Kala Acacia Tenor

cornfedgroove

Reaction score
I'd been kicking around getting one of these one day, but it appears that the headstock is a much lighter color than the actual body and its just one of those aesthetic things that my mind rejects.

I've never held one, so I'm just wondering if the colors are actually different or is it just the images I've seen...or are some headstocks darker than others or what?

I'm mostly just itching with UAS. I wanna stay in the $300 range and have really focused on Kala and Mainland ukes since I own Lanikai. What are some others that I can look at, if for no other reason than to just look and be educated?

I'm not sure what photos you've been looking at. It may be that in the specific ukulele in the photos you've seen, the headstock has less grain than the wood in the body, and higher concentrations of grain make the wood look darker. There's also the possibility of optical illusion -- both the headstock and the body are next to a darker fretboard, but because the headstock is smaller, it may look lighter. If it helps, here are some photos of my acacia tenor. In the full shot, the headstock may look a little lighter, but they're actually pretty much the same color. The body's more grainy than the headstock, though. Of course, this will vary from one ukulele to another, and perhaps you could get whoever you buy from to send you photos of the actual ukulele you'd be getting.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
The headstock on mine is the same color as the body, although I'm not certain that they use the same wood for the neck/headstock. I remember someone here talking about the binding on theirs being the same color as the body, while mine is much, much darker. So there may be some variation in coloring from one to another. If you're not buying it in person, you might ask for specific pictures to be sure you're getting the coloring your looking for.

Just by chance, are you looking at the pictures on Elderly's website? That headstock does look very light, but I'd guess it's a reflection.

~Michael

Pretty much the same grain & color here.

KA-ASAC-T-full.jpg

As mentioned by AzMicheal I also guess that It's a reflection. On the following pic the headstock also seems to be much lighter.

KA-ASAC-T_half_buffed.jpg

By the way: binding on the KA-ASAC-T is rosewood.

sweet...thanks much everyone for the great pics. It relieves me greatly. Everything I've seen must have just been different lighting off the headstock angle. I may have to get one.

I think what happens is that the pictures get taken from straight on. and the sharp angle on the headstock is bouncing light differently. I just grabbed mine and tried to look at the body and headstock at the same angles, they seem to have equivalent color & grain.

One of my favorite parts of the headstock design is the layers you can see in the slots.

photo.jpgphoto(2).jpgIMG_0079.jpgIMG_0078.jpgIMG_0081.jpg

(Two of those pics are with my lousy iPhone camera, but were taken to try and show equal coloring)

Top Bottom