out of tune

Frankos

Reaction score
Been studying guitar for a few years and decided to start playing the uke. I recently bought the Mitchell MU-100. I like the sound, but it's a b*tch to tune! I tune the octaves and the unison is out, I tune to the unison and octaves are off. Is that the nature of the uke? I know even the best fretted string instraments are imperfect in this sense, but it can be really annoying when one chord is perfectly in tune then the next chord is off.

Thanks,

Frankos

uuwelcome.gif

i have the MU-70 and it's easy to tune, and it stays in tune very well (and the intonation is great).

Last edited:
Unless the instrument itself is totally out of tune, with failing intonation etc, you might try buying a set of fresh strings (I take it the current ones have been on long enough to stretch out?) of a reputable brand and see if it gets better. You will find numerous accounts of people who fixed their uke just by putting on new strings. When that is not the case, going back to the store and having them look at it is also an option.
I hope you find the answer.

if u wanna tune it gcea - add me on msn and u play it through the mic and i can do it through my tuner lol - done it to my friends ukulele and it worked haha :D assuming u have a mic ^^

*edit*
to see if its all in tune.. maybe the strings are making it like this, or the whole uke.. who knows.

Besides the strings and intonation, another thing that happens particularly when you switch from guitar to uke is that you may tend to press the strings too hard, causing them to go sharp. Due to the short scale, this happens very quickly.

How long have you been playing it?

My first one took a good 5-6 weeks until the strings fully stretched in a held their tune.

Hey Frankos,
Here's a site that has an online tuner...if you can call it that. Just click on the note you want and the sound plays over your computer speakers.

http://www.ukeschool.com/instruction.html

Been studying guitar for a few years and decided to start playing the uke. I recently bought the Mitchell MU-100. I like the sound, but it's a b*tch to tune! I tune the octaves and the unison is out, I tune to the unison and octaves are off. Is that the nature of the uke? I know even the best fretted string instraments are imperfect in this sense, but it can be really annoying when one chord is perfectly in tune then the next chord is off.

Thanks,

Frankos

Top Bottom