YouTube copyright stuff and contests?

CountryMouse

Reaction score
Do you think it's safe for people to be hosting contests that "force" people into copyright dangers re: YouTube? I think Todd/Brother Sonny/doogey9 had the right idea: Folk Music Extravaganza: nothing later than 1964, and preferably earlier.

So: public domain stuff and/or originals for contests? Do you think this is something everyone should be thinking over before hosting contests, what with the new harsh methods of crackdown on YouTube for ukulele players in particular?

Thoughts please, as I'm nervous about having the two Beatles songs up for *that* contest!

wee timorous CountryMouse

Do you think it's safe for people to be hosting contests that "force" people into copyright dangers...

nobody forces you to enter any contests. If you don't want to, don't do it. If you do enter, I wouldn't really worry too much, the worst you'll get is a takedown notice. If it's your first strike, take the song down, and you'll be fine.

It's still not necessarily legal so I can't advise it, but using Todou could do the trick. I have my doubts that the chinese government will volunteer your information to US companies, if they even bother to look there.

Last edited:
I don't fully understand the process, so I may be out in left field here. In order to submit a video for a UU contest, must it necessarily be posted on YouTube first? Is it not possible to embed a video directly into a UU post reply, bypassing YT in the process?

I've thought of hosting a video contest myself, and thought this might circumvent the problem.

I don't fully understand the process, so I may be out in left field here. In order to submit a video for a UU contest, must it necessarily be posted on YouTube first? Is it not possible to embed a video directly into a UU post reply, bypassing YT in the process?

I've thought of hosting a video contest myself, and thought this might circumvent the problem.

1. No, it's not possible to directly host a video UU (as far as I know... unless you're Aldrine, of course!). All embedded videos are actually hosted by some other site (YouTube, Hulu, etc.)
  2. Even if it were possible, that doesn't actually solve the underlying problem. The songs would still be under copyright and the copyright holders who choose to go after the people who are covering them could still do it no matter where we put the videos. It's not actually YouTube's fault--they're merely reacting to the (legal, but ill-advised) wishes of the copyright holders.

JJ

If it's any comfort, Ms Mouse, that contest is about to be decided. Matt says he'll announce the winner this Sunday... Kinda makes it more exciting don't you think?

Good luck!

Oh, I don't think we're going to win--we just had fun doing the video. :) Cat'r and I are going to have to find some OOOOLD songs to do together. :)

CountryMouse

Oh, I don't think we're going to win--we just had fun doing the video. :) Cat'r and I are going to have to find some OOOOLD songs to do together. :)

CountryMouse

Aw, your stuff was great! Plus, from what I recall in the judging criteria, the more fun you have, the more chance you have to win, so hang in there. I entered a couple dark tunes, so that probably counts me out. On the other hand, that's my way of having fun, so who knows? So many great entries, I don't how thejumpingflea's gonna be able to pick...

Can't wait to hear your neeeeew ooooooldies!

It's still not necessarily legal so I can't advise it, but using Todou could do the trick. I have my doubts that the chinese government will volunteer your information to US companies, if they even bother to look there.

That is A BRILLIANT IDEA!!!!!!!!! :D I will look into that and if it's doable I'll make a short tutorial on how to get started on Todou or Youku. I am now 100% convinced that we have to leave Youtube to get our freedom back. Thank you for your great idea.

Tudou and Youku are both under heavy fire from music/TV/movie industries. Both of them announced in 2009/2010 to cooperate and launched reporting systems for copyright owners. They also hold agreements with major copyright holders and pay some fees. Here is an Article on this very issue.

Tudou and Youku are now at that point, youtube was about 1-2 years ago, no rebel romantics there, just sheer profits.

I -additionally- want to point out that it may be true, that chinese government will not necessarily volunteer your private information to US companies, but I am not sure about chinese companies covering their backs. Why should they not sell you out? They even proved, that they are not really into respecting foreigners rights....Just a thought.:(

Tudou and Youku are both under heavy fire from music/TV/movie industries. Both of them announced in 2009/2010 to cooperate and launched reporting systems for copyright owners. They also hold agreements with major copyright holders and pay some fees. Here is an Article on this very issue.

Tudou and Youku are now at that point, youtube was about 1-2 years ago, no rebel romantics there, just sheer profits.

I -additionally- want to point out that it may be true, that chinese government will not necessarily volunteer your private information to US companies, but I am not sure about chinese companies covering their backs. Why should they not sell you out? They even proved, that they are not really into respecting foreigners rights....Just a thought.:(

Oh man. Just when I thought we'd have a new platform :( Thanks for the hint.

If you do a cover song, and if you don't put the name of the song or the artist anywhere in the title or description, then I'm pretty sure your chances of getting a "strike" are very, very slim.

They can't automatically match the audio, because it's not the original version and the audio will be significantly different. And they can't automatically match on title or artist because you're not putting that anywhere. The only way they'd catch it is if a human in their employ actually stumbled upon it, or if a snitchy fellow YouTuber reported it, both of which aren't very likely, IMHO.

I'm just sayin'...

JJ

CountryMouse

There are enough old out of copyright songbooks on Ianchadwicks website to keep you busy for several years. Fortunately for me, I actually like the old stuff. Many you probably already know, but it helps to be able to read music for the ones you don't, since most are not tabbed, other than the chords.

Last edited:
There are enough old out of copyright songbooks on Ianchadwicks website to keep you busy for several years. Fortunately for me, I actually like the old stuff. Many you probably already know, but it helps to be able to read music for the ones you don't, since most are not tabbed, other than the chords.

What a great idea! I've been told, though, that anything newer than about 1928 is not "safe" to do on YouTube. I'll have to check everything.

I don't sight-read music, but sometimes I can figure out songs I don't know. I'll have to see what I can do.

Thanks for the link! :)

CountryMouse

Top Bottom