Carvin AG100D for Acoustic Electric Ukulele

BlueInGreenUkulele

Reaction score
So I received my Kepasa Gypsy Rose tenor last summer. It has a mi-si pickup. I want to get a good quality acoustic amp for not much money. Anyone ever try a Carvin AG100d amp with a ukulele? The carvin looks really good but I know the earlier models had some technical problems which are now allegedly fixed. Any input would be appreciated.

I have the good fortune of living about 10 miles from the carvin Factory in North County San Diego. I also own and have tested a lot of their gear. The AG100 has the same powerplant as the S400D. The S400D has the advantage of being able to run on internal battery power in addition to A/C. Both sound great with a uke. I don't know your application, but here's a review:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?5333-Battery-powered-ukulele-amplification

I also recently purchased a Roland AC-33 battery and A/C powered acoustic instrument amp. I will do a review on this amazing compact busker's dream later. Ric

Roland seems to be a rather popular amp choice for ukulele players.
I use a Microcube myself, and I know that countless others here do too :D (it's not really purely an acoustic amp, but it has an acoustic-setting option and a heap of effects that can be used on acoustic instruments).

I think MGM also uses a Roland Cube amp of some sort.. Streetcube or something.

Thanks. I will check out the Roland too. None of my local stores cary "acoustic" amps so I am stuck buying online without any idea how they sound.

Lots of power difference between the little cubes and the Carvin you mentioned. My buddy has an older Carvin (no problems ever) and it sounds fine.
Take a look at the Fender acoustic amps - they have a string dynamics control that is really good with nylon stringed instruments, for dialing out that peizo pickup quackiness.
One of the sweetest sounding amps is the larger Roland - 30 or 60 watt versions.
I use a Fishman Loudbox - very powerful and natural sounding - also a Microcube - small and nice for uke on the JC clean setting.

One of the sweetest sounding amps is the larger Roland - 30 or 60 watt versions.

+1. I tried the AC90 and it blew me away. It sounded so good. If I had to buy something today on Musicians Friend, that is what I'd get. I also had a chance to play a Fishman Soloamp. I wasn't impressed in Guitar Center w/out a preamp, but at my friend's house I used my Pro EQ Platinum with stellar results. It's kind of spendy though.

Top Bottom