PDA

View Full Version : Carvin AG100D for Acoustic Electric Ukulele

BlueInGreenUkulele
02-19-2010, 01:46 PM
So I received my Kepasa Gypsy Rose tenor last summer. It has a mi-si pickup. I want to get a good quality acoustic amp for not much money. Anyone ever try a Carvin AG100d amp with a ukulele? The carvin looks really good but I know the earlier models had some technical problems which are now allegedly fixed. Any input would be appreciated.

ricdoug
02-19-2010, 08:47 PM
I have the good fortune of living about 10 miles from the carvin Factory in North County San Diego. I also own and have tested a lot of their gear. The AG100 has the same powerplant as the S400D. The S400D has the advantage of being able to run on internal battery power in addition to A/C. Both sound great with a uke. I don't know your application, but here's a review:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?5333-Battery-powered-ukulele-amplification

I also recently purchased a Roland AC-33 battery and A/C powered acoustic instrument amp. I will do a review on this amazing compact busker's dream later. Ric

kissing
02-19-2010, 10:36 PM
Roland seems to be a rather popular amp choice for ukulele players.
I use a Microcube myself, and I know that countless others here do too :D (it's not really purely an acoustic amp, but it has an acoustic-setting option and a heap of effects that can be used on acoustic instruments).

I think MGM also uses a Roland Cube amp of some sort.. Streetcube or something.

BlueInGreenUkulele
02-20-2010, 01:58 AM
Thanks. I will check out the Roland too. None of my local stores cary "acoustic" amps so I am stuck buying online without any idea how they sound.

harpdog
02-20-2010, 02:21 AM
Lots of power difference between the little cubes and the Carvin you mentioned. My buddy has an older Carvin (no problems ever) and it sounds fine.
Take a look at the Fender acoustic amps - they have a string dynamics control that is really good with nylon stringed instruments, for dialing out that peizo pickup quackiness.
One of the sweetest sounding amps is the larger Roland - 30 or 60 watt versions.
I use a Fishman Loudbox - very powerful and natural sounding - also a Microcube - small and nice for uke on the JC clean setting.

Brad Bordessa
02-20-2010, 06:40 AM
One of the sweetest sounding amps is the larger Roland - 30 or 60 watt versions.

+1. I tried the AC90 and it blew me away. It sounded so good. If I had to buy something today on Musicians Friend, that is what I'd get. I also had a chance to play a Fishman Soloamp. I wasn't impressed in Guitar Center w/out a preamp, but at my friend's house I used my Pro EQ Platinum with stellar results. It's kind of spendy though.