closest to right. But it won't fit in a uke case.

Doctroid
02-28-2010, 01:32 AM
And all is revised here: http://doctroid.wordpress.com/2010/02/27/i-know-the-humidity/

Executive summary:
1. The Caliber electronic hygrometer is fine.
2. So is the Radio Shack Wireless Weather Forecaster.
3. All my analog hygrometers are junk. (Including the one being sold to clarinetists to keep their instruments from cracking, and the one being sold to pet owners to keep their reptiles and amphibians alive.)
4. Somehow my wet bulb psychrometer was either built or used wrong, in both its incarnations, despite its seeming idiot-proof nature. I don’t know what was wrong.

heyjude
02-28-2010, 02:13 AM
Checking my five digital hygromerters I read, my den- 40%, 47%, 44% and in the music room 46% and 40%. I can't feel the sharp corners of the fret ends when I run my fingers down the edge of the fingerboards and my shins don't itch so all is well. Hygrometers tell me two things, the humidity is going up or the humidity is going down. :)
When we turn the furnace on in the fall as soon as my shins start to itch I know it's time to get out the Gold Bond Body Lotion and the Hunter humidifiers. :)

Jude

Big Bob
02-28-2010, 12:28 PM
I take my ukuleles in the bathroom when I have a shower.The humidity in the house is around 30%.when I remove my ukuleles from the bathroom it runs in the high 40's.This was suggested by Joe Souza from Kanilea ukuleles.Just my 2 cents worth.

Chris Tarman
02-28-2010, 08:13 PM
My neighbor down the street is a bluegrass mandolinist. He suggested the trick of taking the instrument into the bathroom when you shower, and I have done that on and off for a year or so. Not super regularly, but I try to on my days off at least. On my work days, I leave the house at 6 AM and it is all I can do to get myself ready in time. Forget about doing anything EXTRA!

rude808boy
03-01-2010, 05:29 AM
Great suggestion!

I take my ukuleles in the bathroom when I have a shower.The humidity in the house is around 30%.when I remove my ukuleles from the bathroom it runs in the high 40's.This was suggested by Joe Souza from Kanilea ukuleles.Just my 2 cents worth.

Chris Tarman
03-01-2010, 06:54 AM
Just remember not to take it IN the shower!

Elainede
03-04-2010, 01:11 PM
Oasis, has now come out humidifier just for ukuleles that goes in the sound hole and attaches lightly to the strings of your instrument. The body of the humidifier is made from a fabric that allows water vapor (but not water) to pass through it and is filled with super absorbent polymer crystals. You add the water. As the vapor transmission takes place the humidifer shrinks so you can determine when it is ready to refill. Simply unscrew the black cap, fill with water to the top of the container, and replace the cap. The folks at the NAMM show recognized it as one of the best products at the show this year. For $20.00 itís a pretty smart way to protect your instrument for years to come. You can order them from the Kani Ka Pila (http://kani-ka-pila.com/wordpress/catalogue/more-great-stuff)website. (There's a picture there, too.)

Elaine

Lori
03-05-2010, 05:41 AM
Oasis, has now come out humidifier just for ukuleles that goes in the sound hole and attaches lightly to the strings of your instrument. The body of the humidifier is made from a fabric that allows water vapor (but not water) to pass through it and is filled with super absorbent polymer crystals. You add the water. As the vapor transmission takes place the humidifer shrinks so you can determine when it is ready to refill. Simply unscrew the black cap, fill with water to the top of the container, and replace the cap. The folks at the NAMM show recognized it as one of the best products at the show this year. For $20.00 it’s a pretty smart way to protect your instrument for years to come. You can order them from the Kani Ka Pila (http://kani-ka-pila.com/wordpress/catalogue/more-great-stuff)website. (There's a picture there, too.)

Elaine

Thanks for the link. I have 4 Oasis humidifiers, and I think they are my favorite so far. Glad to see that they figured out how to make it work for a uke/ string suspension. I find that they fit in the case pretty well too, and use the magnetic strip attachments.

–Lori

SailingUke
03-05-2010, 06:47 AM
I use a Radio Shack Thermo/Hygro. I have it mouted on the wall, but I move it from case to case to see what is happening inside the case.
If you get the case over wet or dry, it can be far different than the house/room.

kenikas
03-05-2010, 07:18 AM
Oasis, has now come out humidifier just for ukuleles that goes in the sound hole and attaches lightly to the strings of your instrument. Elaine
Thanks for the link Elaine, I'll definetely check them out. I still like the Planet Waves style for their simplicity and cost and hope they come out with a uke sized one.

koa
03-05-2010, 11:37 AM
I purchased couple of the uke size Oasis humidifiers to get free shipping on Elderly Music's string sale. Up to date IMHO it's one of the better in the body humidifier. I have couple DIY Hydrosource/RxVial humidifiers used as case humidifiers. Once at equilibrium the DIYs keep the cases at ~55% RH. After adding the Oasis (placed in the sound hole) the readings are 55-58%. Without DIYs, Oasis alone RH~55%. I like these uke size sound hole humidifiers. They seem to keep RH within a nice range.

Regarding the wide range of readings in hygrometers. You get what you more or less pay for regarding accuracy and precision. Every decent hygrometer I have looked at was priced over $100 and were a bit too large to fit inside a case. Own couple PlanetWaves(in the junk drawer), an Oasis and the inexpensive Humistats. None correlated to within 5% of an ok electronic home hygrometers. PWs were either + or - 5 or more%, Oasis & Humistats are ~5% off. Problem with the PW and Oasis are I can't figure out how to calibrate the units. Humistat requires a small flat head screwdriver. Precision of the Humistat is close enough.

mds725
03-05-2010, 12:10 PM
I have the Oasis humidifiers (OS-2) with the metal clips to which the humidifiers attach with a magnet, and they do a great job. The new Oasis humidifiers that fit into the uke hole seem really cool, although I imagine they won't work with Kala thinline travel ukulelels ....

Tigeralum2001
03-05-2010, 01:04 PM
I actually bought 3 Oasis ukulele humidifiers from MacNichol Guitars on Amazon.com. $16.95 each, free shipping. That is the best deal I have found on these awesome humidifiers!

Wagster
03-05-2010, 03:15 PM
I have heard that most analog hygrometers are worthless and I tend to believe this.

If you are going to buy one, buy a digital unit.

And although the lower end digitals cannot be "calibrated" as such, you can still do a salt water test on them to find a reference point and then just add or subtract the percentage points that it is off from the actual reading.

Personally, I worry more about keeping my cigars hydrated than I do my ukes. Hmmmmmm....maybe I should build a humidor that I can store BOTH cigars and ukes in???

Doctroid
03-05-2010, 04:03 PM
From my testing I've concluded (1) the salt test isn't as easy as it sounds, or at least the directions I was following probably resulted in RH around 60%-65%, not 75% and (2) the four electronic hygrometers I tested (2 Caliber III, 2 in a Radio Shack room/outdoor unit) agreed with each other to within 2% over a range from about 30% to 65%, and 3 of them (I didn't include the 4th) agreed within 2% with the 45% expected to be produced by a Humidipak. So I tend to believe these are accurate enough.