New Kala Buzz/Rattle

Scottz

Reaction score
I have a fairly new Kala Koa concert and just yesterday I noticed a very annoying buzz or rattle when plucking the C string. It seems to be coming from the bridge area rather than the frets. I can't seem to find anything amiss with it. I did install a Washburn Romp into it a few weeks ago. I removed it in case that was the source but the noise is still there. Any ideas what I should be checking for? The bridge seems intact and sound, I felt around inside as best as I could with my finger and there doesn't seem to be any loose bracing.

First thing I'd do is flip the bridge saddle around 180 degrees. If the buzz goes away or moves to a different string then the saddle is the problem . If that doesn't work, try changing the string(s).

It's taken me almost a month to address this. Turns out it was just fret buzz from a low saddle. It was shimmed from the factory. I decided it was an excellent opportunity to learn how to make my own saddle. It worked out fine, my first try actually has the 12th fret intonation pretty close. The uke is now louder and has a better sound in my opinion. I learned, also, that when grinding natural materials, it's best to do it outside. The garage still stinks!

My Lanikai is having the same issue right now. Now I have no experience with guitar/uke repair...so making a new saddle is out of the question. Could I just stick a piece of index card under the saddle to lift it up?

I tried that first and the sound was horrible. The paper dampens the sound too much.

I changed the strings (to Fremont Black Line if anyone was wondering) and I think the buzzing may have had something to do with the wonky tie the person used. When I took the strings off I noticed the top loop was real loose, so I'm thinking it may have been vibrating against the bridge.

So far, I don't hear any buzzing when I strum (just terribly out of tune strings). So I'll see how it sounds once the strings settle.

New saddles are cheap and plentiful on ebay. If you have patience and sandpaper you can make/fit a new saddle. Experience not required! :)

Length and height are easy enough to tweak. Width less so. Best to make sure the width of any replacement ordered is correct, even if it means getting one that's too long.

Most common sizes are available.

Shims are a compromise. You need a material thin enough to make a small difference in height, but hard and dense enough to transmit the sound vibrations. Hardwood veneers can work. Paper and cardboard are not suitable. Nor are soft plastics.

Oddly, the plastic of certain margarine containers does work quite well, but only some. The softer and more pliable the less chance it'll work. Brittle and only moderate pliability is a better sign.

I have a tenor that came with a wound 3rd string and I thought I would like the feel of a plain string better, so I tried a Worth brown and then an Aquila, but both produced an initial buzz when plucked. I understand this is because the unwound tenor 3rd strings vibrate over a wider range, thus hitting, I guess, the first fret on an open string. Does this make sense, and if so, is there any way to remedy it, other than raising the action? I like the action as it is now and would not want to mess with the way it was set up when I received it.

Top Bottom